Pest control Au Natural

Cobra

In Memoriam. TPer Emeritus
Admin
Name
The real Chris
Edit My Images
No
2 years ago, I was inundated with Aphids.
I bought 100 ladybird larva, in that late spring,
It didn't take long for them to get stuck in, and within a few months, no more Aphids.
Last year, there were still plenty of ladybirds around, it looks like they hibernated behind the bamboo.
But sadly none this year.
I'm guessing the harsh winter was unkind to them.

I'm back to being inundated Aphids again.
So, I now have 25 ladybirds & 50 larva on patrol.

Tiny at the moment, the Larvae are no more than a speck of dirt, I guess they aren't long hatched,
same for the ladybirds, they would sit on a pin head, but there is plenty of food, and they'll grow.
I hope they are hungry.

IMG_8817.jpg

Last edited:
I deploy a squadron of ladybirds most years to control the aphids in my garden. They must have done a good job last year, as there are not as many aphids. Or maybe it has been a bad winter for the ants that farm them...

maybe it has been a bad winter for the ants that farm them...
They don't need ants, to survive, they just suck the life force out of plants.
The ants for their part drink the sugary by-product.

Oh and there are plenty of ants here too :(

2 years ago, I was inundated with Aphids.
I bought 100 ladybird larva, in that late spring,
It didn't take long for them to get stuck in, and within a few months, no more Aphids.
Last year, there were still plenty of ladybirds around, it looks like they hibernated behind the bamboo.
But sadly none this year.
I'm guessing the harsh winter was unkind to them.

I'm back to being inundated Aphids again.
So, I now have 25 ladybirds & 50 larva on patrol.

Tiny at the moment, the Larvae are no more than a speck of dirt, I guess they aren't long hatched,
same for the ladybirds, they would sit on a pin head, but there is plenty of food, and they'll grow.
I hope they are hungry.

View attachment 393772
Will they eat leaf-mining beetles?
These little blighters are ruining my miniature Cherry trees. :(

I've seen no Ladybirds in the garden, but, I've seen a few larva stuck to the crop and making the transformation in the fields, so hopefully they will be flying very soon, bad start to the year may have delayed them..?

Fingerscross :)

I think picking and burning the leaves is the way :(
Sprays can work, but wipe out all the good beasts too... squashing the tunnels may help, but they could still survive, Ladybird & Lacewing Larve may help, but not sure if they'll dig the leaves for them.

Didn't seen any larvae or pupae last year but there were a few adults around. This year, there are loads of pupae on the cherry tree and smaller ornamental Prunus shrub. Shame the cherries are a bit too tart for our taste but it does mean we don't begrudge the birds who seem to enjoy them!!!

There is nothing that I am aware of that eat them, there are a few solutions ( literally) on T'inernet.
I had a look on my supplier's site, and they don't list anything.
As Gav said the most common solution seems to be is to pick the leaves off.
, bad start to the year may have delayed them..?
I suspect so
or as above, wiped out a lot of them.
:(
Be careful with ladybirds - they can be partial to a bit on manflesh, and leave a nasty bite.
Years ago, ( it was a very hot summer) I went to a house, their conservatory was literally full of them,
As yes, I did get bitten, several times while I was spraying them.
Not much more than ouch you bugger, swat, though.

Last edited:
Mrs WW makes a spray which seems to drive the aphids away. I don't know what's in it but if anyone is interested I could ask for the recipe.

Chris , LB numbers massively down here, of interest also not seeing the huge number of harlequin either , we have seen a build up of in recent years. aphid numbers are good though :(

Mate normally our very wild rough garden just balances it'self..............I'm just wondering if the wet had an effect and with time we will see LB numbers bounce back up, just a bit later than normal?.

If ya look hard bud there is much to worry on right now...but always hope..there has to be hope

Mrs WW makes a spray which seems to drive the aphids away. I don't know what's in it but if anyone is interested I could ask for the recipe.
There are all sorts of potions that are supposed to drive them off, I'd rather they were eaten. No chance of them returning :D
Thanks anyway Alan :)
If ya look hard bud there is much to worry on right now...but always hope..there has to be hope
Its been an up hill battle here this year, the slugs were having a field day, on new growth, sorted with salt and copper barriers,
and a homemade slug bait trap .

Scale has made a mess of a few of my Bonsai's, sorted with nematodes.

Squirrels being a pain digging up bonsai's, tender plants & tuba's, sorted with, well I'll leave you to figure that one out :D
And last but least the afore mentioned Aphids

There are all sorts of potions that are supposed to drive them off, I'd rather they were eaten. No chance of them returning :D
Thanks anyway Alan :)

I think she makes it out of oranges or lemons or something. I does seem to work but where they go I just don't know :D

As for eating them... if the WEF get their way we'll be eating them shortly :D

Last edited:
I'm just wondering if the wet had an effect and with time we will see LB numbers bounce back up, just a bit later than normal?.
Forgot to add, my best guess, as above, was the harsh winter -10 to -12 at times and of course the fallen snow, that froze never helped.
It killed a few of my hardy plants...
Lets hope that they do bounce back :)

The numbers are very low in our garden. So far this year I've seen one adult ladybird and two larvae.

Dave

I deploy a squadron of ladybirds most years to control the aphids in my garden. They must have done a good job last year, as there are not as many aphids. Or maybe it has been a bad winter for the ants that farm them...
Just spotted an army of ants walking up and down our apple tree - time to deploy the ladybird squadron.

Forgot to add, my best guess, as above, was the harsh winter -10 to -12 at times and of course the fallen snow, that froze never helped.
It killed a few of my hardy plants...
Lets hope that they do bounce back :)
Chris we grow stuff too, beyond the wild raggedy garden( which has mainly fruit and nut trees) a huge amount of our food via a preddy big double allotment. I kinda try to work with nature so rarely spray...I hear ya on the winter........I'm midlands based it was brutal here.hmm I was grafting out side try to get folks houses complete. Eually cold to the temps you quoted But then the beast from the east had us down low and didn't seem to clobber me ladybugs......

.Maybe it's a combo of the long cold spells followed by the wet mate. Chris I'm no bright spark and don't really keep records but each an every year the aphids come start to bloom and then up pop the ladybirds A tiny bit later.........so that is where me hope comes from. Aphid also seem late this year

Lol I know many ways to deal with a squiggle......I was taught by an astounding trapper as a kidlet in forestry eons back......I don't really do any of it much now I'm so ferkin soft, but yeah I probably don't need to figure the hows. ;)

I guess if there was a glimmer of hope of reds returning I could lean into the greys.............I'd adore my birth right being restored Chris I could put myself through the mill for that . Grey squigs are stunning animals I just don't want them here !!!!!!!!!

Chris we grow stuff too, beyond the wild raggedy garden( which has mainly fruit and nut trees) a huge amount of our food via a preddy big double allotment. I kinda try to work with nature so rarely spray..
I have a load of strawberries in planters that are producing well, but that's it on the grow your own front ever since the neighbours complained about the pig :D

But then the beast from the east had us down low and didn't seem to clobber me ladybugs......
Lucky, (y) I'm probably a bit below you location wise.

Aphid also seem late this year
Not here sadly, they suddenly appeared with a vengeance a few weeks back.

I thought the Gastropod problem was under control. When I went out late last night to check if the hoggies had cleared up,
There was a little dog meat left, it was covered slugs and they were "lovin it"
( It probably tastes about the same too : ) )

On closer inspection there were a couple of dozen Gastropods on the lawn.
I guess that as it had been drizzling all afternoon and well into the night, it was ideal for them..
It looks like the home made traps need refilling. I guess I'll make some more as well. Theirs my task for the afternoon.

Last edited:
As I've noted elsewhere, I have also been having problems with squirrels,
firstly chewing the bottom off a bird feeder, and dragging it across the lawn, I solved that with a revolving sleeve ( a plastic bottle slid over the arm of the feeder)
Next it took to digging up plants and tuba's and then turned it's attention to excavating my bonsai tree pots.
Enough was enough out went the traps. 2 Squirrels later and it was all quiet on the western front..
Or so I thought.
I went outside this morning, just in time to see another run along the fence and jump into next doors tree.

I said a few choice words, including Sir Billy's favourite ..
I had left the trap in place, just in case.
3 hours later and another large male fell for the jam bait..

Last edited:
Are they too big to be used as feed for your pets (or too small for you!)?

I wonder if greys still have an anti snake instinct? If so, maybe a yard of orange hose wound up a feeder pole could be an effective deterrent? (Half in jest but could be worth a try!!!)

Are they too big to be used as feed for your pets (or too small for you!)?
The corn snakes are too small, 30g ( Adult males) mice is about their limit.
Rat pups for last year's babies.
I wouldn't eat them, but they don't go to waste, reduced to kit form the red kites are happy :)
Shame it's not warmer here, I'd love to see a squizzles face when a snake is curled around the base of the feeder in wait :D
:LOL: the trap(s) are on the Bonsai shelves / stands, as they now seem to be the target :(
I wonder if greys still have an anti snake instinct? If so, maybe a yard of orange hose wound up a feeder pole could be an effective deterrent? (Half in jest but could be worth a try!!!)
As above, they don't go near the feeders any more, the plastic bottle seems to have done the trick.

It's been a lot of years since their ancestors lived in a country with snakes big enough to eat them.
TBH they would have been more at risk from Red Tails, Harris' Hawks and like.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear the Bonsai are being targeted :(
My flowering Chinese Cherry apple was covered in blossom in the spring, that obviously gave way to a lot of "fruit"
Over the course of 2 days they stripped it, all bar 2 :(

Well, it was worth a try but it would appear that it's easier to climb a dimpled hose than a relatively slick pole! All the feeders are squirrel proof so he didn't get much and even shaking the feeder didn't release much in the way of seed for him.

Well, it was worth a try but it would appear that it's easier to climb a dimpled hose than a relatively slick pole!
Every little helps :D

#4 this morning.

Back to the original point of this post (post#1)

Its been a few days since I pinned out the release bags, one in particular, was pinned to the stalk of a small group of sunflowers that were black with Aphids.
Today, no more Aphids, there at least. (y)

There are still some small "pockets" of Aphids here and there, but 5 days on, they have certainly earned their keep!

Just after the above posts chris was watching a gardener on you tube.we grow a lot of food,he noted how he was suddenly seeing lots of ladybirds.he is sommerset way. Same here now bud we are seeing more and more each day it seems. So whilst I worry constantly on the god damn awful mess we are making seems the ladybirds pop here ain't done yet. Seen 2 spot 7spot the black 'un with red spot is it kidney an orange fella maybe harlequin , all on one parsnip plant this morn which was really lovely

Always hope buddy (y)

As I noted elsewhere, I've not seen that many, since the big release.
But I've not seen many Aphids either.
I guess they are still around and chomping through the pests.

IMG_8945.jpg

A bit of an update,
Since releasing the Ladybirds & larvae, I've seen, very little of either.
However, on the plus side, I've not seen an aphid for a couple of weeks either (y)

My biggest issue now, has been slugs and snails, they have been decimating various plants, even eating sunflower stems and flowers.
And those stems and flowers are huge.
I was picking up a couple of dozen per night, and dealing with them one way or another.
I went for more species specific nematodes ( I used them to destroy the scale on the little trees, they suck the sap out of the trees and prevent them from growing / flowering)

The nematodes have only been down a short while, and already I'm starting to see dead slugs, snails too, although
they are not supposed to work on snails. That's a plus.

I'm finding jellied slugs in some curious places.
I never knew they liked the "picnic table" Maybe they went "high" to avoid the Nematodes.
Too late!

I wish I'd done this earlier.
I'll certainly be topping them up next spring,

I'm finding jellied slugs in some curious places.
I never knew they liked the "picnic table" Maybe they went "high" to avoid the Nematodes.
Too late!

I wish I'd done this earlier.
I'll certainly be topping them up next spring,
The nematodes work extremely well in our garden, two or three helpings during the summer :)

Back