Pedal Power Thread

Sounds like an almost perfect maiden voyage (y)

It was a lovely evening for it Stuart although the headwind was quite strong at times. As you say, a great maiden voyage :)

I was pleasantly surprised as I really wasn't sure how I'd feel on the bike in terms of set up. I did find I was on the drops quite a bit which surprised me and I think I just need to get used to the position compared to the very upright and wide MTB position.

I need to take a look at my gears and fine tune them as they seemed to be catching ever so slightly on the front derailleur when I was in the top gears trying to get a bit of pace on.

I think my next challenge will be to look at increasing my distance slightly and seeing how my endurance is with more time in the saddle but I don't want to do too much too soon.

You will pick up pace very quickly. I am already averaging 16-17mph which is up from a measly 14mph

These bad boys turned up in the post today [emoji3]

View attachment 41442

Wish me luck for my first try out clipped in stylee.

Feeling nervous [emoji15]

You'll be fine but you have to expect at least one comedy fall. I had one yesterday after having to brake quickly for a police car and slowly going over much to the amusement I'm sure of the motorists stuck in traffic (tube strike chaos).

Personally I only unclip on the left side etc coming up to lights and do periodically if a car is a bit erratic in case I need to brake sharply or stop. It becomes second nature though.

Good luck, I really found a difference with them.

Just run the red lights :LOL:

I know you are joking but I honestly could not believe how many people were doing it today in London, looking forward to the tubes running again tomorrow so cycling can get a bit more normal (as normal as commuting in London gets).

you also loose it too if you stop ha ha ha ha ha

I did have one stop when I went over something in the road and was immediately convinced I had a puncture!! I was impressed how quickly I unclipped without a comedy moment, checked the tyre and all was OK so hopped back on and away!

I know you are joking but I honestly could not believe how many people were doing it today in London, looking forward to the tubes running again tomorrow so cycling can get a bit more normal (as normal as commuting in London gets).

Used to be like that a lot when I worked in London. As a pedestrian it was a duel of death sometimes crossing the road even when the lights were at red - some just don't consider that the red light applies to them as well!

Used to be like that a lot when I worked in London. As a pedestrian it was a duel of death sometimes crossing the road even when the lights were at red - some just don't consider that the red light applies to them as well!

Cyclists were really bad today - but then again some pretty bad driving from all modes of transport as normal. My cylce down Peckam High Street I really should video some time, you are guaranteed to see someone doing something stupid every day - recent one car slowed down to 5mph for no apparent reason (I assumed they were lost) 2 cyclists stayed right with him then both decided to overtake on the outside just as he decided the road he wanted to turn down was on the right, he turned, no indicating, no looking, hit one but thankfully just gently everyone was going slowly so no real harm done to anyone or anything. Completely the drivers fault, but I would not have been cycling anywhere near him.

I've had a good all round week of nutcases on the road this week. Taxi started doing a u-turn in front of me Tuesday from a parked position as I was doing around 20mph, police car yesterday, pedestrian walked straight out into the road today not a glance towards the traffic, motorbike just missed a car in front of me by 1mm as he started moving and changing lanes without looking - that guy was not used to riding his bike, I almost wanted to pull him aside and give him a quick tutorial. Best one was yesterday not really affecting me, but in a long line of traffic some guy leaving out of his van shout 'get out of the effing way' to the 200 or so vehicles ahead of him :confused:o_O

The thing that annoys me with half the cyclists that do this at the lights is that either they go through or they move past you to get ahead of you and then set off at one mile an hour and you can't pass them for a bit arghhhh I'm not the fastest and I don't mind fast people doing it but some people literally try and do it at every set of lights they can and slow everyone down. :banghead:

I did have one stop when I went over something in the road and was immediately convinced I had a puncture!! I was impressed how quickly I unclipped without a comedy moment, checked the tyre and all was OK so hopped back on and away!

I often think I have a puncture and then realise it's jut my legs that are tired!

All these road cycling photographers around here !!!! We'll be able to organise a TP tour of Britain soon :D

Cyclists were really bad today - but then again some pretty bad driving from all modes of transport as normal. My cylce down Peckam High Street I really should video some time, you are guaranteed to see someone doing something stupid every day - recent one car slowed down to 5mph for no apparent reason (I assumed they were lost) 2 cyclists stayed right with him then both decided to overtake on the outside just as he decided the road he wanted to turn down was on the right, he turned, no indicating, no looking, hit one but thankfully just gently everyone was going slowly so no real harm done to anyone or anything. Completely the drivers fault, but I would not have been cycling anywhere near him.

I've had a good all round week of nutcases on the road this week. Taxi started doing a u-turn in front of me Tuesday from a parked position as I was doing around 20mph, police car yesterday, pedestrian walked straight out into the road today not a glance towards the traffic, motorbike just missed a car in front of me by 1mm as he started moving and changing lanes without looking - that guy was not used to riding his bike, I almost wanted to pull him aside and give him a quick tutorial. Best one was yesterday not really affecting me, but in a long line of traffic some guy leaving out of his van shout 'get out of the effing way' to the 200 or so vehicles ahead of him :confused:o_O

The thing that annoys me with half the cyclists that do this at the lights is that either they go through or they move past you to get ahead of you and then set off at one mile an hour and you can't pass them for a bit arghhhh I'm not the fastest and I don't mind fast people doing it but some people literally try and do it at every set of lights they can and slow everyone down. :banghead:

You're a braver man than me cycling in central London - you've really got to have your whits about you (y)

You're a braver man than me cycling in central London - you've really got to have your whits about you (y)
I've lived here all my life so am a bit used to it and doing my motorbike license 25!! years ago now also helped a lot in terms of preparing for the 'unexpected'. That said many years ago I would cycle from Shepherds Bush to Liv Street and go down Oxford Street, a road with lemmings for pedestrians! SE London to Liv Street is much more relaxed though Tower Bridge gets quite cosy.

No, the traffic travels a lot slower in central London.

You need your wits about you wherever you cycle.

Hmm - need to look at my gears -they're not set up right - they're not running smooth/catching too much and I had the chain come off three times on today's ride as I was moving to the large front cog, the front derailleur pushed it too far and over it went :(

Last time it happened no the ride as I was pulling into my drive - "5h1t my chains off again - oh I've come to a stop and not unclipped" First fall in clips - no injuries and luckily I don't think anyone saw my comedy moment :D

Last edited:
grab the shimano setup guide and work from there Adrian... we're taking about 10 speed 105 on you're roadbike aren't we...

Front Mech - si.shimano.com/php/download.php?file=pdf/um/SI-5LW0B-001-ENG.PDF

Rear Mech - si.shimano.com/php/download.php?file=pdf/um/SI-5X90B-003-ENG.pdf

it's really quite simple, pretty much all down to getting the front mech the right distance above the chainset teeth, properly parallel to it, and the upper and lower "stops" set properly - after that, it's just down to the correct cable tension. If he's swapped the parts, there's a fair chance that he put new cables on as well, and they "stretch in" over the first couple of rides as well...

if you didn't get the "sheaf" of technical documents etc with the bike, here's a link to shimanos pretty damned brilliant tech-documents library (it's pre-set on 10 speed 105, or in Shimano speak, Series 5700)

Last edited:
grab the shimano setup guide and work from there Adrian... we're taking about 10 speed 105 on you're roadbike aren't we...

it's really quite simple, pretty much all down to getting the front mech the right distance above the chainset teeth, properly parallel to it, and the upper and lower "stops" set properly - after that, it's just down to the correct cable tension. If he's swapped the parts, there's a fair chance that he put new cables on as well, and they "stretch in" over the first couple of rides as well...

if you didn't get the "sheaf" of technical documents etc with the bike, here's a link to shimanos pretty damned brilliant tech-documents library (it's pre-set on 10 speed 105, or in Shimano speak, Series 5700)

Thanks Mark.

Yes, it's 10 speed 105.
He did put new cables on so I'm guessing it's still settling in and cables stretching as you say.

Thanks for the links - I didn't get all of these so they'll be a big help (y)

View attachment 41535

First ride out with clips. Didn't fall over [emoji1]

And 28 PR's!! [emoji468][emoji123]

Great stuff :clap:

Hmm - need to look at my gears -they're not set up right - they're not running smooth/catching too much and I had the chain come off three times on today's ride as I was moving to the large front cog, the front derailleur pushed it too far and over it went :(

Last time it happened no the ride as I was pulling into my drive - "5h1t my chains off again - oh I've come to a stop and not unclipped" First fall in clips - no injuries and luckily I don't think anyone saw my comedy moment :D

It doesn't count if no-one saw it! ;)

I have the same thing I think so thanks for the link will also have a look at the weekend. (y)

It doesn't count if no-one saw it! ;)

Agreed no-one seeing it is the most important bit

I'm gradually getting kitted out for my road biking :)

One thing I haven't got right yet is the socks. I have previously used some of my sports socks but find these almost too thin with the Shimano shoes I have so am on the look out for some more (I might get some Hilly brand ones - excellent for running so should be good for the bike?) Any suggestions from anyone?

For summer cycling I wear cheap (£5 for 5 pairs or something like that) Sports Direct heel socks. I ride around 300 miles per week and they are perfect for the task.

@Buck
Lidl are doing their bike event starting this Monday (20th) hey have socks for £1.49 that may be worth a punt

I tend to wear either Shimano or Castelli on the road bike, and both are thin, light and breathable. Very comfortable on my rides which tend to go up-to about 75 miles at a time.

I personally wouldn't be looking at thick socks, you don't want any movement or rubbing in the shoe which you tend to get with thicker socks. Lidl's cycling gear is quite highly rated, and very well priced.

Just ordered the replacement for my written off Condor Italia. A Condor Fratello Disc! It is truly a bike of purple steel loveliness!

show_image_in_imgtag.php

Just ordered the replacement for my written off Condor Italia. A Condor Fratello Disc! It is truly a bike of purple steel loveliness!

show_image_in_imgtag.php

Looks very nice there Jim. Hopefully the insurance is covering it?
How's the recovery going? Danielle was updating me last week

Last edited:
I'm hoping to go on a longer (for me) bike ride on Saturday with a friend. As i'm hoping it'll be 30+ mile do I need to think about a snack/energy drink on the way?
Currently I just pop some cordial in my drinks bottle and haven't bothered with any "energy" bars/drinks supplements.

Any advice?

In my opinion, unless you're pushing the pace hard, you shouldn't need to take calories on board during 30 mile ride as you should be able to fuel from fat reserves without exhausting your glycogen stores. More important would be good hydration before and during the ride. Nothing fancy, plain water, or cordial if you like. Just make sure you eat properly before you set off. If in doubt, jelly babies or wine gums make for great emergency rations without breaking the bank. I buy mine from Aldi and get about 750 calories of carbs for 59p.

If you're competing or pushing hard then you should think about eating during the ride as you'll be burning through your glycogen reserves as well as fat. Start within the first hour and then eat a little every 15-20 minutes or so. Again, jelly babies make it easy to drip feed calories into your system. Don't wait till you feel hungry as by then it will be to late.

Fast or slow, hydration is important and if you'll be sweating then consider an electrolyte supplement in your drink.

Last edited:
Looks very nice there Jim. Hopefully the insurance is covering it?
How's the recovery going? Danielle was updating me last week
It will do but I need the bike anyway! Slow progress but came out of the collar yesterday after 8 weeks living in it!

In my opinion, unless you're pushing the pace hard, you shouldn't need to take calories on board during 30 mile ride as you should be able to fuel from fat reserves without exhausting your glycogen stores. More important would be good hydration before and during the ride. Nothing fancy, plain water, or cordial if you like. Just make sure you eat properly before you set off. If in doubt, jelly babies or wine gums make for great emergency rations without breaking the bank. I buy mine from Aldi and get about 750 calories of carbs for 59p.

If you're competing or pushing hard then you should think about eating during the ride as you'll be burning through your glycogen reserves as well as fat. Start within the first hour and then eat a little every 15-20 minutes or so. Again, jelly babies make it easy to drip feed calories into your system. Don't wait till you feel hungry as by then it will be to late.

Fast or slow, hydration is important and if you'll be sweating then consider an electrolyte supplement in your drink.

Thanks Tim - really helpful.

I plan on taking it steady and will look for some 'emergency rations' to have with me.

It will do but I need the bike anyway! Slow progress but came out of the collar yesterday after 8 weeks living in it!

I went off the thread when I stopped cycling, but just went back through it to see what happened - glad to hear you are on the road to recovery Jim that looked nasty - hope you are out on the new machine soon :)

I went off the thread when I stopped cycling, but just went back through it to see what happened - glad to hear you are on the road to recovery Jim that looked nasty - hope you are out on the new machine soon :)

Slowly but surely! I have 5 weeks or so to wait but still have my fancy carbon jobbie once I feel up to it...

Back