Photographers giving others a bad name

In my view you are pushing your luck and guess you do not really have much of an understanding of manners or the right to privacy

As far as I'm aware you're the only one on this thread so far that's admitted to an arrestable offence.

I said something very similar several years ago. Photography is and always has been an ideal hobby for those who don't want to play with others. Nothing wrong with that of course, but there's no denying it either. As such I often laugh at the behaviour of photographers who seem to lack any consideration for other people. I suspect it's why I hear so many photographers say they find people photography to be the hardest genre, they just don't have the people skills to make it work.

A bunch of socially awkward hobbyists at an aviation event. Sends a shiver down my spine.

This is exactly how I feel about railway events, model and full size, and why I tend to steer clear.

I can see where the OP is coming from with this view, I now try to void places where there are so many photographers as I feel I don't want to be one of the crowd rather than being social awkward, I happily talk to photographers and locals i meet. Its when there is a huge number of people I feel awkward. the deer rut at Richmond is one I avoid in favour of a photographically harder local deer park because of the sheer number of photographers, last year I saw a photograph of nearly 50 photographers all surrounding only a couple of stags. I don't really want to be one of several photographers taking exactly the same image. Like the OP I seem to notice photographers and their actions whilst out, whether that's because I just take more notice of photographers I'm not sure.

The other direction this thread has moved as its interesting to see the differing opinions of other photographers, especially photographers that do different genres to myself. Being a wildlife photographer where the ethics of wildlife photography is something thats highly valued, aspects such 'an animals welfare is more important than a photo' is strongly adhered to by most but sadly not all (usually these people are spoken to if another photographer is present). Sometimes I ask myself would I be somewhere if it wasn't for the camera, if the answer is the camera rather than experiencing the wildlife thats probably the day I need to think about giving up wildlife photography. The wildlife experience is currently more important for me, getting a good image is just a bonus.

I don't do street but I feel there should be some empathy towards the subject of a photo, if someone doesn't want their photo taken surely just apologise and move on, is a photo worth someone being upset or feeling harassed? There doesn't seem to be a need to get into an arguement with some just for the sake of a photo.

One of the easy ways to reduce the occurrence of the situations like the OP experienced would be for organisers to 'tap' into the photographers market. Would it be possible to add an extra morning on departure day where these type of images would be possible with no 'general public' access where there wouldn't need to be any confrontation between photographers and other visitors. I'm guessing they do 'photographer only stands' for the air displays.

Last edited:
One of the easy ways to reduce the occurrence of the situations like the OP experienced would be for organisers to 'tap' into the photographers market. Would it be possible to add an extra morning on departure day where these type of images would be possible with no 'general public' access where there wouldn't need to be any confrontation between photographers and other visitors. I'm guessing they do 'photographer only stands' for the air displays.

Good idea. Has the time come for event organizers to set some photography rules to avoid the situations the OP experienced? And Photography zone separate from the main crowd for the displays?

As far as I'm aware you're the only one on this thread so far that's admitted to an arrestable offence.

Who mentioned getting old bill involved apart from you, what's it got to do with manners and considering others feelings?

My view is that its not ok to potentially upset others just so that you can enjoy your own hobby, downright selfish attitude.

Who mentioned getting old bill involved apart from you, what's it got to do with manners and considering others feelings?

My view is that its not ok to potentially upset others just so that you can enjoy your own hobby, downright selfish attitude.

I have to agree with this - upsetting people for your own enjoyment is not really on.

Now I know I've twisted that a little - you obviously don't go out with the intention of causing upset, but from the perspective of the upset person, there's no difference.
I'll further caveat that in so far as there's 'snowflake upset' - which is really anger, and genuine upset bordering on distress. It's not too hard to sport the difference if you're a functioning human. I'm talking about the latter here.

If I ever took a photo for fun that caused someone genuine distress, I'd have no hesitation in deleting it. Absolutely none.

Gotta love these entitled photographer threads, they're a real eye opener, almost as good as the prima-donna wedding photographer posts.

I can't remember ever seeing / hearing a photographer being aggressive or shouting at anyone but I do remember being in a lovely church somewhere when a guy came in with a Canon DSLR complete with a massive lens and speedlight. He proceeded to fire away at everything and he emptied the church, everyone who had been looking and enjoying slowly left. I remember wondering if the guy was a complete "a" hole or if he was just oblivious, or maybe a bit of both.

My only issue with people being aggressive, rude and intimidating is more to do with middle aged women who glare at me and teenage boys who try to menace.

Last edited:
These are indeed more selfish and thoughtless times.
I'm not sure that they are. I think it's more that we are better able to communicate on a personal level via the internet, such as in this forum.

Fifty years ago there were people who were just as unpleasant as those described in the original post but there were fewer ways that we could communicate our opinions of them. Even so, letters would appear in the photographic press criticising the behaviour of other photographers, in very similar terms.

When I was a working photographer I occasionally ran into such people. I found that the best solution was to completely ignore them and get on with what I was there to do. It always worked for me. The one thing I would never do was to tell other people to get out of my field of view. Whether at a wedding or a press job it was completely counter productive.

When it comes to taking pictures of people in the street, the last thing I want is to be noticed by the subject. That completely destroys the picture, such as this (perhaps appropriate) example...

15720368447_36b13c07fe_b.jpg

You are banging on about manners and yet you committed common assault. Hypocrisy much?

You are banging on about manners and yet you committed common assault. Hypocrisy much?

News to me, where and when did this alleged assault occur.

Last edited:
One of those photographers with a suited up monkey was eyeing us up, I politely asked if the creature could swim upon which he left us alone

"Common assault is committed when a person intentionally or recklessly causes another to apprehend the immediate infliction of unlawful force."

"Common assault is committed when a person intentionally or recklessly causes another to apprehend the immediate infliction of unlawful force."

So enquiring whether a primate can swim is common assault?

Hello, that's a very nice monkey you have there, does it enjoy a dip in the briny?

I feel unlawful force is coming my way by your use of those words and I will be summoning a police constable forthwith

Oh no, I don't want to face the gallows for this heinous crime, when it pulls its finger out of its arse you can snap away at your hearts content and charge me an extortionate amount for a couple of s***ty photos.

But no, hang on there you have frightened my two year old daughter with that vicious beast and I will counter with my own complaint to the bobby.

Last edited:
You can squirm and b******t all you like, but at the end of the day you threatened someone with physical violence. How does that sit with your manners?

You can squirm and b******t all you like, but at the end of the day you threatened someone with physical violence. How does that sit with your manners?

No I didn't, you are a very strange individual and it concerns me that you can interpret dark humour as threatening physical violence.

For only the second time in eight years do I feel the need to ignore somebody on here.

Whether overt or framed as a passive-aggressive comment, a threat is still a threat.

You seem to have an inclination to resort to physical remedies:

Have to say being shouted at in an aggressive manner would have likely resulted in confrontation, very easy to topple off a stool.

Or is it just hot air and bravado?

No there is no law. The rest will be down to interpretation of intentions etc.
If you have been asked to stop by the person being photographed or it is obviously causing them distress but you carry on regardless, could that then be classed as harassment?

I started reading this thread hoping to relate to people and all it's done is reinforce my desire to avoid every other photographer i meet, as i have done for years :(

If you have been asked to stop by the person being photographed or it is obviously causing them distress but you carry on regardless, could that then be classed as harassment?

It would depend on circumstance.Obviously if you were waving a 600mm in their face, yes. But if you were photographing the park with a 24 mm and they were incidental to the photo probably not.

No I didn't, you are a very strange individual and it concerns me that you can interpret dark humour as threatening physical violence.
For only the second time in eight years do I feel the need to ignore somebody on here.

Whether overt or framed as a passive-aggressive comment, a threat is still a threat.
You seem to have an inclination to resort to physical remedies:
Or is it just hot air and bravado?

I think Python wrote it better

A man walks into a forum.
Man: Ah. I'd like to have an argument, please.
Receptionist: Certainly sir. Have you been here before?
Man: No, this is my first time.
Receptionist: I see. Well, do you want to have the full argument, or were you thinking of taking a course?
Man: Well, what would be the cost?
Receptionist: Well, It's one pound for a five minute argument, but only eight pounds for a course of ten.
Man: Well, I think it's probably best if I start with the one and then see how it goes from there, okay?
Receptionist: Fine. I'll see who's free at the moment.

(Pause)

Receptionist: Mr. DeBakey's free, but he's a little bit conciliatory. Ahh yes, Try the Weddings forum.
Man: Thank you. (Walks down the hall. Opens door to forum.)
Angry man: WHADDAYOU WANT?
Man: Well, Well, I was told outside that...
Angry man: DON'T GIVE ME THAT, YOU SNOTTY-FACED HEAP OF PARROT DROPPINGS!
Man: What?
A: SHUT YOUR FESTERING GOB, YOU TIT! YOUR TYPE MAKES ME PUKE! YOU VACUOUS TOFFEE-NOSED MALODOROUS PERVERT!!! YOU CAN'T EVEN EXPOSE THE BRIDES DRESS PROPERLY

M: Yes, but I came here for an argument!!
A: OH! Oh! I'm sorry! This is abuse!You've wandered into the Birding forum
M: Oh! Oh I see!
A: Aha! No, you want the Out Of Focus, next door.

M: Oh...Sorry...

A: Not at all!

2) We were sat at the front of the crowd line for the display, when the Red Arrows were taking off two young lads came up to the front and we made room to let them get at the front to see the take-off. Guy with a huge set up uses that as his opportunity to pretty much elbow past them and take up the space we had quite clearly made for them.
this has been driving me me nuts while watching for the bear cub at chester! as i'll spend a good time watching out for it, i'll let kids get to the front and look, but often, some big old selfish git will push in, even though they can see over everyone anyway. puts me off spending money on the activity if that is typical of the hobbyists

this has been driving me me nuts while watching for the bear cub at chester! as i'll spend a good time watching out for it, i'll let kids get to the front and look, but often, some big old selfish git will push in, even though they can see over everyone anyway. puts me off spending money on the activity if that is typical of the hobbyists

I think the people that act like this at events / days out probably go through their daily lives being selfish nobs, and never get confronted for it. If you push in front of young kids to get a better view you are a cock, simples :)

I use another (non-photography) forum where it wouldn't take five minutes! This place is very dull in comparison.:D

All sorts of people are inconsiderate to people pursuing the same hobby/pastime. Not just photographers. :(

It hasn't changed at all then! ;)

Photographers who blatantly trespass. I'm not taking about standing inside a gate or on the other side of a wall, I'm taking about the ones who walk 20 minutes in to someone else's land and then publish the photos/vlog about it.
Care to name and shame ?

Back