Pedal Power Thread

Can thank my 4 year old who has just learned to ride and insisted I take my bike out with him on Saturday now he is all good without his stabilizers - now that was the most satisfying bike ride of my life :). He does unfortunately have no fear of anything and his downhill speed needs to be reigned in!

On the back of that decided to start my commute to work again - only 6 miles each way but felt good to be out there on the bike again. Hopefully my knees will hold up!

^ that's the link.

No initiation that I've been notified of as yet :D

Well the colour matching has begun. Yes it may only be a pair of Elite Corsa water bottles but they had to match the bikes colour scheme :whistle:
View attachment 40600

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the colour matching has begun. Yes it may only be a pair of Elite Corsa water bottles but they had to match the bikesView attachment 40600 colour scheme :whistle:

And why not (y)

How are you liking the bike? I was have a look around a couple of websites looking at road bikes and apart from the prices everything else was a different language :)

And why not (y)

How are you liking the bike? I was have a look around a couple of websites looking at road bikes and apart from the prices everything else was a different language :)

The bike is amazing Adrian!
For my entire life all I have ever ridden is mountain bikes so this is a different ball game but already its a breath of fresh air.
loving the speed, how it looks, how light it is and even how good the Shimano Claris group set is.

On my commutes to work my times on the MTB used to be in the 18-19 min range. On this bike I have broken the 15 minute barrier.

I'm also a convert to SPD's for more efficient pedalling, so all in all very good so far

It certainly looks the part and from my quick google, the spec/value looks great.

Out of interest which pedals did you go for?
I was wondering about getting some for my MTB but still in research phase!

I might pop down to my local bike shop at the weekend for a look around. Tempting fate then aren't I?

It certainly looks the part and from my quick google, the spec/value looks great.

Out of interest which pedals did you go for?
I was wondering about getting some for my MTB but still in research phase!

I might pop down to my local bike shop at the weekend for a look around. Tempting fate then aren't I?

I opted for a set of shimano A530's so that I could practice with the SPDs but also use the flat side if I wanted to just wear a pair of trainers for short journeys to the shops etc

the puncture demo vid here also sold it to me - http://www.notubes.com/help/index.aspx

supposedly you can run much lower pressures too if youre into that kinda thing

I'm digging up this old post. Do you think this would work on car tyres that could last a fair few miles? I've yet to find stuff like this for cars that is as good. I have a BMW and they are t***s, they don't give you a spare wheel, instead they supply runflat tyres from the factory so a tin of sealant is always handy. I just don;t know how long this stans stuff would last.

I'm digging up this old post. Do you think this would work on car tyres that could last a fair few miles? I've yet to find stuff like this for cars that is as good. I have a BMW and they are t***s, they don't give you a spare wheel, instead they supply runflat tyres from the factory so a tin of sealant is always handy. I just don;t know how long this stans stuff would last.

Paul - I think that if it was good for cars they'd be marketing it that way too. As it is such a big safety issues, I would contact the company direct to see what they say/recommend.

Just seen this on another forum - made me wince a little!

The laid back response from the stewards and the crowd was :rolleyes:

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

I'm guessing it's Remco Grasman’s short lived bid to win the Dutch National Time Trial you're on about Adrian. Nasty, very nasty.

(I've linked it rather than adding the youtube direct viewer, as it's REALLY not for the squeamish!)

Last edited:
Paul - I think that if it was good for cars they'd be marketing it that way too. As it is such a big safety issues, I would contact the company direct to see what they say/recommend.
Good point. I'll ask them directly, if to no success I'll try again to find an automotive one that comes up to par with the Stan's stuff. Which will be hard, looks amazing stuff.

I'm guessing it's Remco Grasman’s short lived bid to win the Dutch National Time Trial you're on about Adrian. Nasty, very nasty.

(I've linked it rather than adding the youtube direct viewer, as it's REALLY not for the squeamish!)
Thanks Mark (should have linked it myself)

It all seemed a bit surreal watching it and I'm guessing it was a very serious injury too - not your usual fracture

Have joined TP club on strava :)
I can see that there is one more Londoner to me and Jim.
Who's Alastair ? :)

Couple of questions for the cycling peeps

A. What are the benefits of Premium on strava, i do ride with a heart monitor connected to my garmin, but i'm staying away from power meters until I win the lotto

B. My 3mth old Bontrager / trek duo trap cadence sensor's magnet decided it didn't want to be with me anymore during a stiff climb and hid somewhere in the undergrowth. Has anyone had success gluing one of the cheap rare earth magnets off amazon onto a crank arm?
Due to the positioning of the sensor in the chain stay you can't just attach it to the pedal axle.....plus the axles on my old ritchey spd pedals are Ti so it won't stick there anyway :D

a) not a lot really if you don't have power meter, slightly better analysis, goal setting (say "i want to hit 1:30 on so and so segment before the end of july"), heatmaps (which I can't honestly say i've looked at more than three times since going "premium"), a few "training plans" which just seem to really be targetted on improving power over a time duration, and Training Videos - which, if you DO use the bike on an indoor trainer, are quite good - there's three of the "sufferfest" indoor trainer videos that are pretty "motivating" and can be a great way to get a tough 1 hour session on the turbo trainer in the depths of winter, without going insane just looking at the back of the garage door.

b) one of those little neodymium disc magnets and a blob of epoxy glue will work fine on the back of (what is it you have... Ultegtra 6800?) cranks... maybe just "roughen up" the anodising in the correct spot if the first attempt falls off...

I'll hold off the strava upgrade then, i can see the heart zones through garmin connect.

Yeah 6800 cranks, bit peeved off that the trek banded magnet has snapped and fallen off after such a small time. I wrote to trek but still waiting to hear back, not holding much hope of a warranty claim as theres nothing to send back.

just looked on Strava at your last ride, it fell off on the B5102 just before the glascoed road (round about brymbo pool)... :LOL:

How far is the back of the crank to the chainstay Brian... I've found that the 1mm thick neodymiums need to be within 5mm of the sensor (ok it's a garmin GSC10, not a bontrager but they're all the same technology - a bloody reed-switch) to trigger a "event" as they pass... Perhaps get one of the 25mmx10mm bar shaped ones from fleabay in either 2-3mm thickness...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-10-15x-...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item43d4fa21ec

Last edited:
I knew it was on a climb :D I tend to keep an eye on the cadence reading while climbing that way I can't see the incline :runaway:

I'll have to measure the gap, it was always a bit picky on placement

Just found this thread and joined the TP Strava club. Not too many members there. Here's hoping for more to join.

Super chuffed today getting 3rd overall on a popular segment within Edinburgh.
Also achieved a KOM but not making a song and dance about it as the segment I achieved it on is HeeHaw in cycling terms

Yesterday, a ride that started out as an early morning trundle around cheshire countryside with a couple of friends turned into a solo century in the welsh hills for me.

I think I picked the hottest and certainly muggiest day of the year to climb the horseshoe pass for a butty at the cafe :D

Ticked off Strava's gran fondo challenge for this month in the process so all good.

Yesterday, a ride that started out as an early morning trundle around cheshire countryside with a couple of friends turned into a solo century in the welsh hills for me.

I think I picked the hottest and certainly muggiest day of the year to climb the horseshoe pass for a butty at the cafe :D

Ticked off Strava's gran fondo challenge for this month in the process so all good.

You're just showing off now :)

I managed a quick (well TBH not so quick) 10 miler on Tuesday night but is was very warm. Might try and get out tonight on the barge and see if it's a bit cooler into the bargain (y)

It's certainly much cooler here today since the rain during the night...... kind of missing the heat tbh :(

Has been a cracking few days - hope you lathered the sun cream on - don't want you being as red as your avatar!!!

yesterday was fierce out there - garmin registered 35.9°c at one point in the ride - on the MTB so precious little breeze from riding along either, as I was going so slow... a couple of hours of it was enough to be honest, but it was good. Today, it was "only" 28.0°c but the humidity at the moment is stifling, felt like the air was so thick you had to chew it before inhaling... Still got a hour or so in, purely on the basis that it was cooler and less humid outdoors than it was in my office...

Guys

Thinking of selling my MTB and going for a Cyclo-cross bike (means i can still do the trails and gravel rides with the boys) but then I have seen this bike for sale.

Cube Peleton Pro 2014 model - it's a 56cm so need to check if it'll fit me but apparantly done less than 200 miles - he's asking £400. It's also been upgraded so the groupset is now all Shimano 105.

I know @stupar really likes his Cube and the spec here seems good and I don't dislike the colour scheme either :) - Would value your thoughts. (going to see if I can visit a bike shop at the weekend for sizing etc.)

Cube Peleton Pro 2014 model
Frameset:

• Frame:Aluminium Superlite, AMF, Double Butted, RFR-Geometry, Inner Cable Routing
  • Forks: CUBE CSL Race Carbon, Tapered

Groupset:

• Chainset: Shimano FC-R562, Hollowtech II, 50x34T,
  • Brake/Shift Levers:Shimano Tiagra ST-4602
  • Front Derailleur:Shimano 105 FD-5702BLL, Clamp 34.9mm
  • Rear Derailleur:Shimano 105 RD-5701GS, 2x10 speed

Wheelset:

• Wheelset:Fulcrum Racing 77
  • Tyres: Schwalbe Lugano, 25x622

Components:

• Front Brake: Shimano BR-R561
  • Rear Brake:Shimano BR-R561
  • Handlebars:CUBE Wing Race Bar, Compact
  • Handlebar Tape: CUBE Grip Control
  • Headset: CUBE Orbit Z-t, top zero-stack 1 1/8", bottom 1 1/2" integrated
  • Stem: CUBE Performance Pro, 31.8mm
  • Saddle:Selle Italia X1 Road
  • Seatpost:CUBE Performance Post, 31.6mm
  • Seatclamp: 34.9mm RFR Close
Weight:9 kg

View attachment 40987

Last edited:
Has been a cracking few days - hope you lathered the sun cream on - don't want you being as red as your avatar!!!

I do indeed, although yesterday I found that greenfly loved it, had about 200 of the little sods stuck to my arms when I got home.

Still got tan lines to keep the Velominati happy though.

I would say the smile on his face during that ride pretty much sums it up, he was at home and in his element!
Cracking stuff

PM s should be working mate. Give me 2 mins and I will check though

Back