Beginner Photo shoot

Edit My Images
Yes
I need to have a new product photo shoot for my website. The last time was in 2009 when I went to a studio for the day that had a white scoop that included lighting. The chap who developed my website at the time also took the images and edited them for the website. It worked well at the time, but it's now desperate for new images now I've redeveloped the site myself recently.

This time I want my leather headboards pictured in a bedroom set so they are in context. An 8ft high wall by 12ft wide made up of MDF and wallpapered, a bed, bedside cabinets, etc.

I don't have a big budget, but have a few options and was hoping for some opinions before I make a decision.

Do I hire a studio and build my own set, which will be no problem, but it will mean paying the first day to build the set, but I can easily do that. Then get help from the studio (probably be a cost) to get the lighting set up for my needs and then take the images myself. I've had a price and seen other rates and it's about £300 a day with lighting, £200 dry hire. I'd need a dry day and two full days, so about £800, plus £100 set up for the lighting was quoted from one studio, plus the set cost.

I have a Nikon D90 with an 18-105mm that I bought years ago and a new MacBook Pro, plus an iMac at home. But I really have no experience with the camera and am not even sure if the lens is suitable.

I also have a 5m x 5m space available in my workshop that I could build the set and then hire a photographer, who I presume will bring lighting and take the images. So here there will be no cost for the space, but what will a photographer charge for two days shooting?

I'd also be happy to edit the images myself as I have Photoshop that I pay for monthly while I work on my new website.

I do like doing things myself as I'm quite fussy and also did hire a photographer before 2009 and the images were not good enough, and soon replaced. It would also be interesting to have a go myself in a studio, and the pics don't have to be perfect, but certainly good enough for a product on a website.

Just wondered what people thought!

Spend some time looking at the websites of product photographers in your area. If they list clients, contact some of them and ask if they were happy.

Pick a couple of the photographers from your final list and ask them how much it would cost for them to come to your location to act as a trainer and consultant. It may be dearer in the short term but more fun and useful in the long run. You would need to factor in the cost of buying your own lights and modifiers or of renting the same periodically. Lots of info in the studio/lighting section of the forum on such things.

Thanks for the replies. I have had a look at local websites offering photography, but as mentioned I did try that before and wasn't happy, although I know I may have been unlucky.

The set in my workshop would only be temporary to do this shoot. But I really like the idea of having a go myself so it won't seem so daunting and costly to do it again in the future and not leave it so long again. I can also spend as much time as I like adjusting and learning without any pressure if I hire some equipment for a week.

I've noticed (( https://calumetrental.co.uk )) hire equipment and even deliver it which I'll look into, as Leeds (( http://www.theflashcentre.com )) would be the closest city where I can find a hire centre and thats about 60 miles from me.

I'll start some separate threads once things move along a little in my brain about what equipment I would need, what lens would be best to use on my Nikon D90, etc.

I did buy the D90 about 6 years ago to get into photography, so now may be the time!

Hire a pro :)

Pretty much this... speak to the pro, give them an idea of the set you're building, ask what space requirements outside the set they'll need for their lighting (hint:it's ALWAYS more than you'd expect!) then book them for a couple of days to do the shooting - you build the set, get it all ready for 'em, then let them wheel their kit in and get on with the job. As to processing, you'll probably find they'd be able to do a more cost effective job of the editing than you would, if you actually value your own time - basically any produc photographer worth their salt will be able to turn around edited shots in 1/10th of the time you will, to a better standard. Your time is better spent in managing your own business...

(Should declare, maybe 25 years ago, this kind of shoot was the core of my photography business - used to do shoots for a couple of furniture companies, and 3 bathroom kit companies... building room-sets like you mentioned from 8x4 flats, wallpapering / tiling the whole works. Which is why I mentioned the speak to the photographer and leave more room than you expect bit!) - I don't do this kind of thing anymore, I found that working at photography killed my enjoyment of it - and - the money was rubbish compared to a day job with computers at the time, probably still is tbh! )

You don't specify exactly where "60 miles from leeds" is from, but (naughty, I know) I checked your message IP addresses (priviledges of staff... ;) ) and its saying York (ETA:Okay, from the website, it's Scarborough 0 there are limits to IP address accuracy)... I'm sure that there are some pro's from near enough to that area, maybe even a few on this forum...

Last edited:
I know a good pro will be better and faster, but I do like doing things myself.

If anyone is near, then maybe we could talk and see what's possible, who knows.

Last edited:
PMSL - I'd suggest folks don't googlefor the name of the company that was mentioned earlier (and subsequently removed) on a works computer BTW, you may not get just a website selling Leather Headboards ;)

Last edited:
I'd be happy to chat to any members in fact who would be interested.

Last edited:
but the link at the bottom of the page would be enough in some companies to get you a verbal warning...

If you want training in product photography, try these guys : http://shootadvisory.com/
It's a service for people like yourselves who have a product, but would like to know how to photograph your product in order to get images for marketing and advertising.

Be aware though that:
a) going down this training route will mean that it will take longer to get these new images ready for your website
b) it may cost more in the short-term to pay for training than hire a photographer for a day, but it's an investment in your ability to do your own photography long-term, saving your money

If you decide to do it yourself, you're going to need to invest in some kit. Even if you use your existing camera, you'll need some lights.

Nothing wrong with learning to do it yourself, but you will need to spend time and money on it, but as a business you have to work out if it's worth the investment.

Back