Photography round 6 - Black and white - closing date 11/09

Steep said:
petemc. Another fine example of black and white from CyKey, I didn't vote for it only because I knew who had shot it, he having posted other examples of this shot on another forum ;)

hehe doh :D Congrats to all that entered, it was quite tough to decide who to vote for. Only took me a week :D

Here's my PM to CT for my first three choices:

First: entry 17. When I first looked at the gallery thumbnails, this was the shot that instantly stood out for me mainly due to the subject matter. I love the subtle colour tone in this shot, the sense of brooding (which always works well with standing stones) and the depth of field in that the stones can be seen in their context. A great sky too, and overall a superb photograph.

Second: entry 14. A great capture of light in this photo with a good variety of textures suitable for black & white along with a fine composition.

Third: entry 15. Very good contrast for a somewhat unusual subject! The density of the background helps to accentuate the bear's eyes. Good textures too.

Good critique Steep, I must try to find time to do one, but I'm otherwise engaged for the rest of the evening. :beer:

Well done to everyone that entered making this a well supported round. The quality of entries was very high and I am really suprised that I won.

Thanks to everyone who voted for my photograph..the cheques are in the post ;)

Critique to follow...

cheers Steep, i didnt think about the foreground going one way and the hills at the bak going the other....i have made a note though.

Good critique, thanks

I almost forgot, thanks to CT for looking after this round...and doing a sterling job too :thumb:

In black and white the viewer’s attention is highlighted on things like focus, lighting and contrasts as there is no colour to smooth over a picture and hide or mask the tiny flaws. What is apparent as can been seen in the entries to this months competition is a good choice of subject is essential. Something with clean lines or a fair amount of texture while not becoming cluttered or confusing often carries much more impact and makes for a visually pleasing photo. The majority of the entries are technically well planned and processed photos but some really stand out due to their subject matter being much more suitable than others.

Everyone who has entered should be happy with their efforts and I have learned a lot from not just photographing my entry but from also studying everyone else’s during the writing of this critique.

As usual what follows is just my opinions on each shot and what I feel could be changed to make the picture better for me. There is no right or wrong and please don’t take anything personal if you disagree with any of my comments. All the critique below was written before the judging stage had been completed so again I have no idea which pictures belong to which members which I also feel offers you a fairer and more open opinion. :)

So without further ado here is my critique on the pictures.

Picture 1- This is a classic British view that is world famous, it has been captured with the lines from the bridge leading your eyes into the shot and onto the Houses of Parliament. The sky is big in terms of scale and impact. The black and white conversion has been handled well, I would have liked to see a little more detail under the bridge and it appears as though one or two of the highlights are just a tad blown out. Those two details aside overall it’s a strong competent entry which I like evry much.

Picture 2 – The problem with this shot for me is that it does not contain a real three dimensional feel and it leaves me looking at a flat picture. The subject is almost 90 degrees to the camera and totally vertical with nothing to lead the eyes into frame, the contrasts are very stark and the picture has got the highlights in the water blown by being over exposed. On a subject such as flowing water this is often a common fault that is very hard to correct, either you get the highlights exposed correctly and the shadow detail ends up being lost or you get the shadow detail and blown highlights. If you have Photoshop or PSP there are couple of tutorials that show how to combine two shots together to get one correctly exposed image, your other option is filters but for this scene they wouldn’t have helped. It’s a bold attempt at a difficult scene to get to work well in B&W.

Picture 3 – This is a subject that I considered shooting for this round, here it is shot well but I feel the contrast and levels could have been tweaked slightly to add more impact. Also for me I would have had the foreground in focus and the detail fading out towards the back of the frame, as it is presented here the foreground is out of focus and holds no detail to draw the eyes into the shot. As your subject is the paper article I would have tried to source something relevant to the theme to give it that extra twist, something on racists or a court case maybe to emphasise the black and white subject and add that extra twist? ;)

Picture 4 – Black person, white top, black pants..certainly fits the theme :) What you have here is essentially an action portrait and with portraits the aim is to focus the viewer on the subject. In this shot the background is clearly visible and somewhat distracting, especially the white clothing seen on the right. If possible this shot captured with a narrower depth of field to blur the background and remove the distractions would have been a far more powerful image. It’s not a weak image as it is I just feel it could have been improved.

Picture 5 – My entry, this shot is actually a full colour capture with minimum editing. It’s a result of setting up the glass of water on four pieces of black and white card and then adjusting the lighting until I got the contrast and reflections to look ok. It took a lot of experimentation and over 70 shots until I got the shot that I was happy with. I did attempt some cleaned and level adjusted versions but they just ended up looking like a computer created picture rather than the photograph I was aiming for. Looking back at it now I instantly see the line in the middle between the white and black card is not absolutely vertical…there is always room for improvement ;)

Picture 6 – The thing that is most noticeable is the amount of noise visible in the sky to the right of the lighthouse. This could have easily been removed/reduced by running the photo through one of the free noise reduction packages such as Noiseware or Neatimage, currently I find it quite distracting. I also feel that the picture would have benefited from having the verticals strengthened to stop the building on the right looking as though its about to fall over into the picture and finally by cloning out the cables running across the frame to clean up some of the clutter in the lower section. It is good to see that you have not framed the lighthouse in the centre of the picture and the one wispy cloud adds nicely to the balance of the picture.

Picture 7 – I expected some hay bail photos to appear for this round ;) Here the focus is on the hay bail in the upper third of the frame and you have correctly used the lines in the field to lead our eyes into the picture, unfortunately the chosen depth of field is not large enough to have the foreground in focus and that leaves much of the bottom third of the picture with no real content. I think you have framed the subject correctly and it would have been a much more powerful and appealing shot if the depth of field used had been larger.

Picture 8 – This is great shot that abides by the rule of thirds perfectly, you have good foreground interest leading into the middle ground and then finally the hills and the sky in the far distance. The shot is further complimented by the diagonal lines of the fields running in opposite directions across the photo. The whole picture is more grey than black and white though, and I feel this shot could be improved by a slight increase in contrast, a small tweak to the levels and then finally being run through a noise reduction package to clean up the sky. The combination of those steps would have brought out the best in this photo and really brought it to life.

Picture 9 – The basic rules have been followed here, using the path to lead you into the picture, having subject matter with texture but there is not enough contrast between the wall, the ferns behind it and the trees in the background which makes the picture over cluttered and the viewer struggle to see the whole scene. Instead of making the picture look 3 dimensional it appears very flat and busy. I am sure when viewed in colour the scene looks completely different due to the colours separating the sections and thus I would presume, makes it more pleasing. I think the subject rather than the processing is the weakest part of this shot

1/2

2/2

Picture 10 – the black and white conversion on this shot is really good, nothing is blown out and you have a good range from blacks through to whites. The subject also lends itself well to black and white with it having lots of different textures. I would have shot the picture from closer to the wall and looking more along its length to lead the viewer eyes through the photo, as it has been shot here it sort of splits the photo almost in the middle leaving us with three very distinct layers of the field, the wall and the sky rather than a scene that flows and includes all those elements.

Picture 11 – For me this shot stood out as being spot on for the theme and technically really well shot. Clearly it’s not a black and white picture as can be seen by the red key stop running across the frame but it does still scream black and white to the viewer. I like the angle this has been photographed from, the lighting is spot on causing no harsh shadows or distractions and the DOF used is also perfect for the photo. This is a very clean and well composed photo that really stands out and gives us all something to aim for in terms of impact. Definitely deserves to be first overall after my own entry ;)

Picture 12 – There is nothing much wrong with this shot but I would have preferred just a little more space to the left of his arm and elbow. The contrast and post production is spot on but I just don’t feel that the statue has enough impact as subject matter to make it stand out here amongst some stiff competition. The subject matter is weaker than the photograph, as a photograph there is not a great deal wrong.

Picture 13 – This is a great subject and a good deal of skill has been used to process the image. Unfortunately for me all the subject matter is over to the right hand side of the frame which has resulted in the left hand side being empty and the photo feeling imbalanced. There is nice use of the rule of thirds though, with the horizon falling on one third and the barn/building on another. If only that white cloud was in the left of the sky or that small clump of trees where peeping over the horizon on the left. ;) Unfortunately Mother Nature doesn’t plan for us photographers.

Picture 14 – Again another shot that has been well post processed to black and white. As a shot it is a little cluttered with no real focal point and would benefited from being taken at a lower angle so that we connect with the subject rather than feeling as though we are just looking down on a bunch of objects. Many of the subjects in this picture would have been ideal for a black and white picture in their own right but when photographed together they tend to distract rather than connect.

Picture 15 – Here is an original approach to the humble teddy, shot as portrait we are instantly drawn to the detail, the black and white emphasizes the texture of the fur while the totally black background removes any chance of distractions. It’s a stark and contrasting view giving us a totally different take on the humble teddy bear. My only minor complaint is that the picture as shown here is a little soft overall and would benefit from a small amount of sharpening.

Picture 16 – Another portrait only this time of a statue, again I feel the crop/framing is a little tight and the picture could have benefited from having more free space all around. The lighting is a little harsh causing stark shadows and highlights right on the limit, and the focus seems to be on the eye nearest to the camera but that is almost not visible. The far eye has distracting light through the lower half of it which is very noticeable due to it being on the bright side of his face. As I said with the critique of my entry I took over 70 photographs with different lighting until I was happy with the results, I think that the lighting here more than anything has let your shot down slightly.

Picture 17 – This shot I would expect to do well in the competition, technically once again it is well composed and processed but on my monitor it does have a slight green cast which is only visible when it is viewed along side the other entries. The use of the vignetting or “lomo” effect can often work well but for me it has been overused recently and I am little bored of it. Unfortunately this has worked against you with my votes for that reason alone which may seem a little unfair but rest assured it is totally personal on my part only. Like I say I will be very surprised if this shot doesn’t do well overall.

Picture 18 – generally the idea has potential, unfortunately the photograph is let down slightly by the black spot in the top right-hand quarter of frame (probably a small insect/bug?) and also the background has some foliage showing in the lower left, this is acceptable if more were visible around the subject but in this case I feel the levels should have been adjusted or it should have been cloned to totally remove the distraction. The main focal point seems to be the petal in the front but my eyes are drawn to the highlight near the edge. There seems no real focal point? Flowers are very difficult to photograph well in colour, when shot in black and white the attention to detail has to be almost obsessive and that is on top of a great shot to start with. This a very bold attempt that falls short for me, sorry.

Muchus grassy arses for the critiques :)

Knew that shot was the clear winner though. a well planned interpretation of the theme that oozed planning, thought and preparation.

Thanks for you comments Steve. My shot was taken hand held with the 50mm 1.4 wide open under normal room lighting. It still took a fair bit of post processing to get the deepest black and the cleanest white I could, which was the object of the excercise. I left the red key stop strip to enhance the black and white by comparison - that was my idea anyway.

I'm sure Steve Green wont mind me saying that he had a great idea with his newspaper shot, but fell into the classic trap of relying on the camera meter which will let you down every time with that much white and black in the shot, and just try to mix everything down to 17% grey which is basically what meters do. With some post processing and a good black and white instead of two shades of grey I'm sure his entry would have done much better.

well done Steve, and thanks for the critiques. :)

Congrats all and thanks for the critiques. I shall do my best to improve for the next round.

I am very sorry to all for not getting my vote in for this round. As well as my wifes birthday, our wedding anniversary, we also had a very good friends engagement party to attend. All of which kept me very busy and unfortunately it wasn't until after 9pm Sunday that I remembered about voting, by which time it was too late.
Sorry once again.
Ken.

no worries dude, it meant i came 4th instead of fifth!!!!!

I will post some critiques as soon as I get my network stable long enough to look at stuff.

Bloody wireless is a pain in the neck!

Thanks for the critque....

In fact I did shot some shots closer to and looking along the wall, but due lighting I did not feel that these where quite right.

Any one intrested, I think the shots in my gallery space.

Regards

KenCo1964 said:
I am very sorry to all for not getting my vote in for this round. As well as my wifes birthday, our wedding anniversary, we also had a very good friends engagement party to attend. All of which kept me very busy and unfortunately it wasn't until after 9pm Sunday that I remembered about voting, by which time it was too late.
Sorry once again.
Ken.

I'm glad it wasn't anything serious Ken. Knowing how keen you are, I felt sure some calamity had befallen you. :)

CT said:
I'm glad it wasn't anything serious Ken. Knowing how keen you are, I felt sure some calamity had befallen you. :)
Thanks CT, no calamities, everything just seemed to get wiped from my mind, what with the wife wanting to shop for outfits and presents etc. etc. etc. Just to busy to think.

thanks for comments Steve, i hate lanscapes as you well know, so getting positive comments on the image before the B&W treatment is encouraging, i need to work on the B&W now too though, lol

Thanks for the comments, critique and the 3 votes :banana:

My photo obviously didn't say what I wanted it to, Black and White as in newspaper, it's all down in Black and White............no? :ponders:

So, it's not only the interpretation that needs improving, but the technique too :LOL:

Thanks Steve :) I hadn't really noticed it was soft till you pointed it out. Bah :p

Thanks for the comments Steve.... as this was my first picture in a comp, and the fact that I don't have pro kit, I didn't expect it to get anywhere but here's the colour one at a slightly different angle(if anybody is interested).

Chris

Just to let you know that the new theme for the next round will be "Food and drink"

I will start a new thread when I get a minute.

Steve said:
Just to let you know that the new theme for the next round will be "Food and drink"

Excellent. Just the kick I needed to do this shot in my head :D

IanC_UK said:
Bloody ell CT i would have thought s*** wouldnt come into food or drink !!!! ;)

You don't eat curries then? :p

Steve said:

A subject very close to my heart :D

And my hips..and my stomach...and my thighs....

uggh, still life :( Or I could post the pic of our dog chasing a rabbit the other day :banana:

It doesn't have to be still life, you could do a photo of some fishermen landing their catch ;)

Again this is another wide open subject for all to intrepret as they see fit :)

Back