Pedal Power Thread

Can't imagine how crap he must feel with not being able to carry on with his trials. He has a good positive attitude though and is pushing on.
although he seems very upbeat and treating it as a new challenge which is amazing. im not sure id be that strong mentally. but he still has some great support from his sponsers which is nice to see.

I have picked up a new bike, just a couple of hours ago.

My main bike is a specialized hardrock, nothing fancy at all but does the job getting me to the station in the morning.
A couple of weeks ago I got back tot he station after work and saw that someone had tried to chomp through my loch with a blunt pair of bolt cutters. I'm not going to wait for them to come back with a sharp pair, so today I picked up a folder to take with me on the train, and also cuts down my commute on the other side.

I picked up a Tern Link P9 from Evans (I couldn't justify dropping £1k+ on a Brompton), just my luck the moment I got out the store the heavens opened and I was being pelted with hail stones.

But even then, that ride back to the office was the most fun I have had on two wheels for a long time!

Out of interest how did that friendship come about - he's a bit of a legend!
Used to work with him in a bike shop in Aviemore and go out riding with him before he moved to Edinbourgh. This was before he even became famous and was only doing a few crappy home made youtube videos we all helped put together lol

Last edited:
although he seems very upbeat and treating it as a new challenge which is amazing. im not sure id be that strong mentally. but he still has some great support from his sponsers which is nice to see.
Indeed, no way would I be able to keep as strong as he is towards his injury.

Guys, I need a new helmet, but one that won't break my bank :) and one that lets a lot of air in as my current one boils my head....

Budget? Sky's the limit price wise.

Also what kind of style?
Not sure about style....
Can I get something decent for £50??
Am using old specialized one early the moment

New bike a coming for me this week (hopefully tomorrow if my letter of collection comes through). Decided to stick with Boardman so picked this years comp MTB

Boardman_650b_Comp_xl.jpg

did my first proper ride (well, 10m probably doesnt count as proper but its first ride of the year, yes i know..) with the garmin cadence sensor.

its actually quite interesting, i seem to like spinning at 70-75rpm bar a few spikes and drops. quite a useful tool.

annoyed that i forgot my HRM sensor.

Anyone on here uses Garmin devices ? Am thinking of getting edge 800 with sensors etc.
Small b'day present ;)

ive got an 800 with cadence and HRM, what do you want to know?
With it, I can ditch my small bike computer?
I will be able to load maps to it as I understand and plan routs indoors.
Is 810 much better?
Do you feel that you will need to change for a new model any time soon?
Does it come with holder for jade bars? As I've seen many to buy as an extra..
Not sure what else...

With it, I can ditch my small bike computer?
yes.
I will be able to load maps to it as I understand and plan routs indoors.
yes. i use google maps/earth and streetmap for routes and OS maps. make out a route and save it as GPX then use ridewithgps to convert gpx to tcx for routing on the garmin (free)
Is 810 much better?
i didnt think so, it pretty much just has bluetooth as far as i read.
Do you feel that you will need to change for a new model any time soon?
not really, does everything i'll want for ages.
Does it come with holder for jade bars? As I've seen many to buy as an extra..
jade bars? comes with a basic rubber band mount which is fairly universal. i went for a barfly mount to get it over the stem.
Not sure what else...
i love mine and all the stats from the sensors go into strava.

Last edited:
yes.

yes. i use google maps/earth and streetmap for routes and OS maps. make out a route and save it as GPX then use ridewithgps to convert gpx to tcx for routing on the garmin (free)

i didnt think so, it pretty much just has bluetooth as far as i read.

not really, does everything i'll want for ages.

jade bars? comes with a basic rubber band mount which is fairly universal. i went for a barfly mount to get it over the stem.

i love mine and all the stats from the sensors go into strava.
can you have a look on here : http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-edge-800-gps-performance-navigation-bundle/
comes with all sensors and navigation
just 800 is 40£ cheaper...

does it sound good ?

you'll need a base map yes, same way as your car sat nav will need a base map to know where to route you.

but that map is bundled into that Wiggle one so not costing you extra.
so I am sold ;)

I'm selling my old hybrid that is sat on balcony covered for almost a year now and that should cover most of the cost of Garmin :)

shame I wont be able to do it before the weekend...have planned 60km ride around London :)

need to think how much water I need or where I can stop to refill :)

coming back to GPS...
anyone uses or considered Mio Cyclo ?
http://road.cc/content/review/116620-mio-cyclo-505-hc-gps-computer

you can get it with maps and sensors for £250
review looks nice and they compared it to garmin 810

am tempted...

mostly because it is Magellan GPS -
it is called Magellan in Australia , which are amazing for hunters etc. great brand

me again....more questions...
Im on Im on 12-27 and 34/50 cassettes ... are those better for racing ? climbing ? or ?
am almost sure not climbing ;)

12-27 cassette and 34/50 front chainrings?

It's horses for courses, you can vary your ratios per task if you like or pick one setup that sits in the middle of everything you ride. That's quite a high gearing in my opinion but then I'm used to 11-34 so a little more range and 22/36 for a bit more climbing ability. It lacks a bit of top end (I.e you can't crank downhill) but I prefer to ride a few hills and you have to get up the buggers first :D

Last edited:
So mine is in between.
Plan for tomorrow is to wake up at 5.15am.
Eat some oat bran pancakes, drink small glass of whatever and go....
Have 2 bottles ready. Will take 2 gels just in case I get hungry.
Wish me luck :) 65km :)

My roadie is 12-25 and 34/50. There has only been one 30% hill that I run out of gears on and I'm far from a strong cyclist. Rear cassettes are really easy to change and fairly cheap so if you find you want something different it shouldn't cost much to achieve. Personal preference is to go far cassettes with as narrow gearing rage as you can get away with so you can always find the perfect gear in the range. Larger cassette ranges like 11-34 often have me wanting something between two of the gears because of the large jump between teeth.

I miss my Scott Ransom all mountain full sus bike. I'm looking into getting another full sus soon I reckon. It's alright having a hard tail and trials bike for messing about and showing off on the streets but I went out for a 20mile cycle the other day and it was a nightmare lol

I don't know what I'm looking to get. I always build my bikes from parts so I'm not looking to buy something off the shelf. I'm avoiding the Nukeproof Mega, too many people have them lol

Larger cassette ranges like 11-34 often have me wanting something between two of the gears because of the large jump between teeth.
like you say, its personal preference. I found recently that I can pretty much maintain a constant cadence RPM on that range :)

I miss my Scott Ransom all mountain full sus bike. I'm looking into getting another full sus soon I reckon. It's alright having a hard tail and trials bike for messing about and showing off on the streets but I went out for a 20mile cycle the other day and it was a nightmare lol
I don't know what I'm looking to get. I always build my bikes from parts so I'm not looking to buy something off the shelf. I'm avoiding the Nukeproof Mega, too many people have them lol

so you're looking for 130-150 on the back end? transition bandit or commencal meta range maybe? second hand orange 5 is within that same price bracket.

like you say, its personal preference. I found recently that I can pretty much maintain a constant cadence RPM on that range :)

so you're looking for 130-150 on the back end? transition bandit or commencal meta range maybe? second hand orange 5 is within that same price bracket.

Yeh exactly, 165mm at the rear max and something that can take long travel single crown forks. I'll have a look at them, have yet to look into it more anyway.

I'm avoiding the Nukeproof Mega, too many people have them lol

so no specialized, orange, trek, lapierre then lol

have a look at a rose granite chief, they have base set ups which you can change to what suits. also radon, canyon, and a few other direct sellers have great specs on the bikes for the money.

so no specialized, orange, trek, lapierre then lol

have a look at a rose granite chief, they have base set ups which you can change to what suits. also radon, canyon, and a few other direct sellers have great specs on the bikes for the money.
good point lol. I was having a look though Chainreaction just now and this took my attention. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/yeti-sb66-rc4-suspension-frame-2013/rp-prod119596

With only 152mm travel it's what I'm looking for and would probably work well with a nice set of Pikes. I would have kept my old Scott Ransom at 165mm travel, but with the shock being so unreliable it was costing me more than your average bike in the long run.

Last edited:
i use a barfly mount.

im sure most would be fine though, plastic brackets are much and much the same. although be wary of the ones with metal insert to hold the GPS, apparently they can cause wear to the plastic garmin.

i use a barfly mount.

im sure most would be fine though, plastic brackets are much and much the same. although be wary of the ones with metal insert to hold the GPS, apparently they can cause wear to the plastic garmin.
Barfly...off to Google :)

After much delay and faffing about I finally have my new bike. Happy to be back on the road again.
Looks better in the flesh than the stock image too

14088753117_f4620a433f_b.jpg

ok..Edge is here
am trying to work my war around garmin connect..
am trying to upload gpx file of route from Strava to connect but with no luck - managed to download it to the device with no problem
any ideas?
Thanks

Back