Photography round 6 - Black and white - closing date 11/09

Its not the winning that matters its improving from the help and advice you will recieve afterwards through the comments and critique that makes this competition so worthwhile and different to all the others.

Everyone who enters will win ;)

LoL. I just went through my pile of photos and there was a couple suitably themed photos, but unfortunately, badly shot. :p Now I'm trying to dream of something.

Don't forget guys that today is your last day for getting in submissions...have a try no matter what, you have nothing to lose :)

tomorrow is the 11th Steve, have you been driving DeLoreans over 88mph again??

Hehe, its these silly shifts that I am working I lose track of which day is which.

Well that gives everyone an extra day then ;)

Round 6 ends at 8pm this evening and all submitted images should be available for viewing and appraisal from a little after 8pm. There's still time for those last minute entries!

oooh, didn't realise the compo closed at 8pm! Glad I didn't decide to re-edit my photo! Only just managed to sneak in with a late entry at 7:45.

Now why does this remind me of doing my homework on the bus on the way to school in the morning?

LOL. OK - that's it. Competition is now closed for entries. Give me a few minutes and I'll put the pics up for viewing.

Entries are available for viewing here...

http://www.thephotographyforums.com/gallery/album77

Voting closes in 1 week at 8pm next Sunday. Voting for your own entry results in disqualification (I will be checking :nono:) Any entrant who doesn't vote will also be disqualified. Votes to be submitted to me via PM clearly showing the three pictures chosen and the order in which placed.

I will find it very difficult to choose three this time given the excellent standard of entries. Voting isn't a race - please give these pictures the serious consideration they deserve. :)

wow! 18 shots and all very good!

Thankyou to everyone who entered, this is NOT going to be easy to judge!

Christ there's some stiff competition this month. Marvelous work there by absolutely everyone, I don't envy you judges!

lol great minds think alike! EosD :)

Steep said:
Christ there's some stiff competition this month. Marvelous work there by absolutely everyone, I don't envy you judges!

Steep old buddy, YOU have to pick you best 3 and pm CT with your choice!

Steep said:

Everyone is a judge Steep. There's no judging panel here, you the members decide. Whether you've entered or not, you're still eligable to vote, in fact we want as many people to vote as possible. :)

Just a quick question about the voting sytem. Is the winner decided on a 'one point per vote' basis? or say does your vote for 1) get 5 points, 2) 3 points etc for example?

or is that a secret?

Sorry if it's been asked before but I was curious as ever.

Fair question gandhi. I'll be counting the votes and I'll probably do it on a very simple points system

3 points for a first place vote

2 points for a second place vote

1 point for a third place vote.

This will obviously show up a clear winner and 2nd and 3rd places when the points are totalled. If people are interested in how many votes they actually received rather than total points, then I can show that separately when the results are published.

EosD said:
Steep old buddy, YOU have to pick you best 3 and pm CT with your choice!

Oops! erm, I mean I knew that I was just testing you..ahem!

Steep said:
Oops! erm, I mean I knew that I was just testing you..ahem!
Your too used to 3 people doing it, you forgot that we have a different approach!:whistling

cheers for that ct. Was just one of those moments when you 'I wonder how?..........'

I think the standard of entries is very high this time. It'll be very hard to choose 3 out of those! And nice to see so many of them. What would you have done if all 285 members had entered? Now that would have been a logistical headache!

gandhi said:
What would you have done if all 285 members had entered? Now that would have been a logistical headache!

Feigned a heart attack and resigned! :LOL:

Just a gentle reminder that voting for the current Round 6 ends at 8pm this coming Sunday (18th September). Still plenty of time, but it's particularly important that those who've entered pics don't miss the deadline which means their entry is disqualfied.

It's a little disappointing that so far, those people voting seem to be mainly actual entrants, so whether you've entered the round or not please support the competition by submitting your votes to me via PM. :)

I have been looking at them again this morning. There is some great work there and because they are so different it makes it very hard to pick my best three. :ponders:

Everyone that have entered has done really well, the standard has really risen for this round :woot:

Steve said:
Everyone that have entered has done really well, the standard has really risen for this round :woot:

I absolutely agree Steve - it's so nice to see such a varied and high standard of work being submitted. :icon_cool

We just have 4 entrants who haven't voted yet!!!

Just 13 hours left to vote :)
or 12.5 if you feel like being picky.

There are only two entrants now who haven't voted and I've sent them both e-mail reminders. They're no doubt still struggling over their choices. :)

We have an unassailable landslide winner, but 2nd and 3rd places are within the grasp of a few entrants - it's VERY close, so those votes really count now!

Was a really tough choice to pick 3 but I managed to. Very good entries.

OK folks - the competition is closed. Give me a few minutes and I'll put the results up then put the entrants names under individual entries. :)

We have one excellent entry disqualified for not voting. :ponders:

1... milou...............................10 votes

2... McMav.............................0 votes

3... Steve Green......................3 votes

4... Gary Bagshawe................. 0 votes

5... Steve..............................32 votes :first:

6... Digital SPG...................... 16 votes :second:

7... dod............................... 3 votes

8....EosD............................... 0 votes

9....Chris B............................ 0 votes

10. JB Hammond.................... 4 votes

11..CT.................................. 14 votes :third:

12. Adrian.............................. 4 votes

13. Kenco1964........................13 votes (disqualified)

14. Marcel............................. 9 votes

15, petemc............................ 5 votes

16. Steep.............................. 8 votes

17. Gandhi............................. 11 votes

18. Joe T............................... 1 vote

Congratulations to all who entered, the standard was tremendous. :thumb:

Names are now under the entries here...

http://www.thephotographyforums.com/gallery/album77

well done to the top 3, spookily, thats the 3 i voted for!!!!in the right order!!!!!!!!!

excellent round with some top class images, well done to everyone

Great work everyone and a well deserved first place for Steve. My thought on the entries are below. Don't hit me! :)

milou. It reminds me of a B&W film from the 1950s, The day the earth cought fire? Very moody and dramatic with a good sense of depth. It lacks life though, not sure if that's what I mean exactly.

McMav. A very difficult situation, the contrast difference between the sunlit and shadowed areas makes it difficult to bring out the shadow detail without blowing out the highlights, I don't know that I could have done better.

Steve Green. I'm not sure about this one, the newspaper is 'old' and it's black & white but it doesn't inspire me or say particularly "B&W"

Gary Bagshawe. This came close to getting points, a nice attempt at double meaning, black and white photo of a black athlete in a white shirt but as with the waterfall shot I think the extremes of contrast have meant too much shadow detail is lost.

Steve. My 1st place choice, a perfect statement of B&W, clean, simple, very well executed. Do you really have a spotless house or did you spend hours in PS cloning out all the dust motes??

Digital SPG. Once again this shot nearly made my points list. The lighthouse is a great subject and very well captured but the messy wires and foreground spoils it a bit.

dod. I like the way the stalks lead you into the picture and the texture of it too, not enough of interest in it to raise it to points level against some of the other shots here.

EosD. A different working of the hay bale theme, a nice landscape shot but it makes me feel a little queasy with the field sloping left and the horizon sloping right.

ChrisB. I think a tighter shot of the wooden gate and wall would have made a better picture here, as it is there's no real focal point and the background is too busy.

JBHammond. There's a similar section of drystone wall near where I live that I've been unsuccsessfully trying to capture for years, you almost made it with this shot. Less grass and more wall is needed I think. It seems a little over processed too, the slight glow along the top edge of the wall.

CT. This shot is well exposed, it certainly says black and white and fits the theme but it's just not got enough of interest for me as a photograph.

Adrian. I laughed when I first looked at this pic :) Well shot, good subject but it didn't say black and white as loudly as some of the others.

Kenco1964. I'm a sucker for lonley building in landscape shots and this one is very nicely done, my 2nd place choice.

Marcel. Good interpretation of the theme I think but too much going, on my eye doesn't know where to settle if you know what I mean.

petemc. Another fine example of black and white from CyKey, I didn't vote for it only because I knew who had shot it, he having posted other examples of this shot on another forum ;)

gandhi. My third place choice, the eye is led nicely into the image and it has a dark mood about it, I like it.

Joe T. Another very well shot image. The close up of the rose has not worked well though I think it has ended up looking dirty here where in colour it would probably have shone.

Back