Beginner Photographing a brightly lit building at night.

Edit My Images
Yes
I want to photograph a car showroom that is very brightly lit internally from the outside at night. The building basically glass and the lights are left on at night. I also want to do some long exposure work to capture passing cars.

How would I go about doing this as a brightly lit building and long exposure seem to be contradictory.

Any help and advice would be welcome.

Try a low iso with ND filter or a polariser a small aperture should help with a long exposure time .
For the moving traffic.
It may even be worth bracketing the exposure.

Take a long exposure at dusk ? or slightly lighter?
Otherwise, as suggested, bracket your shots. Start at 1sec and speed it up ?

Then experiment with layers in gimp/photoshop.

Or have a search for the welding glass thread. Very cheap and worth it :)

I am assuming you want the showroom in the background, with light trails infront ? Don't suppose that there is any time when the lights are off ? Might be worth gettign the light trails at that time... otherwise they are likely to be lost in the brightness from the show window...

Filters can be purchased cheap enough off eBay.
Or you will be limited to low iso and small apertures for long exposures.
You could always blend two shots in post edit ie: photoshop.
I would suggest you go out with camera and tripod and try out for yourself make notes of your settings so you can cross reference with the results you get.

I would like the trails in front of the showroom, the showroom in question it lit 24/7.

I have never tried bracketing so i will have a read up.

141121607908 type that number into eBay search full set of sq nd filters with holder and adapter rings for less than £13

Last edited:
Back