Beginner Photo storage and filing

Edit My Images
Yes
Does there exist an 'idiots guide' to storing photographs.

I'm honestly so crap with technology it's untrue and as I explore photography I'm finding it increasing hard to know how best to store everything on my macbook pro.

there are so many cloud systems these days that stuff is getting synced with iCloud, one drive and dropbox, I'm finding it difficult to set up folders for my photos in iOS (I've recently converted from windows and find the whole folder structure on iOS so confusing).

Please help :)

Thanks in advance

I just use an external hard drive as well as the memory card. I think that's simple enough to store my own photos.
Ian

I just use an external hard drive…

+1

After a location shoot, I will backup my RAW files to an external
2 TB HD. I Tend to leave no photos on my MBP.

Later, they will all be copied to my studio machine for culling and,
before processing, moved to a 5TB Image Bank HD where they
will live and backed up to the 5TB Archive HD.

On Mac, click on your hard drive icon. In the finder menu, FILE - NEW FOLDER. Decide where to save it. Easy. External hard drive(s) good way to go. Make sure you set up a logical folder structure so you can find things again in the SEARCH box. Choose a name, a date, a topic, depending on what you shoot. Don't dump it all in one folder.

I'm only familiar with the file system in Microsoft but I'm guessing any other system is going to let you do the same thing. I am not a professional photographer so don't need a complicated structure for clients etc.

Within a folder called Photos I have a folder for each year, 2014, 2015, etc

Within each year folder there is folder for each month – a Jan, b Feb, c Mar etc. I use letters before the month name so the months are displayed in the correct order when I look at the folders.

Each month folder has a folder for every day I have taken a photo that I have kept.

There is probably a simpler way but this works for me.

To allow me to find a photo when I can't remember when I took it I use the organiser in Photoshop Elements (PSE). It allows multilayered tagging of shots which makes finding a particular photo of a sunset, friend, animal, place, event, etc very easy. Putting tags on your photos can be time consuming but I found after even relatively few shots I needed something to organise them and make things easy to find. Other organising solutions are available.

When I am being really well disciplined I backup the shots of the day to an external hard drive.

Dave

Yes, I use a similar system, that typically looks like this:

+2015
---- January
------- 03 West Park
------- 06 Film Noir Shoot
----+February
----+March
-----April
-------14 Day Out
-------21 Cat
-------23 Austria

But I add a subject for most days to make browsing the folders easier.

Then this all gets copied to an external (NAS) disk.

Last edited:
It's well worth indexing your image folders with titles so you can find things later...and it's worth culling all those images that are totally useless, out of focus, completely over exposed etc. If you stick with photography in the years to come you will have tens of thousands of images and terrabytes of images. Keep any that you might be able to use later as your processing skills improve. You can also use a programme like Lightroom to tag images with key words to find things.

I only take photos for myself and for a Facebook page that I run, as well as some websites. There is no filing system including many clients. If there was, however, the folder structure (in point 1) would change but my backup strategy would remain at least the same or be tightened with adding a backup of disk 3 (point 4).

Coming from IT, where we say that files backed up once (or even twice) don't exist, I know losing your most precious photos is a real possibility. I've been through a few HD failures, on laptops, PC's and external, so I'm not taking any chances. Trust me, it's stuff of nightmares.

1. I use Lightroom to import everything on my PC, where it is set up to COPY photos from my memory card into E:/Photos. The folder system is as follows.

2011 (YYYY)
--2011-01 (YYYY-MM)
-- --2011-01-01 (YYYY-MM-DD)
-- --2011-01-02
-- --... and so on for each day of month
--2011-02
--2011-02
--... and so on for each month of year
--2012-01
-- --2012-01-01
-- --... repeat subfolders for each day of month (2012-01-02 through to 2012-01-31)
... repeat subfolders for each month (2012-02 through to 2012-12)

Lightroom can organise this for you. I googled and found how to do that. You set it once and it self-organises on each import. The reason for this date format is it's easy to sort in Explorer. Even if I copied day folders only for a various months and years, say 2011-04-31, 2011-05-01, 2011-05-02, 2015-06-28, I could sort them by date chronologically, while if they format was dd-mm-yyyy, the operating system (well, Windows, anyway) would not be able to sort chronologically but only alphabetically which is useless to me.

Until I create my second backup, I do not format my memory card. So, if it's full, I either start a new memory card or import and create a second backup, and only then format the memory card. This is because if my computer goes bust (trust me, it's a real possibility), I still have all the photos that are not on 1TB USB 3 disk (second backup disk) - they are still all available on my memory cards).

2. Second backup is on a 1TB USB 3 hard drive (nice and fast) using AllwaySync software (inexpensive and reliable). I back up the whole folder structure above to the disk. The softward will sync the files, i.e. it'll leave files that are the same intact, it will overwrite files you've modified (e.g. changed metadata or applied adjustments), it'll delete the files you have deleted from your computer (such as rejects), and it'll write anything new, comparing the whole file / folder system for you.

3. Third backup is from 1TB USB 3 disk to 2TB USB 2 disk (something that I have from years back). I still use AllwaySync but because of the larger capacity here I don't propagate deletions. Thus, all the new files will be written, all the modified files overwritten, but all of the deleted files will be left. I can delete them at any time and, as it's a 2TB disk, space will not be a problem for some time. It ensures that if I deleted something from my computer by accident and propagated the deletion to disk 2, disk 3 would still contain all those old files, even after a year or five, I could go there and find them.

4. That's it. But, ideally, I would have an exact copy of the third backup.

I use Dropbox but not for backing up my photos. It's more for backing up work in progress, such as if I'm working on photo books, creative projects, typesetting stuff, optimising for web... All workflows are backed up to Dropbox. This means that I can quickly share with people if I need to. I also run a FB page and I have to optimise photos for that and up load 2-10 or so photographs daily. For that, I use just PC's library folder Pictures, and back that up alongside My Documents, Videos and stuff like that, once a month or so, to a different drive, also using AllwaySync software.

I hope it helps.

Oksana

If you want to back up your data without running a risk of ever really losing it then you could opt for a cloud based storage solution where by the provider gives you X space at Y cost per year and everything is backed up to them and backed up a number of times further there end.

I used the following:
- 2x 4TB RAID 0 Seagate NAS drives + 2x 4TB RAID 0 Seagate NAS drives - This gives 2x 8TB high speed storage drives that I use for storage of all sorts from photos to steam back ups etc. (4x 4TB total - 16TB over two virtual drives)
- 1x 8TB Seagate Archive drive which acts as a back up or mirror of RAID 0-1 (the first 2x 4TB RAID solution) as well as an 1x 8TB Seagate Archive drive that acts as a mirror of RAID 0-2 (the second 2x 4TB raid solution). (16TB total over two physical drives)
- 1x 8TB Seagate archive drive as a spare in case of failure of one of the two active 8TB drives.
- 1x 4TB Seagate NAS drive in case one of the 4 drives in the pair of RAID 0 drives drops out. This can then be used to rebuild the RAID 0 and a copy off of one of the 8TB archive drives can be copied back over to the rebuilt RAID.

That's pretty over kill to be completely honest for most users but I work in the PC components industry so I have sort of been dragged in to this level of protection both because it cant hurt and because one-up-manship of friends/colleagues is always fun.

A simple 2TB + 2TB RAID 1 would more than be sufficient whilst keeping a third copy of regularly used files on the computer you use.

Its not a conventional way of backing up that have explained that I use but if anyone is interested please feel free to ask.

A simple 2TB + 2TB RAID 1 would more than be sufficient whilst keeping a third copy of regularly used files on the computer you use.

Its not a conventional way of backing up that have explained that I use but if anyone is interested please feel free to ask.

I had 4 disk RAIDs go very wrong and all disks but one (I think) fail because of a single disk failure and my not spotting it in time. I don't remember being able to retrieve anything from that. Cloud storage is a good idea, but they are constant and continuous and keep only a number or recent backups, so it would be impossible to retrieve something you deleted by accident a year ago. I think I found for myself something that works for me :)

Back