Pedal Power Thread

well One year ago i weighed in at 16 stone (105kg)...today 14.8 stone (94kg)... Best thing about it is I've enjoyed becoming a cyclist and loosing weight!!!...tips:

- stop eating bread
- join a cycling club

right......Time for a chocolate bar me thinks!!!!! :)

Nice one! :clap: That's the proper way to lose weight - still enjoy chocolate but find a physical activity that you enjoy and get stuck in!

Do you mean vehicle excise duty?? No emissions = no tax, the government would have to change all sorts of legislation.

All cyclists should have to be insured at a minimum 3rd party cover. Wearing a helmet should also be law.

Going down the route of cyclists licenses could also work. Those with drivers license already qualified, but non driving cyclists should have to show they have a knowledge of Highway Code and hazard perception. This could also open the door for punitive measures against law breaking cyclists.

That's my 2p

That's a staggering amount of weight to lose in 3 months :eek:
How have you done that?!

no carbs- can eat some oat brans, fat and no sugar diet.
Called Dukan Diet.

Really boring and beginning can make you cry from how boring food is ...
gets bit better later and now am used to it.
am eating loads of meat now and fat free yogurths.

am rowing on thames, cycling and hitting gym at night ;) but nothing major, excercise mostly to be fit and not loose weight.

I've just bought the Missus and myself a couple of really cheap bikes for a bit of exercise, and mainly to keep up with our 7 year old who's off everywhere on hers!

I've just put them together... along with the cheesy soft nuts. We're going for an inaugural run later this evening... I'm just wondering how long they last (I'm betting not long) :D

I've just put them together... along with the cheesy soft nuts. We're going for an inaugural run later this evening... I'm just wondering how long they last (I'm betting not long) :D
You're obviously not feeling confident if you're already planning on ditching the bike and running ;) :LOL:

well One year ago i weighed in at 16 stone (105kg)...today 14.8 stone (94kg)... Best thing about it is I've enjoyed becoming a cyclist and loosing weight!!!...tips:

- stop eating bread
- join a cycling club

right......Time for a chocolate bar me thinks!!!!! :)

I'd definitely agree that cycling is a great way to lose a bit of weight...

If only I was capable of actually keeping up with the local bike club on their club runs i'd join in a heartbeat, but there's no way i could hack the pace... so, I'll stick to the solo stuff I guess for another year or so, maybe another 15kg improvement in the power/weight ratio might do the trick...

And as to giving up bread, forget it - I've already just about given up on cheese and alcohol, enough is enough...

Decided to take the plunge on a new carbon road bike. She's a beaut! (y)

Moda Stretto 2013.

ModaStretto2013.jpg

That's a sweet ride wippers !
Well 2nd day of commuting for me and managed to shave 2 mins off my time.
Rather chuffed I am. Already enjoying being back on the bike and looking for excuses to stay on :D

Cheers guys. One thing about the bike though, is the lack of colour. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can add a bit of colour here and there and more importantly what colour to add?
Bar tape/brake hoods/pedals/tyres??

Red rims with match saddle :D

Cheers guys. One thing about the bike though, is the lack of colour. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can add a bit of colour here and there and more importantly what colour to add?

SRAM RED. :LOL:

As you say, bar tape, hoods, pedals and tyres are all easily replaceable parts.

Stem and seat post are also options. As is replacing the screws that hold your two crank rings together, seat post clamp, inner tube dust caps, bottle cages and bottles. I'm sure there's other odd bits that are easy and cheap to swap out for some colour.

As you say, bar tape, hoods, pedals and tyres are all easily replaceable parts.

Stem and seat post are also options. As is replacing the screws that hold your two crank rings together, seat post clamp, inner tube dust caps, bottle cages and bottles. I'm sure there's other odd bits that are easy and cheap to swap out for some colour.

Some good ideas. Any suggestions on colours? Always wanted a bike in lime green and grey.

Unfortunately due to being unable to source tyres in the acid green colour, I may be going with the yellow as a backup plan.

Yellow is a nice contrast to the black. I do like the acid green though! :D

Unfortunately due to being unable to source tyres in the acid green colour, I may be going with the yellow as a backup plan.

Not sure how 'acid' you want that green but Vittoria Rubino Pro's come in a green close to that of the Cannondale Liquigas Pro Team.

There is also bar tape and a saddle available in those team colours.

Not sure how 'acid' you want that green but Vittoria Rubino Pro's come in a green close to that of the Cannondale Liquigas Pro Team.

There is also bar tape and a saddle available in those team colours.

Bummer. Couldn't find green anywhere. Just bought a yellow Fiztik saddle from Gumtree. :bonk::D
They do look the right colour too!

In which case you could try looking for parts in the colour scheme of Vini Fantini, an Italian cycling team. They have day glow yellow as their primary colour!

Thread lacks real cycling photos. ;)

This morning at the top of Snowdon.
8877577468_4239d7bd5d_z.jpg

Wet this morning!!

Where is our summer?!

I bought a load of wood yesterday from the local timber place. My original idea was to make raised beds for the garden.
I may however order a load more and start building an ark:crying:
This is the worst year I can remember:(

The top half is not a problem for me, it's from my waist down. Part of it will be fixed when I get mudguards for the bike. However my leg hairs hoover up all of the road muck and my overshoes still end up with me having wet feet. Still I quite like cycling in the wet!

wet feet are pretty much a given - short of a pair of speedplay wellies - I'm in the happy situation of riding for fun rather than for transport, so I just get showered, dry and changed at the end of the ride - I just concentrate on keeping my feet warm enough - which is where the merino socks and neoprene overshoes come in. As I say, those Nanoflex arm/knee warmers are excellent though - and the Gabba's been probably the best single item of cycling clothing i've ever spent my hard-earned on... (certainly the biggest improvement in cycling comfort i've experienced since lycra shorts replaced wool ones (i.e. WAAAYYYY BITD)) - only thing I'm worried about is if I lose much more weight, it'll not fit next winter and i'll have to buy the next size down :(

I can't see me losing too much more weight but if i do rapha do a downsize service I think so my touring shorts could be replaced. I am pretty much ok with the wet feet too, just jump in the shower after the commute home. I just hate all the grit my legs collect!

Back