Pedal Power Thread

How's this for pedal power...

Yesterday I had a shoot with a friend of mine. He and his friend is cycling from London to Poland in 3.5 days.

That's 1000 miles cycling 300 miles per day - they plan to get 20hrs on the bike per day.

Jeeez.

How's this for pedal power...

Yesterday I had a shoot with a friend of mine. He and his friend is cycling from London to Poland in 3.5 days.

That's 1000 miles cycling 300 miles per day - they plan to get 20hrs on the bike per day.

Jeeez.

Sounds insane - hope they are not planning on sitting down once they get there!

A 36 mile off road ride the other day could only end one way. In fact this wasn't even the end, it was the half way point! Or should that be pint? :LOL:

hc9j3Sk.jpg

Just got back from a very hard 7.5 miles.

Pah, I hear you say is that all... It's a bit hilly even to the south of the South Downs. Also I'm still ridiculously unfit, the 3-4% climb for the first 2 miles wasn't very nice :D

http://app.strava.com/activities/63763233

Going back to what we were saying earlier about GPS accuracy on mobiles, I think the 4S had a little wobble at 0.5m. According to it's Strava data I detour into a field briefly. I'm not too sure I hit 39mph either, I know I was bombing it (I could smell my brake pads after stopping) but I don't think it was that fast.

I've got a Garmin 8xx on the Birthday shopping list..

Some nice views, even if I did get stung to buggery by nettles on the singletrack :D

Climbing out of Twyford by neilgates, on Flickr

Shh.. don't tell the missus..

Bath time! by neilgates, on Flickr

:LOL:

Just got my birthday prezzies today

Planet X carbon Pro rival to compliment my Spesh carve comp

Currently working hard towards the London to Brighton off road for the BHF in September

I'm loving using my bike recently :) Bought a Trek 8.4 DS hybrid at the end of April for the commute to/from work. It's a total journey of about 13 miles, 10 miles of which are done on the train in the mornings and some afternoons - if it's not horribly late in the evening i'll ride all the way home :) 13 miles isn't a long distance by some of your standards on here but it's a good start point for me!

cracked head tube :( still frame is 15 years old - wonder how much it will cost to get repaired.

Give the lads at orange a bell and see what they can do for you...

though in fairness, if it's a 15yo frame and you've split a ring reinforced (or is it lugged??) headtube, I think it MAY be time to consider putting it out to grass anyway :shrug:

(and I'd have a word with whoever cut that steerer as well - it's got a squint like jack elam!)

If that's an alloy frame, it's basically dying I'm afraid. Ally work and age hardens over time and eventually loses all its flexibility. While that part could probably be welded up and remachined, chances are that the frame will crack up somewhere else before too long.

If that's an alloy frame, it's basically dying I'm afraid. Ally work and age hardens over time and eventually loses all its flexibility. While that part could probably be welded up and remachined, chances are that the frame will crack up somewhere else before too long.

Pretty much this.. As soon as you press the cup back in I'd bet it'd crack again

OK.. last time I was on a bike was about 10 yrs ago....... however have bought a 2nd hand one from a well known forum ;) for £150....

It's a 12 mile each way a day....

Any suggestions on how to build up to this, (reasonably flat, some up's and down's on the way but nothing too serious)

Yes I appreciate it's like any hobby, RRP was £600, OP bought it for £300 or so and added extras, hardly used, likewise in "cameraland" I could go and buy a 50d or a 5d Mk III...

ANyhow, in a rash (maybe under the influence) decision, I committed, so am buying...

Give the lads at orange a bell and see what they can do for you...

though in fairness, if it's a 15yo frame and you've split a ring reinforced (or is it lugged??) headtube, I think it MAY be time to consider putting it out to grass anyway :shrug:

(and I'd have a word with whoever cut that steerer as well - it's got a squint like jack elam!)

I did email them when I found out - not had a reply yet. its not all the way though the metal and I've been told it can be repaired but obvious wouldn't be as strong as before.

I'll have a word with myself tonight :LOL:

CRC have a frame on offer at the mo so could get new frame and bobs for 600ish shame that 180 more than my monthly wage :LOL: :crying:

new bike build is a go - ordered a new frame, BB, headset, rear wheel, seatpost, QR clamp. found a second hand fox RP23 shock for the frame but will need mounting hardware. can transfer most of my stuff over but needed a new wheel as it is DISC only at the rear so got CRC to build me one with XT hub, mavic XM119 rim, DT competition spokes with Pro-lock nipples. would have gone with the XC717 rims but for the sake of a few grams I saved £25

frame is a ghost ASX plus - pretty bog standard 4 bar linkage

92794.jpg

will be using a cable operated rear disc brake until I can afford another hope M4 tech to go with my front.

Summers back!!!! #tanlines

quite glad im going out early, riding in heat is hard work.. :puke:

new bike build is a go - ordered a new frame, BB, headset, rear wheel, seatpost, QR clamp. found a second hand fox RP23 shock for the frame but will need mounting hardware. can transfer most of my stuff over but needed a new wheel as it is DISC only at the rear so got CRC to build me one with XT hub, mavic XM119 rim, DT competition spokes with Pro-lock nipples. would have gone with the XC717 rims but for the sake of a few grams I saved £25

frame is a ghost ASX plus - pretty bog standard 4 bar linkage

will be using a cable operated rear disc brake until I can afford another hope M4 tech to go with my front.

looks nice, i cant believe the price CRC have those for at the moment :eek:

shock was not in the condition the seller said :( having to send it back for a refund - might just buy new.

shock was not in the condition the seller said :( having to send it back for a refund - might just buy new.

that sucks.. if you buy new id recommend buying from TFTuned. not necessarily the cheapest but they do all this before you get it:

"Not sure what's right for you, or can't find a certain shock? Just call us on 01373 826800 and one of our expert technicians will help you out.

New Fox rear shocks are individually prepped and set-up for you.

What we do to new shocks BEFORE you get them:

Strip, check for assembly faults, ensure optimum function
Set-up the shock for you, your bike and the way you ride (fitting a new spring if necessary)
Supply correct mount kits so they're ready to fit and ride
Detail the set-up we've done for you on the back of the invoice, for your future reference

.. and it doesn't stop there:

We'll be there to help it through its long life with the best service back-up
Want the ultimate damping performance? PUSH FactoryTuning option on most models
Free delivery (mainland UK)
"

http://www.tftunedshox.com/Catalogue/Shop-Fox/Fox/Forks-and-Rear-Shocks

I'm currently on their site drooling lol

wondering if I should wait since the 2014 shocks are advertised on the fox site

mojo also have an Ex Display 2013 FLOAT CTD REMOTE LV BV FACTORY KASHIMA for £300 in the correct length - waiting back to hear what the setting is.

Last edited:
OK.. last time I was on a bike was about 10 yrs ago....... however have bought a 2nd hand one from a well known forum ;) for £150....

It's a 12 mile each way a day....

Any suggestions on how to build up to this, (reasonably flat, some up's and down's on the way but nothing too serious)

Yes I appreciate it's like any hobby, RRP was £600, OP bought it for £300 or so and added extras, hardly used, likewise in "cameraland" I could go and buy a 50d or a 5d Mk III...

ANyhow, in a rash (maybe under the influence) decision, I committed, so am buying...

So have you started? Depends on your base level of fitness, I'd personally start 2-3 trips per week, or alternatively whilst the weather is nice in the evenings do some short evening rides to get into it then get cracking.

Good luck!

How easy is it to order components and build a bike up? I've been looking at cyclocross bikes but they can be quite expensive so I looking at getting a frame and building up with 2nd hand parts.
Is this worth doing (i.e. cheaper) or is it like building a PC where you don't particularly get a better spec for your money just better components?

it generally costs more - companies just get such discounts on components it's difficult to match the deals they do - for example, on my Dolan, if i'd have been happy with the components that were on offer on one of their fixed builds I'd have been able to get DI2 Ultegra for the price of the normal Wired one...

On the other hand, I know that every component on my machine is exactly the one I wanted, not what some product specification manager could get a good deal on. For a self confessed picky so and so like me, it was probably worth the extra £3-400 to get exactly the right crank lengths, stem raise, length,bar profile,materials and so forth...

With some astute purchasing and a unhurried approach, it's possible to pick up bargains on kit - for example there'll soon be a glut of 6700 ultegra on the market as the 11 speed is rolled out by the big S!

I have to say, I'm currently working on a 'crosser as a sort of do-it-all bike - stick guards on in the winter and use it as a roadbike, knobblies in summer for the offroad stuff around home that i'm currently completely overbiked for on the Inbred 456... Problem is, I dont want an Alu frame but do want to be running discs, but most of the carbon jobs don't have mudguard drillings/eyes and the Ti Lynskeys are a bit out of my budget for a winter hack and summer joyride bike...

How easy is it to order components and build a bike up?

pretty easy if you have the correct tools, just make sure you order the correct size parts going on what you are given. for example your frame manufacturer will have a specific size bottom bracket and heaset.

otherwise its just a mechano set. some bits you might want to get a bike shop to do, like press in the heaset cups and cut down the fork steerer.

just make sure you order the correct size parts going on what you are given. for example your frame manufacturer will have a specific size bottom bracket and headset.

:| sent back a couple of things this week cause I can't measure correctly lol

Knocked off bike 2nd time in just over 2 weeks. Worse than the last one- bruised bum, abrasion on arm and forks bent to hell. Not happy.

Sorry to hear that Jim, Wishing you a speedy recovery. (y)

Back