Perseids Meteor Shower tonight......12th Aug

About to head on up to the downs and see what I can garner .. should be good :)

Not seen any meteors but had a go at setting it all up, I can either have under exposed but ok colour or ok exposure and a nice red tint. Not sure if this is colour shift or light pollution however being so close to London/Heathrow.

Using f3.5 18mm with a 25-30s shutter ISO 800.

Down the ISO to 100-200 and up the aperture to at least f/11 (IMO) as with that setup at that length, I'd be very surprised if you get anything useable.

which direction are we to be looking?

Trev lay back, look pretty much straight up, relax and use your peripheral vision. Some real bright ones leaving trails, of the 23 at least half have been like that.

This isn't cold really. Cold is when all the kit has a layer of ice on it. Damned hard to carry then.

Only the odd cloud here but mostly clear. Haven't seen one trail yet :(

This was my attempt but I dont think it was one!
4886720466_d434f2c764_b.jpg

Sod all seen here, just spent 10 mins in the garden but nowt too be seen down south.

4886159911_000f5fde6e_z.jpg

iso very high :/ 6400 on nikon d5000 hi one iso so i think thats 6400 sorry if wrong ? :) what do you think ?

Very nice! but it looks like an aircraft to me ...

Looks like it to me too, with the pulsing light they have causing the regular spaced bright bits.
I got bored, all the trails chose the 30s I didn't have the shutter running to appear :bang:

drove to keswick and came straight back as it was too cloudy and there was also some mist

Nowt but clouds here in Newcastle have to hope for better skies tomorrow..

Nowt but clouds here in Newcastle have to hope for better skies tomorrow..

Sadly that seems to be the general consensus tonight, there have been no significant contributions to suggest ideal conditions anywhere so far.

I suspect there will be many of us looking skyward again tomorrow night! :wacky: :)

Last edited:
I've just been sitting in the garden for over an hour down here in Essex. The show wasn't exactly non stop but we did see about a dozen, including two very bright ones. Also saw a satelite and plenty of sheet lightning. Didn't attempt to photograph, I was just pleased to have seen them as the last few times have coincided with cloudy skies.

Was clear up here in Fife, saw about 40 to 50, in about 1.5 hours, just in away to check photos.

North Lincolnshire reporting.... just saw 4 in about the space of 5 minutes but the clouds are starting to roll in now..

Another break in the clouds let me see about 4 in the space of 5 mins. Got my sister to come out and look too, then we saw a bright one together :) Then a cloud covered the area up they were appearing so we went back in.

Still, my first astronomical thingy I've seen other than the stars and a couple of eclipses, so I'm quite happy :)

Been clear here for the past half hour or so, and not to bad before that, saw around 20 and ive come in now because of the cold!

Seen plenty tonight, back in for the night now. About 10 were very bright with trails, beautiful stuff. One went alongside a plane, it was quite surreal. Obviously it shot past the plane but still looked pretty good.

Sod all seen here, just spent 10 mins in the garden but nowt too be seen down south.

That surprises me, it was almost like it was planned here in the New Forest.
It was cloudy until about 11.45 then it cleared to not a cloud in the sky.
Must have seen a good 20 or 30 between then and now, some that were very large covering a large portion of the sky with massive trails.

Yet not a single pic got one :crying:

I've just been to Folkestone overlooking the Channel and didn't see any tonight. I usually see a lot of shooting stars when I'm out fishing in Folkestone/Hythe/Dungeness area and I did see about 4 in one night last week. No pics though...

A few years ago when I was fishing in Dungeness, where all was still (including the weather) and the sea was calm, I saw and even HEARD a huge meteor burst in through the sky right above me and it was like a crack of lightning, a massive explosion or a very dramatic car crash something like that -and the trail I saw from that! Wow! I keep thinking about it a lot when I'm out at night - really special - it wasn't just a flash and a streak it was of such a bright and brilliant intensity and had yellow and green and tinges of blue at the edges - truly unforgettable stuff! If I had taken a picture of that - boy oh boy it would have won some competitions!

I'm new to DSLRs, so forgive me this question, but is it possible to setup some kind of auto-shot with external add-on equipment where if the camera's sensor notices a flare of light on the lens in dark shots, the camera automatically takes a shot? Just a thought!

I've just been to Folkestone overlooking the Channel and didn't see any tonight. I usually see a lot of shooting stars when I'm out fishing in Folkestone/Hythe/Dungeness area and I did see about 4 in one night last week. No pics though...

A few years ago when I was fishing in Dungeness, where all was still (including the weather) and the sea was calm, I saw and even HEARD a huge meteor burst in through the sky right above me and it was like a crack of lightning, a massive explosion or a very dramatic car crash something like that -and the trail I saw from that! Wow! I keep thinking about it a lot when I'm out at night - really special - it wasn't just a flash and a streak it was of such a bright and brilliant intensity and had yellow and green and tinges of blue at the edges - truly unforgettable stuff! If I had taken a picture of that - boy oh boy it would have won some competitions!

I'm new to DSLRs, so forgive me this question, but is it possible to setup some kind of auto-shot with external add-on equipment where if the camera's sensor notices a flare of light on the lens in dark shots, the camera automatically takes a shot? Just a thought!

I've seen something very similar to that. Just as you described.
Actually took my breathe away.

Shan't forget that in a hurry!

Quite clear here at Loch Lomondside.

Took around 140 shots on a timer and never got a thing apart from a satellite passing. Plenty of them around apart from where my lens was pointing. One in particular was spectacular, very bright and a mega trail from it.

Got one of the little Blighters!

only took 2 hours and ~100 frames :s

Thing is, I packed up when there was a bright one right where I was pointing the camera, but the last frame came up blank and this was about 20 minutes earlier :s I reckon I must've blinked...

Last edited:
f/2.8 24mm ISO400 20seconds. Cropped quite a bit

comparing it to yours (very nice by the way) then I don't think it is one.

last time I caught them... they were about that dim though

here:

3820549126_18a77bfc45_z_d.jpg

there's a satellite that's the bright one (you can tell by the gap in the line, which occurred between frames) and there's a very dim Perseid on the left.

They can vary quite a lot in brightness, so the jury's still out methinks.

Back