Photographer killed in Harris

How terribly sad. Such a tragedy. :(

I must admit I've been astounded at times by the risks some people take to get a picture - mostly those with phones though to be fair, not serious togs.

From my club, she was a very talented photographer.
We are stunned.

I can fully understand. Usually these things are just a subtle reminder to ourselves to be careful, but then in our small world when one of our members has close knowledge it impact more.
Thoughts for you and her family.

Condolences to her family and friends.
Timely reminder of how powerful nature can be.
I used to go sea fishing and some anglers took liberties, one big wave and you're gone.

Very sad news. Some of our club were there a couple of weeks ago. Terrible thing to happen.

Very sad. I was at that spot on a workshop just last week. It is a beautiful place to be and we were all in awe of the power of the crashing waves, the colour of the sea and the golden sand. It is a tragic reminder that such beauty can hide such danger for the unaware. So, so sad

Very sad news. A reminder to us all that no shot is worth that much to get, we must all be careful

I live on the coast near many beaches and unfortunately it is very dangerous.

The coastal rescue team are busy people so take care if doing photography of this type.

I thought Mr Heatons recent video was a poor example though I guess he knows that bit of beach well.
Some types of swell are very unpredictable and will suddenly send a much deeper wave far higher than the rest.
If caught on rock or slipway you could be knocked over by a foot of water and dragged out with very little chance of getting back.

Confirmed that the lady was on an organised photography trip being run by Guy Edwardes.

1553698011321.png

I thought Mr Heatons recent video was a poor example though I guess he knows that bit of beach well.
Some types of swell are very unpredictable and will suddenly send a much deeper wave far higher than the rest.
If caught on rock or slipway you could be knocked over by a foot of water and dragged out with very little chance of getting back.

I thought the bit he showed at the start of the video on the slip set a bad example too.

When I was at Reynisfjara beach in Iceland, I got caught out by a wave.... I was stood on the water edge for a while taking photos with the tide just reaching my feet. All of a sudden I was up to my waist in water. I later found out how dangerous and unpredictable that area can be so I consider myself lucky to just get wet.

Yes, this was demonstrated on the BBC, maybe country file, when I guy went and stood in the water running from a damn. It was a constant flow and he was roped up. He couldn't keep his feet once it was about 18" up his legs. It's such a dangerous thing; rock fisherman in Australia often find this out to their cost [and of course, to the people that care about them].

It will be interesting to hear the circumstances around this sad incident.

I was in Lewis & Harris last week and there was very high winds. The waves come in with an incredible force and it was interesting to watch but from a distance. I was with a friend and we managed to find a spot whereby we were protected from being blown anywhere we shouldn't have.

As @momoka says, it will be interesting what exactly happened and I guess we'll hear in the coming months.

I am a friend of Guy Edwardes and I know that he is, as you would expect, very upset by it.

It's still too soon to ask him questions about exactly what happened but I will see him next month in person and no doubt hear.

She really was an excellent photographer as her website illustrates and clearly loved to travel taking photographs.

R.I.P.

I am a friend of Guy Edwardes and I know that he is, as you would expect, very upset by it.

It's still too soon to ask him questions about exactly what happened but I will see him next month in person and no doubt hear.

She really was an excellent photographer as her website illustrates and clearly loved to travel taking photographs.

R.I.P.
Just to be clear and clarify things, I wasn't suggesting things like asking him but Guy has already said he will talk about what happened later.

I have already heard what had happened second-handed from someone who was there.

Very sad and tragic.

Just to be clear and clarify things, I wasn't suggesting things like asking him but Guy has already said he will talk about what happened later.

I have already heard what had happened second-handed from someone who was there.

Very sad and tragic.

.... Indeed very sad and tragic.

Sorry about the 'suggestions' aspect but I hadn't interpreted your earlier post to be making any suggestions.

As you say, Guy may talk about what happened exactly in due course. I would prefer to hear it firsthand next month if he wants to share.

Basically this very sad and tragic event is a heads-up for all of us who might take extra risks when after a great photograph. [Note to self : Highland Cattle can be extremely dangerous]

A very sad and tragic event

For those living locally to SW London - one of her clubs, the Richmond and Twickenham Photography Society, is holding its annual exhibition at the Landmark Arts Centre in Teddington. And as Agnes made such an impact in the club since she joined in 2016 the RTPS has dedicated panels as a tribute to her (one being her ARPS panel I believe - I just saw her images being hung this afternoon). Her loss is still deeply felt. I also feel for Guy and the other workshop participants.

Back