Photographing at Anfield

Clearly states cameras arent allowed during warm ups, youve done the job of proving yourself wrong so we dont need to make the effort. :bonk:

Gary, you must have missed the first line of my last post. I've already conceded "warm ups are included".

James, completely understand where you are coming from. Went to a Carling Cup match once, pitch invader in the middle of the 2nd half, very annoyed...

Well this has turned from being hostile to being political, improvement :naughty:

I was staying out of this conversation but after that last statement...

It is all about money no ifs no buts. How are they possibly going to pay the players the ridiculous sums each week without total control? I do not go to the match now as I refuse to pay towards those wages. In the 70s and 80s I was in the cop every home game, I could afford to go. I was able to take my practica mtl3 in to the ground and everyone was happy for me to take photos. What’s changed? Sky broadcasting has that’s why the game is going to wrack and ruin.

Licences, yes Dataco, they do the job they are there to do, control professional photos and the sales of them. Just like Allsport sorry Getty images now. So with these licenses in place the control is there. No one that shouldn’t makes any money out of publishing photos. But to control someone in the stand taking a few photos for personal use is ridicules. Ok I could go in with 600mm. I would expect to get ollocked by the steward as I would be in the way of people watching the match and I think most people here would be in the category that you don’t want to be upsetting your fellow supporters at the match. I do not see any problem with taking a few photos for personal use as long as you’re not bugging your neighbours.

It’s all down to money and control of that money. Greed nothing more nothing less.

We need to fight against people/companies like this otherwise the freedom to take photos from public places will be stopped. I suppose you’re with the implementation section 44 thats just control and nothing to do with security of the country. If it was google earth wouldnt have been allowed to take photos of every road and building in the UK. Oh yeah thats right it was to make money.... See keeps cropping up the word greed.

And as for numpties that ask how you get on the side line for matches well don’t even bother about them as they know nothing they probably have to get someone to help them get dressed in the morning and switch the computer on.

Football is how it is, as has been said, the rules are the rules and have allowed football to remain (mostly) solvent even in these hard times, and has also protected the income of a lot of pro togs who would also be affected if there was a free for all. Just get over it, put the camera away and enjoy the game :)

Gary, you must have missed the first line of my last post. I've already conceded "warm ups are included".
I know, my initial reply was in answer to this
Don't know about Anfield, but at the Emirates they let people take pictures of the players during the warm up (mostly with P&S). I had a small m43 with 14-140 lens, and was told by the stewards (nicely) not to use it during play. .
And my point being is you commented on something you had no idea about, that is until you bothered to read the rules and regulations which proved you wrong. :bang:

Well said Dune.

Rules are rules, theres no 2 ways about it, fine. We want to see the match and if the billionaires won't allow us to watch it with the camera, theres no choice really, watching the match takes priority over taking photos for most of us here. But, a big BUT, rules need to be enforced, correctly. When member of staff/stewards aren't doing that, you create confusions. Hence seeing posts like "I've done this and that and was OK" (me included :() Part of the reason why this thread is so long. And yes, if the stewards keep stopping fans doing seeming harmless things it won't be very nice, but if you want to stick to the rules, like most here, you' have to be blunt.

Right, I am being "political' again :nuts:

Last edited:
I know, my initial reply was in answer to this

And my point being is you commented on something you had no idea about, that is until you bothered to read the rules and regulations which proved you wrong. :bang:

Gary, I thought what James posted was the actual rule (it might still be), which as pointed out had a loop hole regarding warm ups, (and coincide with 1st hand experience) thats why I took the effort to find out.

All clear now :LOL:

Last edited:
Well said Dune.

Rules are rules, theres no 2 ways about it, fine. We want to see the match and if the billionaires won't allow us to watch it with the camera, theres no choice really, watching the match takes priority over taking photos for most of us here. But, a big BUT, rules need to be enforced, correctly. When member of staff/stewards aren't doing that, you create confusions. Hence seeing posts like "I've done this and that and was OK" (me included :() Part of the reason why this thread is so long. And yes, if the stewards keep stopping fans doing this and that it won't be very nice, but if you want to stick to the rules, like most here, you' have to be blunt.

Right, I am being "political' again :nuts:

You are being political, but you're spot on. It doesn't do anyone any favours if the rules and regs aren't a) crystal clear (which they pretty much are) and b) followed by the match and stadium officials.

The Globe Theatre has it about right. At the beginning of each play an actor reminds the audience that no live or still pictures can be taken during the performance due to copyright/Equity regs; short, polite and effective.

Maybe that is a model that clubs could follow, and it would certainly clear up any confusion?

Football is how it is, as has been said, the rules are the rules and have allowed football to remain (mostly) solvent even in these hard times, and has also protected the income of a lot of pro togs who would also be affected if there was a free for all. Just get over it, put the camera away and enjoy the game :)

No the sky/premiership only keep the big clubs solvent, they dont care about the lower leagues. That is very unfortunate as thats the grass roots of the sport and very important.

As for not taking any photos: Most of us started in this game to presevre memories. 'Look heres where I went, this is what I did!' Personal photos are just that and the licencing thats in place protects the professional photographers to a limited extent.

I was chatting to a mate who was covering the Chelsea match the week before last. He was saying that even the pro photographers are now corraled to smaller areas so that they dont get in the way of Sky TV cams. So you have 40 plus photographers all stuck in one area and everyones taking the same pictures. Not how it used to be and hes been doning this for 30 plus years. So whos controlling who? I would say that its Sky controlling the FA.

Now look at motorsport. No you cant go in the press only areas so you cant get the great shots, but they dont stop you taking in good gear and taking pictures from public areas. In fact if you capture something good they will buy the photo off you without problem.

So anyway next time you go on holiday, say down to London, leave you camera behind. You might be accosted by a police man accusing you of wanting to blow up the Houses of Parliament or The Wheel just as you may be accused of trying to sell on photos of the game from a very poor veiw point. Same principle.

Last edited:
Just look at some of the threads we've had here in the past...usually on the lines of "I've bought a 550d and I was wondering how to get on the sidelines at old Trafford". The license system protects the clubs, photographers and ultimately the players since you are ensuring that the only people on the sidelines are people who need to be there, and who have appropriate insurance.

Surely they could then have a compromise. e.g. mobile phones ok.

That should then satisfy the majority who want a photo for FB.

They images would hardly be worth selling.

Fans are happy and no need for liability insurance either.

We do like to BAN anything we can in this country.

Gary, I thought what James posted was the actual rule (it might still be), which as pointed out had a loop hole regarding warm ups, (and coincide with 1st hand experience) thats why I took the effort to find out.

All clear now :LOL:
Theres no loophole regarding warm ups, youre not allowed to shoot them, wether or not a steward turns a blind eye or not doesnt change the rules one iota.

By the way, im not against or in favour of the rules, i would love to walk into Elland Road and snap away happily with a D3 and 400mm lens just to get pics of the players my son idolises for his own personal use but i fear it wouldnt stop anyone abusing the system so i would abide by them, begrudgingly.

if your not allowed to take a recording device.. ie camera.. into the stadium.. how can there be a loophole to shoot some bits and not the others.... the rules says no cameras in the stadium..

i think poeple should be allowed to take pics..I ahve with small point and shoot.. not bothered wiht the game but on a big occasion wiht the kids i have taken snaps of them in the ground... I dont see how it can impact on the pro shooters as anyone buying the pics (ie newspapers) can and will only buy from licence holders anyway...

Not so much the ground regulations and I don't know about Anfield but you may have more to worry about from other supporters. I've gone home and away with United for the last 26 years and can tell you that in most parts of Old Trafford, more so at aways, if you got a big DSLR with long lens out, you'd only have to spend the rest of the game trying to remove it from your bottom or picking up the shattered pieces from the floor.

I don't attend matches at Old Trafford anymore due to the Glazers and utter sh**ness of modern football, but I know that those who do, the proper supporters that is, can't abide the matchday experience at football grounds nowadays and the biggest complaint of all, is tourists taking pictures all game instead of getting behind the team.

None of this is of course directed at you, I'm just putting my two penneth in as I know the feeling amongst a lot of Liverpool's traditional support, is much the same. By all means take it and give it a go, but don't be surprised to get a bit of abuse if you do.

Last edited:
if your not allowed to take a recording device.. ie camera.. into the stadium.. how can there be a loophole to shoot some bits and not the others.... the rules says no cameras in the stadium..
And herin lies some confusion Tony, Dataco might not allow cameras into the stadium but Arsenal do, Arsenel dont allow photography while players are on the field but they do allow cameras in the ground, Maybe Dataco need to be speaking to Arsenal.

Quote from their website
Cameras/Video cameras
Cameras and video cameras are allowed to be brought into the Stadium but due to copyright laws they can not be used when players are on the pitch. This also includes the players warm up session.

And herin lies some confusion Tony, Dataco might not allow cameras into the stadium but Arsenal do,

eeerm its got nothing to do with dataco... its stadium rules that apply throughout the country... including non league football grounds that are nowt to do with dataco

and arsenal ground regulations say your nothttps://www.eticketing.co.uk/arsenal/site/assets/GroundRegulations.pdf

Last edited:
eeerm its got nothing to do with dataco... its stadium rules that apply throughout the country... including non league football grounds that are nowt to do with dataco

and arsenal ground regulations say your nothttps://www.eticketing.co.uk/arsenal/site/assets/GroundRegulations.pdf
This makes it even more confusing then Tony, this is a quote from section 25 of the link you provided
The Club reserves the right to make changes to any of the ground regulations set out in this document in its sole discretion. Any such changes will be notified to the public through the Club’s website (www.arsenal.com) and on display at the Ground.
And on Arsenals website it clearly says you can bring cameras into the ground if you dont use them while players are on the field http://www.arsenal.com/news/emirates-stadium-news/emirates-stadium-general-queries
So which is right :bang:

In believe that this thread is getting confused by 'out of focus' attempts at legal analysis by a bunch of photographers.

In my experience (Everton home and away - from the stands not pitch-side) the practicalities are as follows:

Whatever rules have been written down by various controlling bodies, no one seems to bother about people taking photos on a point and shoot, or an I-phone etc. If you keep an eye on the crowd during night matches on telly it is easy to see hundreds of flashes going off everywhere, and the stewards don't bother. That presumably is because recording memories like that doesn't cut across the spirit of the rule. That's not what the rules are there for.

If the equipment looks professional they will stop you using it, and/or stop you taking it in, so that is a risk. That is why the rule is in place. I did see on one ticket some time ago a demarcation rule saying that cameras with detachable lenses were considered to be professional equipment, and were not allowed in the stadium. that seems to me to be a sensible demarcation. Can't remember where it was though, although it might have been Wembley in 2009.

I did see on one ticket some time ago a demarcation rule saying that cameras with detachable lenses were considered to be professional equipment, and were not allowed in the stadium. that seems to me to be a sensible demarcation. Can't remember where it was though, although it might have been Wembley in 2009.
That seems to be a very sensible approach to the matter

It may say that but it isn't enforced
I think that is the point of this whole thread, they may or may not stop you taking a camera into a ground. Once in, they may or may not stop you taking pictures, of the warm up, or the game. They are within their rights to stop you at the gate. It is whether you want to take the risk of travelling to a game with your camera just to be turned away before entering the ground. :shrug:

Ive took my camera stuff into anfield loads of times never been asked any questions and will be taking it again for the match on Sunday Liverpool Vs Man Utd:)

Last edited:
Original poster asked if he would be likely to get his camera gear confiscated, I replied with I've took mine in lots and never been asked any questions topic missed? How?

Now I was wondering what are the rules in taking cameras into the stadium to get some shots of the players etc just for my personal album. I was thinking of taking my 1D3 with 135L and 1.4X tc, am i likely to get it confiscated or should i be ok to snap away :shrug:

Original poster asked if he would be likely to get his camera gear confiscated, I replied with I've took mine in lots and never been asked any questions topic missed? How?

His main question was "as above highlighted in red" and the rules are as people have said on here 'NO WAY PEDRO'.

I was there for the Europa game last week and the stewards were stopping everyone taking pics in the crowd. Even compacts with zooms were being stopped, steward said anything with a lens is not allowed. Mind you that didn't stop people taking them when his back was turned!

I was there for the Europa game last week and the stewards were stopping everyone taking pics in the crowd. Even compacts with zooms were being stopped, steward said anything with a lens is not allowed. Mind you that didn't stop people taking them when his back was turned!
:bang:

I think from now on anyone who ask's this question should be banned for LIFE!. :LOL: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

I think from now on anyone who ask's this question should be banned for LIFE!. :LOL: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Hmmmm well i'm quite an artist also, so would it be ok for me to take in my large A3 drawing pad and full set of graphite pencils and sketch the players?

Obvioulsy i'd only draw them during warm up, and these would be for my own personal use :whistle::exit:

Hmmmm well i'm quite an artist also, so would it be ok for me to take in my large A3 drawing pad and full set of graphite pencils and sketch the players?

Obvioulsy i'd only draw them during warm up, and these would be for my own personal use :whistle::exit:

Not as daft a question as you might initially imagine.

Remember Southampton earlier in the season?

P:LOL:M:LOL:S:LOL:L. Love it Phil.(y)

How longs it going to be before they ban mobile phones with cameras/video ??? :)

It would help pass the time I guess :naughty:

How longs it going to be before they ban mobile phones with cameras/video ??? :)

There's a quantum difference between using a mobile phone and a DSlr (or even a decent bridge/compact for that matter), as you well know otherwise you would use your mobile and not take along your 500D and 55-250.

Back