Phone extension length limit?

Name
Edit My Images
No
I need to put a phone extension cable in for my computer to modem.im just wondering if there is a length limit before the signal starts degrading too much as I'm going to need quite a length to get round the living room to where I want my desk.

Or failing that. Leave the modem in the hallway, as that means I get a wireless signal quite well in most rooms upstairs, and just put a really long network cable in.

I just want my main pc connected with a cable as that's always better/faster than a wireless connection.

Last edited:
Is it a normal phone line? No problems with quite long lengths, you can usually buy 10m premade.

As far as I know it's a normal one. This is a BT modem.

As an aside, just looking at the network cables on Amazon, there are all different types, cat5, cat 5e, cat 6. Which is the one I need?

Cat 5/6/7 are all standards of the same cable just made to technically support faster speeds.
Cat5 was supposed to be 10/100 but can easily be used as 1000 (1gb) on short runs, longer runs of 1gb you should use a better spec cable but that's just it.

I have a 15m ethernet cable between the router (in the living room)and the pooter (in the study) and have no problems with speed degradation whatever.

From memory the limit for Ethernet cable ( at least for cat 5/6) is 100M. I've used 30M with no problems

Deffo use Cat 5 cable, more security and more speed than wireless! I know it can be a pain running cable and hiding it but it's worth it.

Master socket to modem length is effectively just an extension of your telephone line length from the cabinet, provided you use decent cable, e.g. cat5e

Or if you place the modem by the master socket and use cat5e (the better solution IMO) then in a domestic dwelling you are very unlikely to hit the length limit beyond which cat5e will not support gigabit (100 meters).

Cat5e will be better than powerline if you have a decent broadband speed or do any sort of file copies between machines on the network...
Or gaming.

Powerline tend to introduce latency and a fraction of Gigabit bandwidth.
Powerline will be fine if you do not game and don't have a really fast internet connection.

Or contact BT and ask how much to move the Master socket.

Certainly better not to use a "phone" extension between the Master socket and the modem (router). Cat 5/5e/6 from the router to your PC will be much better solution.

Assuming we are talking about a patch ( Ethernet) cable not a phone cable.
A friend of mine has just wired up his EE modem to his pc with a 20m Cat5 and suffered no drop in speed, he is on the 16Mbps deal.
I have just installed a TP-Link powerline kit for my TV V6 box with a virgin 100Mhps cable connection and get a 50% drop in speed.

Back