PC, Build Or Buy?

Lots of good advice and as I am retIring soon I should have the time for a self build, if not the funds.

Is it easy to check the compatibility of the components?

Nobody seems to be pushing Macs.
You can't self-build Macs.....

My selection process is similar to Graham's except that I end with the case. I find it helps knowing what I want to put in it and I'm a bit picky about fans, filtering, front panel bays, etc.

My selection process is similar to Graham's except that I end with the case. I find it helps knowing what I want to put in it and I'm a bit picky about fans, filtering, front panel bays, etc.

I appreciate you can’t self build Macs! I mean for a machine that is mainly used for photo editing and given the increasing size of files and software becoming more resource demanding, are Macs a better option? I probably would not change as I have always used PCs and Apple tend to not allow much if any customisation, are expensive and do their best to tie you in to their system. He says, typing this on iPad and sitting nest to mr iPhone. However a lot of people consider them to be much better than PCs.

Lots of good advice and as I am retIring soon I should have the time for a self build, if not the funds.

Is it easy to check the compatibility of the components?

Nobody seems to be pushing Macs.
PCPartPicker seems to check the compatibility as you choose the components. When I chose the parts for my PC, it highlighted a potential problem between the motherboard and the CPU, saying the BIOS may need to updated to use the chosen CPU.

As it was, the BIOS did not need updating to work with the CPU, but I updated the motherboard to the latest BIOS anyway. :)

PCPartPicker can be used as one site to choose and buy parts from multiple sites, but as with any sites like this, they may not have connections with all online retailers, so it may be possible to buy the chosen parts cheaper. If cash is tight, it may be worth doing an extra web search for prices once the components are chosen. ;)

Last edited:
I suspect that once intel based Mac's have been dead for 3 or 4 years there will be no more hackintoshes running current osx.
You could well be right. Intel Mac’s can (apparently) run current MacOS via OpenCore and I think that’s currently the same for Hackintoshes. How much of a compromise that is I don’t know.

My late 2012 iMac is currently stuck on OSX Catalina. Will be prising it open soon to do an SSD upgrade, stuff in some extra RAM and may go with OpenCore to try a later OS.

I appreciate you can’t self build Macs! I mean for a machine that is mainly used for photo editing and given the increasing size of files and software becoming more resource demanding, are Macs a better option? I probably would not change as I have always used PCs and Apple tend to not allow much if any customisation, are expensive and do their best to tie you in to their system. He says, typing this on iPad and sitting nest to mr iPhone. However a lot of people consider them to be much better than PCs.
I've been using Windows since V1 or 2 when it was considered to be just the running environment for Pagemaker which is what our customers were buying. I expect a Mac might do the imaging processing better but probably not enough for my modest needs for me to try to retrain on an alien OS. I also have a few vital bits of software that are Windows-only; yes, they might run under Parallels but that's an added and unnecessary complication.

Back