Pedal Power Thread

Police are seeking the driver of a white Mitsubishi L200 pick-up truck, which did not stop at the scene

Yup

Lots of variations of the report - a little unclear to say the least.

The Telegraph and Guardian even changed Chris Boardman's quote as well, changing collision to accident.

I'm sure he chose the former very carefully and I note the Guardian has edited it's article to correctly reflect CB's words.

Sadly this was all too close to me, Met Carol and Chris a few times over the years at the Eureka Cafe. The scene of the crime isn't that far from me either :(

Sadly this was all too close to me, Met Carol and Chris a few times over the years at the Eureka Cafe. The scene of the crime isn't that far from me either :(

Makes it all too real doesn't it Brian.

Sad, sad news when someone dies - bad enough when it is health related but things like this are not accidents and shouldn't be described as such IMO. :(

Just read a review on the Privee and the test bike used almost the same components as a write up on the Vendetta. I know the Kingdom ti bike cost considerably more but having ridden a ti bike a few weeks ago i throughly enjoyed it.

Just popped out for a quick 20 miler - Titanium bikes were melting in the heat;)

Good Job I didn't go out on the old Raleigh Dynatech then - they had terrible issues with the glue that held them together :LOL:

(The glue was actually fine, up to just below the temperature needed for "powder coating"... sadly, quite a few people found this out the hard way...)

Anybody have any experience of Kingdom bikes? Quite fancied a vendetta 2, 27.5.

boutique bike - not going to offer you anything over something a 1/3 of the price. unless you think there is somthing magical about titanium, a bird Zero AM would be my choice for a hard tail

Nice bike (y)

I'm not far away from pushing the button on a new bike myself.......sadly I can't see it ever being helped by a sale though :(

Which bike you looking at Bri? What spec etc?

Keep on tempting myself with a new bike (Trek or Cannondale on the short list) but keep on finding other priorities for the hard earned!! :D

I got my latest bike after hitting 10,000miles on the last one, think I might repeat that again and I'm already on 2,079miles since February :D

I got my latest bike after hitting 10,000miles on the last one, think I might repeat that again and I'm already on 2,079miles since February :D

oh dear, by that standard I'm 13,000 overdue for a refresh on the Dolan, and nearly due another 'Crosser...

For the moment, I think the best upgrade I can do, is get the next 40kg of fat shifted (already done 55, but there's a way to go yet), never mind buying new bikes...

True, but spending a bit of time at work looking at websites full of shiney bikes is more fun (and causes less odd looks from colleagues) than looking at pictures of thinner men! :D

I find that organising cycling challenges on a popular weight and fitness website is a good way to combine the cycling knowledge and keep me motivated to drop a few kg's...

I've just realised actually, it's 5 years to the day since I signed up to that website... lost 60kg in the first 3 years, then had a few illness related problems, and as a combination of not being able to ride the bike enough and side effects of the med's I'm now on, i've drifted up by about 5kg...

Think it's time to re-dedicate myself to the purpose and get on with losing the rest of the weight. Sadly, it'll have to be via restricting intake - there's no way to out-exercise a bad fuelling regime :(

progress by The Big Yin, on Flickr

lets see what I can get a third picture in the sequence to look like in another 2-3 years time...

That's great work Mark, well done. Can you share a link to the fitness forum? I could do with a bit of inspiration and help too!

For the moment, I think the best upgrade I can do, is get the next 40kg of fat shifted (already done 55, but there's a way to go yet), never mind buying new bikes...

As a mate of mine found out! He spent a small fortune some years back on drilled Ti bolts only to be told by another mate (who was a top level motorcycle engineer with one of the race teams) that his lot had abandoned them due to the extra turbulence the holes introduced (unlikely to be a problem at pushbike speeds!) and that in the clag, the crud that filled the holes was heavier than the removed Ti! IIRC the weight saving was a couple of ounces over solid Ti so I suggested some extra fibre in his diet to "speed up transit" and keep things moving!

I find that organising cycling challenges on a popular weight and fitness website is a good way to combine the cycling knowledge and keep me motivated to drop a few kg's...

I've just realised actually, it's 5 years to the day since I signed up to that website... lost 60kg in the first 3 years, then had a few illness related problems, and as a combination of not being able to ride the bike enough and side effects of the med's I'm now on, i've drifted up by about 5kg...

Think it's time to re-dedicate myself to the purpose and get on with losing the rest of the weight. Sadly, it'll have to be via restricting intake - there's no way to out-exercise a bad fuelling regime :(

progress by The Big Yin, on Flickr

lets see what I can get a third picture in the sequence to look like in another 2-3 years time...

Not so much Chewie as Davros or The Master these days! Weighed myself for the first time in a couple of months and have lost 1/2 a stone despite a holiday. Still just the wrong side of 18 stone but I've always been built for comfort more than speed.

Only the Terence Stamp version!

Which bike you looking at Bri? What spec etc?

Keep on tempting myself with a new bike (Trek or Cannondale on the short list) but keep on finding other priorities for the hard earned!! :D

It'll be another Trek, but colours and spec are still secret (aka un finalised yet) :D

let me guess...

Madone Project One 9.2, Ultegra 6870 Di2, Aura 5's and another 4iiii powermeter to go with it.

If I was changing my road bike then I would 99% be going for disc brakes. (The 1% is just in case there would be an absolute steal on a rim brake bike of comparable spec in other areas :D)

as I'm fat, and unfit, and slow, and sick of getting passed by skinny racing snakes who look at me on a posh "string and glue" bike and I can tell they're thinking "what a waste" - or - "ATG-NI" i'm actually tempted to put the money into a Ti Disc Touring bike - something slow, comfortable, unbreakable, and won't look a little silly when I'm only going at 20kph average...

Fit a cheaty bu99er 'lekky assistance kit (well hidden!) and go past them on the uphills... ;)

removed for now

Last edited:
If I was changing my road bike then I would 99% be going for disc brakes. (The 1% is just in case there would be an absolute steal on a rim brake bike of comparable spec in other areas :D)

I have 2 bikes, 1 with disc brakes 1 without. Disc brakes are heavier and limit your choice if you wish to upgrade your wheels (disc wheels are also heavier) Brake 'squeal' is a constant recurring problem. If bike weight is a factor I would only choose disc brakes if I did a lot of wet weather cycling, which I don't.

let me guess...

Madone Project One 9.2, Ultegra 6870 Di2, Aura 5's and another 4iiii powermeter to go with it.

Nearly, the Aura's aren't on the list :D

Can't have discs on a Madone, which for me is probably a good thing as i'd probably rely on them too much and hit the corners too hard before hitting the floor harder :D

I have 2 bikes, 1 with disc brakes 1 without. Disc brakes are heavier and limit your choice if you wish to upgrade your wheels (disc wheels are also heavier) Brake 'squeal' is a constant recurring problem. If bike weight is a factor I would only choose disc brakes if I did a lot of wet weather cycling, which I don't.

Shouldn't get brake squeal unless you haven't bedded the pads in correctly. If that's the case then give the discs a good sand and re do the bed in procedure.

Don't know if anyone else has seen the Royal Navy advert where the narrator says "so you fix a board, you can fix a bike". Check the pedals on the bike at 0.05.
View: https://youtu.be/DSegIu9IgB0

I got a Kingdom Vendetta frame I was after. Phoned a dealer and he said they had a used frame with stealth dropper, headset and syntace bolt for a little over half the price of a new frame. The used frame is spotless and blemish free. all I need now are the rest of the components.

Back