Pedal Power Thread

okay...so my first ride with Garmin is behind me..
need to fiddle with it more...
it was just changing screens - which is not bad, but it was not navigating me around....luckily for me I knew where I was going...

okay...so my first ride with Garmin is behind me..
need to fiddle with it more...
it was just changing screens - which is not bad, but it was not navigating me around....luckily for me I knew where I was going...
try this:

http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/foolproof-course-navigation-on-the-garmin-edge-800/

specifically "Load the Course list (Main Menu > Courses), choose your course to load it up, and hit the spanner icon.
Make sure Turn Guidance is ON.#You need to repeat this step, each time you load a new course, for the first time."

That's my Yeti SB66 and Fox 36 float 160mm forks ordered. Can't wait for them to come and make the shopping list for the rest of the bike:D

Last edited:
what tyres did you go for
Not sure yet. Not been on bikeradar to see my post, been having Internet trouble. Luckily I had some hubs laying around so it's saved me quite a bit on the wheels. Ill just get my mate to build them for me because im not too keen on lacing wheels lol

Cheers ill have a look in the morning. Having to use my phone and typing is hard at the best of times with my fat fingers lol. Ive blown most of my budget on just the frame and fork. Might have to wait till next payday to get it finished.

I have some High Rollers laying about I was going to shove on it for now to save some of my budget for other items. I'll be changing the high rollers at some point though because I'm not too keen on them. There's parts around me where you have to cycle on the road for some hidden trails and High rollers are a nightmare on the road. They sound like you're riding a tractor.

Cheers I didn't notice the English tab at the top, I was trying to translate it earlier.

I'll get a set of them ordered. I've just ordered a pair of Mavic EX721 rims and Sapim Race spokes and i'll get them built onto my Hope Pro Evo 2 hubs. As well as many other parts because I'm building this bike up from scratch, but at least then everything is exactly how I'd like it.

Last edited:
nice. sounds like it'll be a good spec :)

i need to convert my flows and HDs to boobtubeless before the weekend.

I've never looked into a tubeless system. Let me know how it goes(y) Are there any benefits with tubeless apart from weight?

I run mine tubeless but they are UST rims so pretty easy to set up. I did it for weight loss and puncture protection. I don't ride hard enough to burp tyres yet.

the puncture demo vid here also sold it to me - http://www.notubes.com/help/index.aspx

supposedly you can run much lower pressures too if youre into that kinda thing
Haha that's mental. Pretty good. I don't know if running tubless would be a good idea for my riding. I like to do a lot of street trails and I've recently messed up some old rims a bit because the front tyre came off the rim when I did a G turn. They are Schwable table tops I have on my street bike and had to pump them upto 55psi. They have quite thin sidewalls and cave in quite easy with lower pressures.

day out at glentress today - weather was glorious. trails under the canopy where still pretty moist after the rain we've had recently

p5pb11038275.jpg

ohhhh i do like the look of that bike lol

want a full supsension but finding it hard to get on my bike at the moment hoping to start to ride it again in morning before work so looking forward to riding again really started to enjoy it but starting at 6 am and riding there i find it hard to get up never mind been there on time lol

but going to give it a go again start to ride more

Working outside lol. Gamekeeping tomorrow then back to the weekly slog in the bodyshop.

guys....maybe silly question...
I went to buy inner tube and forgot to check what tube guy gave me...
he gave me 650c and I used to get 700c...
shall I still use it ? is it a big difference ?
Thanks

incidentally i did the tubeless conversion last weekend.

front wheel was a piece of pie. the rear was a bit of a faff as the tyre wouldnt seat enough to let me pump it up. got there in the end with a lot of sweating and swearing :D

didnt save much weight in the end (not that im overly worried), but happy ive ditched my patchwork tubes :D

incidentally i did the tubeless conversion last weekend.

front wheel was a piece of pie. the rear was a bit of a faff as the tyre wouldnt seat enough to let me pump it up. got there in the end with a lot of sweating and swearing :D

didnt save much weight in the end (not that im overly worried), but happy ive ditched my patchwork tubes :D

Lol my tubes look like a big hairy bikers jacket. Did you put that stuff in your tyres that was in the video?

what tyres and rims Neil?

I set my bro inlaws rims up tubeless with gorilla tape and it's worked a treat

Lol my tubes look like a big hairy bikers jacket. Did you put that stuff in your tyres that was in the video?

The stans fluid, yeah.

what tyres and rims Neil?

I set my bro inlaws rims up tubeless with gorilla tape and it's worked a treat
Flows and Hans Dampfs. Weird, it was the same front and back (not sure the trailstar and pace stars are that much different).

Just had to try and squash the tyre while pumping like a MF on the track pump..

I had the same issue with bro inlaws actually. front tyre went up fairly easy but rear just wouldn't seat with track pump. put a different tyre on and it went on as easy as front.

my rear MK black chillie was a pain because the protection sidewall was slightly bent with the packaging so wouldn't sit flush on rim

Anyone any experience of the Planet X Procarbon road bike? I've a chance one 2 yrs old but wondering if the ride would be very different from my Trek 1.2.
Thanks.

Anyone any experience of the Planet X Procarbon road bike? I've a chance one 2 yrs old but wondering if the ride would be very different from my Trek 1.2.
Thanks.

It's a pretty light frame, a bit flexible at the front end steering wise, so maybe not the best for throwing around in criteriums or sprints - but for a reasonably light rider - under 80kg it's more on the "compliant" rather than "hinged in the middle" side of things.

To be honest, it's a pretty generic open-mould £400 carbon frame - and Planet-X have moved on at least twice on their entry level frames since the SL-Pro (the RT57 and nor RT58) so it's a bit dated - think they launched them in 2009, so things have moved on quite a bit since then. Personally, unless I had a very good idea of how it'd been ridden, by who, and that it'd NEVER been dropped or knocked about, i'd walk away - but i'm 100+kg's and have a serious aversion to anything carbon-fibre and second hand.

there's a decent review here Obviously, just consider the frame/handling parts of the review - I'm doubting very much that it's going to be equipped with full Dura-Ace oily bits.

Reactions: PMN
Well - just to offset some of the offroad bike chatter, I may as well do a bit of a "ride report" of my trip up to the Dales last week to have a little look around one or two of the roads that they're using for the TdF in a couple of weeks.

Sometimes I forget how lucky I am to be only 90 minutes or so from the nicer bits of the yorkshire dales... Near enough to wake at a normal time, have breakfast, pack the bike in the back of the car along with my riding kit (remembering my Sidi's this time - wouldn't be the first time I'd got to the start of a ride, only to remember the cycling shoes were still at home!), a couple of bottles and an emergency flapjack, and still be able to park up and be ready to roll by 10:30.

I'd a vague idea of doing a loop from West Witton, down to Aysgarth, crossing the river at the falls then heading towards Hawes on the northerly side of the Ure through Askrigg and then up and over the "Côte de Buttertubs" :LOL: then down the vallet through Muker, Gunnerside and Reeth, before nipping back over the ridge at Grinton, taking in the "Côte de Griton Moor" :)lol: again - really does make me giggle seeing these names "en francaise")before hitting Leyburn and rolling back to West Witton and the car.

What I hadn't counted on was the number of roadworks still in progress, and the fact that there was a charity bike ride on that day. Fortunately, it appeared that the charity bike ride was taking in the route in the opposite direction, so I was spared the ignominy of being passed by a continuous stream of people on assorted ill-fitting and badly maintained Bike-Shaped-Objects. Unfortunately, the roadworks did cause a couple of diversions - forcing me back onto the A684 after Askrigg as the Long Shaw section was off-limits due to maintenance. I really hope that the tarmac isn't still "green" by the time they pass over on the 5th July.

Anyway, the diversion gave me another mile or so extra to warm up before what is basically the "main event" of the ride. Yep, Buttertubs. Not the toughest of hill-climbs in the country. Or even the County. Probably not even in that particular Dale. But, for a 50+ year old bloke that's the wrong side of 110kg's who's got a dodgy knee on the right side and a iffy hip on the left... it's quite bad enough thank you...

http://veloviewer.com/segments/5066439/athlete/165533

6km of sheer misery for me I'm afraid - 302m of ascent overall gives a 5% gradient - but that doesn't really tell the whole story... the 21.5% section just before the cattle grid did for me I'm afraid - weaving side to side, I was just about making it, then I pulled my cleat out of the pedal and that was it. Couldn't get started again, and had to walk maybe 20 yards until the gradient abated.

Of course, what goes up must go down, so at least the fact that gravity likes me had its compensations. If only the tool in the Mondeo who passed me on the crest of the descent hadn't then proceded to ride his brakes on the fast bit of the descent, it'd have been even better. Still - there WAS a section that was straight enough, and he'd finally realised that I was far faster than him on the twisty bits, so he let me through, and I could enjoy the rest of the descent. As to how much I enjoyed it... well, Strava said I enjoyed it at least 72.7kph, but the un-smoothed data in Training peaks seems to imply I enjoyed it at least 104.8kph.

Anyway - the rest of the run down Swaledale was wonderful - about a 15kph tailwind, sun was finally out again, and beautiful roads, decorated all over the place with a series of yellow painted bikes. It really does seem that the people up there are getting behind the whole thing.

One thing that's conspicuous by it's absence from this write up (especially on a photoforum) are pictures. I'd intended taking my new toy with me - a iON Adventurecamera - it's sort of a go-pro with inbuilt GPS tracking of the video. INTENDED... I'd charged it, taken out the memory card to clear the old files down and have a blank slate to record on. I'd mounted the handlebar attachment, and rigged a secondary mount on my helmet. What I hadn't done is taken the memory-card out of the reader after clearing the files and re-fitted it to the iON :oops: :$

Anyhow, once again the roadmending caused an amendment to my prospective route, and I sadly had to knock the Grinton Moor climb on the head, instead riding a little further around the end of the valley and back into Leyburn before returning to my car, packing up and collapsing in a fat sweaty heap for half a hour's nap before even thinking of driving home.

if anyone wants to chart my suffering - have a look here - http://app.strava.com/activities/152251673

So - what did I learn from this...

1) I may have lost over 65kg, but if I'm going to climb 20%+ hills, it's not enough - that last 20-25kg need to be addressed
2) Check your cleats before going on a ride like this, and maybe ratchet up the tension on the pedals a notch or two as well
3) Take proper food to eat after your ride, to save having to drive into the nearest village and raid the sandwich shop
4) PUT THE DAMNED CARD BACK IN THE CAMERA
5) The Yorkshire Dales are beautiful, and I NEED to get out there more often - even if they are a bit hilly in places.

Last edited:
I got laughed at by my mates when I turned up at my local trails with shin and knee pads on. It was me who was laughing when they had a pile up and one of them needed stitches on their leg :D I'm a cruel person lol

I don't see the issue with protection - I'd rather be laughed at than have to go to hospital. although I do find fat blokes on orange 5's covered in armour to be slightly amusing for some reason

Hi all,

after a decade of commuting / working away from home, i've got a perm job 3 miles from home! Added bonus that the employer runs a cycle to work scheme.

Undecided on the type of bike to go for. Quite like the look of the Whyte Sussex and Dorset - anybody have any experience of these. Another shop has the KTM Life Style which is a flat bar, but also looks like a good bike for a commute. But a lot heavier and sturdier than the Whyte.

The commute will be 4 mile each way along the taff trail, which i believe is all tarmac on the sections i will be using (north from the civic centre to whitchurch), but im going for a walk there next week to check.

Back