Pedal Power Thread

So I've been given the go-ahead to purchase a new bike as my 2011 Kona Fire Mountain is probably going to cost more to repair/service than is practical mainly because I'm lousy at keeping on top of maintenance. After owning it for quite a while I'm wondering whether a hybrid might suit me better. I cycle mainly on roads but occasionally I'll end up on footpaths (gravel/muddy-when-wet), canal towpaths and forest trails around Delamere park that are meant for walking (uneven, occasional roots, but not rocky or treacherous underfoot). Would a hybrid be up to what I'd probably call "gentle" off-roading, or is a proper MTB the way to go?

I cycle mainly on roads but occasionally I'll end up on footpaths (gravel/muddy-when-wet), canal towpaths and forest trails around Delamere park that are meant for walking (uneven, occasional roots, but not rocky or treacherous underfoot). Would a hybrid be up to what I'd probably call "gentle" off-roading, or is a proper MTB the way to go?

well - that pretty much sums up my "out the back door" offroad cycling (if I want some MTB type terrain, it's bike in the back of the car from where I live...) if I'm honest, and after years of riding around on the MTB, feeling completely "over-biked" I decided to get hold of a cyclocross bike and give that a try - best move I've ever made - perfect for the relatively non-technical stuff, okay on most stuff with the right tyres -need something with a bit of bite for the mud or rooty stuff for the next 6 months or so, but knobbly-edged file treads for the decent weather are great, and allow joining up the offroad stuff with 3-4 miles of roads if needed without feeling like you're dragging a boat-anchor behind the bike.

best of all, a typical 90 minute ride on the mtb was about 12 miles and 300kCals... 90 minutes now is generally 20-21 miles and 600kCals... so, more cake/bacon sandwiches for you're ride...

never been a huge fan of drops and it's really only a hack (excuse the pun) for evenings and winter when the mtb trails i normally ride are 8" deep in slop.

but we'll see :D
My winter hack is also my summer hack aka my one and only bike. 25c slicks + non disc brakes in the winter = :eek:

yeah dont fancy rim brakes and slicks. another reason for the flat bars was the full hyro disks :D

ive asked this elsewhere but i'm getting some full on roadie replies and I'm not wanting to be full lycra clad aero KOM machine just yet...

Saddlebag... I need something that can hold:

Smartphone (5.5" screen jobbie)
Card wallet (house key could be tucked in to this)
700 tube
CO2 cannister(s)
Multitool
Snack

Quite like the look of the Evoc Saddle Bag Tour, I know Evoc make some quality kit. Doesn't break the bank. Nice design etc. Not going to be pushing for any KOM so not looking for anything ridiculously aero or lightweight.

Or is there a better suggestion? Guess it needs to be waterproof being in an exposed location, or could just put things in a ziploc bags.

I use an Ortlieb saddle bag (mine's too small for your needs but they vary in size). It's a nice secure clip on/off mount system and waterproof with a simple yet clever zipless closing.

There's also the topeak Aero Wedge, nice design and comes in a few sizes.
Otherwise most saddle bags are much of a muchness.

Well I showed a pic of my 'pain cave' (shed) a couple of pages back and after some modernisation here is what is looks like now.

i-q8GTpXZ.jpg

Changes ? well I have upgraded the Tacx Vortex smart trainer to a Tacx Neo and installed a TV c/w Amazon Firestick for entertainment.

PC driving Zwift and Tacx Trainer software.

My long suffering wife just scratches her head and looks puzzled :rolleyes:

And here I am in ZWift attempting to sprint !

Cut me some slack here I am 69.

i-r4mftHW.jpg

Great fun and it keeps me off the streets when the weather is crap.

@badlywornroy I really really hope that I'm as dynamic as you are at 69! I'm not sure I could put out nearly 500W at 119bpm and I'm less than half your age - mucho respect.

Thanks Tim, I'm not aware if those numbers are good/bad or average for my age ? I average around 125miles most weeks on my bikes, outside when the weather is 'friendly' otherwise on the trainer. Pretty hilly around here, in and around the Yorkshire dales which helps the fitness. I realise I'm not going to be able to keep this regimen up indefinitely so do my best to enjoy it while I can. :)

Thanks Tim, I'm not aware if those numbers are good/bad or average for my age ? I average around 125miles most weeks on my bikes, outside when the weather is 'friendly' otherwise on the trainer. Pretty hilly around here, in and around the Yorkshire dales which helps the fitness. I realise I'm not going to be able to keep this regimen up indefinitely so do my best to enjoy it while I can. :)

Great numbers mate, but just think what you could manage with the back wheel in next time!!!!!!!!!
Only joking, your "man cave" looks the "dog's B's".

Well I showed a pic of my 'pain cave' (shed) a couple of pages back and after some modernisation here is what is looks like now.

i-q8GTpXZ.jpg

Changes ? well I have upgraded the Tacx Vortex smart trainer to a Tacx Neo and installed a TV c/w Amazon Firestick for entertainment.

PC driving Zwift and Tacx Trainer software.

My long suffering wife just scratches her head and looks puzzled :rolleyes:

And here I am in ZWift attempting to sprint !

Cut me some slack here I am 69.

i-r4mftHW.jpg

Great fun and it keeps me off the streets when the weather is crap.

Never mind 69, no slack needed there mate. You would laugh at me as you went steaming past! Lets just put it this way, my dad is younger than you so big respect!

Loving the pain cave. [emoji4]

As mentioned in an earlier post ive only recently got into the road bike scene after many years of enjoying mtbs.

My question for you experienced roadies is what range cassette are you guys using? Im based in beds and us such this county doesnt understand what a hill is but despite my relative lack of fitness ive never needed the big cog ratios of my standard cassette at all. I currently have 11-32 and i am considering dropping to 11-28 or even 11-25 (11s Ultegra), any recommendations other than move to the lake/ peak districts? [emoji4]

Last edited:
As mentioned in an earlier post ive only recently got into the road bike scene after many years of enjoying mtbs.

My question for you experienced roadies is what range cassette are you guys using? Im based in beds and us such this county doesnt understand what a hill is but despite my relative lack of fitness ive never needed the big cog ratios of my standard cassette at all. I currently have 11-32 and i am considering dropping to 11-28 or even 11-25 (11s Ultegra), any recommendations other than move to the lake/ peak districts? [emoji4]

Only took road cycling up in May as something to get me off the fags. Im doing most of my cycling around Rugby and Milton Keynes (the latter is where I work) and I've been using 12-27 without too much hassle.

The cassette and chain were well worn, as my bike was a press demo bike, so after struggling to get up some hills in the Peaks without the chain slipping, I've just moved onto a 12-29. Round MK I'm generally never going anywhere near the three biggest cogs. I've got a 52/36 up front so more than enough on the small cog for most climbs.

Thanks specialman. Im the same, the two or three largest cogs never get used but i am only using a 50-34 chain ring. I think i will go for the 11-28 cassette.

Ok, bit off topic but still about bikes - I see lots of people cycling (normally aged 15-30) without holding the handlebars. I remember kids doing it to look cool when young but how? Is it just a case of lightning the bars so they don't turn? Still baffled how it doesnt turn? Also I would be paranoid that I would not be able to react in time to prevent coming off. What i find really strange is that I have seen a few people with their hands in their hoodie pockets... crazy!

Ok, bit off topic but still about bikes - I see lots of people cycling (normally aged 15-30) without holding the handlebars. I remember kids doing it to look cool when young but how? Is it just a case of lightning the bars so they don't turn? Still baffled how it doesnt turn? Also I would be paranoid that I would not be able to react in time to prevent coming off. What i find really strange is that I have seen a few people with their hands in their hoodie pockets... crazy!
Balance and steer using the hips

Stopping in a hurry's still a problem. As it is when people use their aero bars on the road.

The bars don't really want to turn. A mixture of head angle & centrifugal force means that turning the bars away from the centre takes some force.

It does look squashed - small frame though.

Yeah new CCDB IL coil with a nukeproof SLS Spring. Weights 650g

Where did you get that from? I'd love to post that on a cycling group I'm part of [emoji1]

Back