Photographers giving others a bad name

I started reading this thread hoping to relate to people and all it's done is reinforce my desire to avoid every other photographer i meet, as i have done for years :(
I dont ignore photographers, they're just a cross section of society, some can be arses and some are really helpful. I remember meeting a bunch at the Yorkshire Meet organised by Les, (RIP), a few years back and everyone was fantastic.

I had some prat twiticher walk through my mum's garden trying to get to the field where a Lesser Spotted ... something or other... was meant to be hiding in a little coppice ! By the time I saw him it was to late, so I closed all the gates behind him and let out our two large black Labradors, Their harmless but bark like a thunder storm, he had to wade across a small stream and probably a good mile walk to get back to the road. Now if he had knocked on the door and asked , I would have grabbed my my camera from the car and showed him a easy route to the woods , he didn't... his fault... I feel no remorse.. :)

As for streetpho .. I have this attitude now, if I was on holiday in Barcelona , and was snapping away at everyone and everything, no one would bat an eyelid, ... is it just the Brits that have a problem ? I have snapped away in Aus, NZ, Malaysia , Singapore, France, Germany.. most EU countrys and never had one problem. But I only photograph Babies and adults, I didn't use to mind age wise, until I had kids of my own, and one day a guy was photographing with a cheap camera in a shopping center and I sat there with my two daughters on a bench tucking into a Quarter pounder with chips. And noticed he was only taking shots of young boys, with adults .. my spider sense was tingling .. he looked like a normal guy. As we where leaving a saw a security guard near the exit so I told him what I had seen, he said , they where already on it and thanks.. and I left. After that I thought, nah not fair on the kids parents, it could cause them stress, and there's enough of that in the world already. That's just me , others have there own codes.

Some care is needed as the rules vary by country. Where I am based it's not straightforward. There's a good summary here:

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Country_specific_consent_requirements

I need to quantify that statement, I have never had any trouble in any country, yet I find myself a lot less "adventurous" in the UK for some reason... Also.. and I don't know if this is the common denominator, but I find I take my camera out a lot less for street /people pics in my own city than I do visiting another. Its almost like there is a relationship between distance from home, and what i shoot.. Living in the City for over 25 years I know a lot of great.. lesser known locations, where I like to photograph and which are my main focus.Away from the city I do like to try more people orientated shots.. could just be me.

Back