Pedal Power Thread

I also have no spare room but I still keep my road bike + mountain bike in my bedroom.

The only problem encountered so far was when one of my road bike tyres suddenly decided to instantly deflate from 150psi in the middle of the night - frightened the life out of me!

My wife would move me and the bike out of the house if I did that!

Am bit busy this weekend...
Yesterday and today, woke up early, cycle to rowing club, row for 1-1.5h and cycle back...
I will be dying tomorrow....and my back will kill me...
But weather is so nice today so can't miss it!!!

Well I start my commuting to work tomorrow.
8.2 mild round trip so fairly steady.
Will supplement the commuting with 10/20 mile cycles at the weekend.
I've also downloaded the strava app to try out.

As a side note what are you guys using for cycle computers these days?

None. I use a GPS tracking app on my iPhone but it's stashed in a pocket. I have nothing on my bars.

Maybe in a few years I'll consider them worth the cost, but for the moment I think they're far too steep for what they offer.

I've been doing a few early morning rides (12 miles before the normal 8 to work) with a friend - I'm really enjoying it as I've only ever really cycled for transport rather than leisure.
Anyway we're now planning a ride from York to Edinburgh in September (220miles) in order to raise money for http://www.martinhouse.org.uk/ who are an excellent cause (as my friend knows first hand). Time to get training as I've never done anywhere near that kind of distance!

None. I use a GPS tracking app on my iPhone but it's stashed in a pocket. I have nothing on my bars.

Maybe in a few years I'll consider them worth the cost, but for the moment I think they're far too steep for what they offer.

Same here...

The iPhone is a million electronics rolled into one!
Plus the Strava app is the best gps tracking iPhone app i've used! It beats the running apps hands down.

Well I start my commuting to work tomorrow.
8.2 mild round trip so fairly steady.
Will supplement the commuting with 10/20 mile cycles at the weekend.
I've also downloaded the strava app to try out.

As a side note what are you guys using for cycle computers these days?

I use a Garmin 910 XT watch. Partly because I wanted something that would do running, swimming and cycling as want to get into triathlons over the next year or two, partly because I wanted to treat myself, and partly because I didn't like using my phone.

Good luck with the commute, let us know how you get on.

A garmin edge 200 will track movements via GPS SMS present them on a map. It will calculate speeds via the GPS tracking too. BUT the edge 200 can not pair up to ANT+ devices, cadence sensors, HR monitors, power meters etc.

If you want more expansive statistics then the Edge 500/510 pairs to ANT+ which subsequently will provide you with more stats. You can also plan a route which will be displayed as a line god you to follow.

Top of the range edge 800/810 has all the same functions but also has a map, and can be expanded with foreign maps. So if you like to go out and ride off the cuff then it could be the better option.

I use the Edge 500 with cadence and HR. The basic unit can be picked up very cheap now as its been superseded by the 510.

It's ok using your phone, but GPS tracking eats the battery. I like to know that if I have a problem 50 miles from home I have power in my phone.

Sorry maybe I miss worded my last post. In cycle computer I meant ones for speed/distance/trip etc.
I I needed anything more I have my phone.

bloody wind today!!!
felt like standing still on way to work ...

dropping bike for service after work today.
Will be nice shiny and fast again;)

It is either me loosing power in legs - am doing more excercise lately so coult that be the case ? or on faster gears, it feels really heavy to push...

bloody wind today!!!
felt like standing still on way to work ...

dropping bike for service after work today.
Will be nice shiny and fast again;)

It is either me loosing power in legs - am doing more excercise lately so coult that be the case ? or on faster gears, it feels really heavy to push...

Where do you commute to \ from roughly?

I struggled as well today - not sure if it was the wind (it didn't feel that bad today to me but was there), or my backpack that was a bit heavier with laptop, chargers etc in it, but could not get going this morning. Been for my first swim of the year at lunch today as well so going to be a hard cycle back.

The number of cyclists going through red lights at London Bridge this morning was unreal...

Where do you commute to \ from roughly?

I struggled as well today - not sure if it was the wind (it didn't feel that bad today to me but was there), or my backpack that was a bit heavier with laptop, chargers etc in it, but could not get going this morning. Been for my first swim of the year at lunch today as well so going to be a hard cycle back.

The number of cyclists going through red lights at London Bridge this morning was unreal...

My commute is short. Around 6-7km one way.
Woolwich to Greenwich.
Wind almost blew me off the bike on crossing on way home... not sure how I managed to hold it upright....

My commute is short. Around 6-7km one way.
Woolwich to Greenwich.
Wind almost blew me off the bike on crossing on way home... not sure how I managed to hold it upright....

Not too far from mine in SE london Wind was a lot worse on way back. The side wind is always the scariest, never seem to find the tailwind though!

I did nearly come off the bike this morning, I hit a larger than expected bump or something in the road, I didn't see it, knocked my hands off hoods, a little worrying for a split second....

Ok, now I know I have a problem. I just found the wet, windy and dirty cycle home perversely enjoyable.

Riding home from work is one thing. It's when you want to go out in these conditions for a training ride that you know you are hooked!

Riding home from work is one thing. It's when you want to go out in these conditions for a training ride that you know you are hooked!

I did think about going back out after dinner but I didn't want to have 3 showers today and decided to develop a film instead. Perhaps tomorrow! ;)

Anyone ride a Trek 1.5?

I went to the Heathrow cycle hub today as I am thinking of getting a new bike on the cycle to work scheme and my company insists it must be bought from there.

They only sell Trek and Felt road bikes and this one caught my eye.

I currently ride a Carrera hybrid bike but i'm thinking of entering some races and want a road bike to take my cycling to the next level.

Last edited:
Anyone ride a Trek 1.5?

I went to the Heathrow cycle hub today as I thinking of getting a new bike on the cycle to work scheme and my company insists it must be bought from there.

They only sell Trek and Felt road bikes and this one caught my eye.

I currently ride a Carrera hybrid bike but i'm thinking of entering some races and want a road bike to take my cycling to the next level.

Would they not order a certain bike in for you?

Almost feel if my bike yesterday courtesy of two ladies with prams on cycle path and one off them deciding to change their path in last second when I wanted to go next to them....rear wheel fell in small gutter/drain off and lost control for a second...chain fell off front sprockets.....

This morning few knob heads trying to race with me ....then being in their cars....some will do everything to overtake....

This morning few knob heads trying to race with me ....then being in their cars....some will do everything to overtake....

Isn't that the case most mornings.

When I was out on Wednesday past my first encounter was with two suited guys in a very wide BMW X5 who clearly don't understand the concept of cycle lanes when there is a bike present.
The second incident was a black Audi TT who again clearly doesn't realsie that all vehicles come with a left side mirror for a reason (you cannot undertake a car turning right when I am right next to you :bang:)

I have got a couple of bikes which haven't Ben used in a while but are going to get worn out over the summer. I have got a 2008 kona stinky which I used to ride pretty much every day... And I have got a very very old carbon racing bike... (Name escapes me) This thing is at least 15 years old...

Can't wait to finish university and get on the bikes again...

It's amazing what goes through your mind while out riding for 4-5 hours...

yesterdays internal monologue sort of went like this...

Is it ever not windy?
How this would be easier with an engine/motor?
How much would it cost to add a motor?
How much time could be saved with said motor?
Get out of the way!!! (local cyclothon 8 abreast riders)
Why cant it stop raining?
Is it ever not windy?
What's for Tea?
WTF!
Shut up legs.
Blimey he was close.
What's that Squeak ??
What's for Tea?
Why can't i live there? i'd be home by now!
What would i buy with a million pounds?
Am i happy, would i change anything?
Could i make it look like an accident!?
Where Would I Bury the Body?
What's for Tea?
How this would be easier with an engine/motor?
Blimey he was close.
Home at last - KITCHEN!!!

You forgot this one......

It's 3 miles over that hill OR 10 miles around that hill, which way should i go?

I have to admit that most of the ones you listed went through my mind on my weekend club run.

well One year ago i weighed in at 16 stone (105kg)...today 14.8 stone (94kg)... Best thing about it is I've enjoyed becoming a cyclist and loosing weight!!!...tips:

- stop eating bread
- join a cycling club

right......Time for a chocolate bar me thinks!!!!! :)

I was 16 Stones in February,now am 14.and still plan to loose one more stone:)

Back