Photography Show

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,
I am contemplating going to the Photography show in March at the NEC, only recently started taking photography seriously but only as a hobby.
Only came across it in an advertisement, so I have no idea what to expect.
Is this show for professional photographers only or is it for any budding snapper.
Will there be any equipment to try out and test ( wanting one of the trinity, Nikon 200-500, Sigma 150-600, Tamron 150-600) and I would like to see all three.
Will there be a chance to purchase any equipment and will there be any kind of show discounts.
After paying entrance for 4 and £12 for parking, would I be better off stopping at home and putting it towards a new lens or is the visit worth it.
Thank you.

There is already a thread on this.

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/photography-show-2018.666700/#post-7999586

There are plenty of trade stands selling stuff. There are show discounts but whether they are any good depends on what they are. The NEC offers WiFi so you can check prices before buying. Manufacturers offer the opportunity to try lenses but it’s not exactly the best environment for testing anything other than handling them. It’s a good place get hands on with gear but if that’s all you plan to do you are missing out on getting the most from the show. By 4 do you mean bringing along family that aren’t into photography, if that’s the case it’s easy to get bored tramping about the NEC all day, especially if it’s all about looking at gear.

Thanks for the reply Rob, I did I try looking for another thread but I am not very good with the search function.
It does sound what I am looking for, just have to see if I can escape without the wife and muppets in tow.............
And still be allowed to purchase something. :)

it used to be called "Focus in Imaging" until the management changed a couple of years ago. .if you have never been before yes it is well worth spending a day there.getting their early before he crowds would be my advice. it is a great place to see the lastest whatever and also buy but I don't think show discounts are what they used to be, but nothing to stop you haggling over price. I would suggest you make a bee line for what you are interested in first then spend the rest of the time looking around. Some demonstrations you may have to pre book seats for as they get very popular, something you need to check on as I havn.t been for a few years..
Oh if you do go get your entrance tickets on line as there is usually a queue there and possibly a limit on numbers

Last edited:
There are also some interesting talks depending on your interests.

Sean I have sent you a message in conversations. Scroll down to bottom of article and save a bit of cash on entry fee

Last edited:
Howdy, new member here! I'm thinking about going to the show next month but don't know what to expect in regards to the amount of equipment on display. I have spent a few months investigating which compact system camera to purchase with a budget of £1000, and have had the chance to experiment with most of the cameras on my list in local camera stores. Unfortunately I have not been able to find the Canon EOS M5 anywhere and was hoping to maybe see it at The Photography Show next month. Is there much chance of this camera being on display and being able to use it?

I was also interested in looking some of the Sigma super-telephoto lenses, specifically the 150-600mm Contemporary, and was hoping to actually test them it on a camera? I could bring my Canon EOS 80D to attach to the lenses if that would be allowed. I'd also like another look at the Fujifilm X-T20 and Sony a6300, but since the a6300 is now discontinued I don't know what the chances of that would be.

Howdy, new member here! I'm thinking about going to the show next month but don't know what to expect in regards to the amount of equipment on display. I have spent a few months investigating which compact system camera to purchase with a budget of £1000, and have had the chance to experiment with most of the cameras on my list in local camera stores. Unfortunately I have not been able to find the Canon EOS M5 anywhere and was hoping to maybe see it at The Photography Show next month. Is there much chance of this camera being on display and being able to use it?

I was also interested in looking some of the Sigma super-telephoto lenses, specifically the 150-600mm Contemporary, and was hoping to actually test them it on a camera? I could bring my Canon EOS 80D to attach to the lenses if that would be allowed. I'd also like another look at the Fujifilm X-T20 and Sony a6300, but since the a6300 is now discontinued I don't know what the chances of that would be.
Canon usual have a big stand where you can try cameras/lenses. The sigma stand does let you try lenses on your camera if the mount type is available (you can even try out the 200-500 f2.8 anti tank lens too). Not sure about Fuji. I doubt sony would bring along a discontinued camera. One of the only good reasons to bring along a camera is to try lenses. Good to get an idea of handling, the lighting isn’t great so performance tests don’t really give you that much of an idea.

Canon usual have a big stand where you can try cameras/lenses. The sigma stand does let you try lenses on your camera if the mount type is available (you can even try out the 200-500 f2.8 anti tank lens too). Not sure about Fuji. I doubt sony would bring along a discontinued camera. One of the only good reasons to bring along a camera is to try lenses. Good to get an idea of handling, the lighting isn’t great so performance tests don’t really give you that much of an idea.
Thanks for that response, much appreciated. It's great to hear Sigma will have the lenses available to test at the show. I think they'll most likely bring a Canon-mount version of the 150-600mm along since that would surely be the most popular variant, I just hope there's the Contemporary version as well as the more expensive Sport model.

The reason I asked about the possibility of seeing the EOS M5 is because I fear Canon will just focus on showcasing their DSLR lineup. Hopefully that will not be the case as I don't know where else I'd be able to see one locally!

Thanks for that response, much appreciated. It's great to hear Sigma will have the lenses available to test at the show. I think they'll most likely bring a Canon-mount version of the 150-600mm along since that would surely be the most popular variant, I just hope there's the Contemporary version as well as the more expensive Sport model.

The reason I asked about the possibility of seeing the EOS M5 is because I fear Canon will just focus on showcasing their DSLR lineup. Hopefully that will not be the case as I don't know where else I'd be able to see one locally!
Sigma seem to have nearly all of their range in Nikon and canon mounts at the show from what I remember a few years back. Cant say if canon will have it or not but I cant see why not, their stand usually pretty big.

As far as the 2 specific items you mentioned, Yes they’ll be there.

Both Canon and Nikon have at least 1 if ‘all ‘ their models available usually, and it’d be naive to think Sigma wouldn’t have copies of alll their best selling lenses, in fact they may have multiple copies of many.

They’re busy stands though.

Sigma seem to have nearly all of their range in Nikon and canon mounts at the show from what I remember a few years back. Cant say if canon will have it or not but I cant see why not, their stand usually pretty big.

As far as the 2 specific items you mentioned, Yes they’ll be there.

Both Canon and Nikon have at least 1 if ‘all ‘ their models available usually, and it’d be naive to think Sigma wouldn’t have copies of alll their best selling lenses, in fact they may have multiple copies of many.

They’re busy stands though.

Many thanks for the replies. In that case I will probably book some tickets, I have a one of the discount codes already so that should save me a small amount. And even if all the items don't turn out to be there, I'm sure it will make for a decent day out. :)

I have an 80D and 150-600 Contemporary

The combination is absolutely superb and I have noticed a couple of used lenses on sale very cheap recently

Whilst very far from being an expert I believe the "bang for your buck" ratio is very high with this lens

Tony

I've made a last(ish) minute decision to go to the show this year. Would any of you guys be kind enough to let me have a discount code for entrance, please? TIA
Does SPKTPS18 still work?

To be quite honest I still haven't booked my tickets yet. I think the deadline for the discount codes is Thursday 15th. I'm having a hard time coming to a decision as I don't think that actual show will interest me that much. I'm just keen to have another look at some of the cameras, most notably the Canon EOS M5, Fujifilm X-T2 and X-T20, as well as the brand new Fuji X-H1 and Sony a7III. It'd also be nice to look at the Sigma lens line-up and experiment with them.

I believe the A7III is being introduced at £2000 which seems bad for UK customers since the price is $2000 (£1450) in the US. I was hoping it would be available from a grey-import site like Panamoz for considerably less than that. I may end up holding onto my EOS 80D for the time being until it drops down to something more affordable like £1200, although I could be waiting a while for that to happen?

The thing that worries me about the show are the queues to try out the new cameras. The A7III is surely going to be extremely popular with visitors. I don't like the idea of waiting 10 minutes to try it and then feeling harassed by people behind me to hurry up. Is that what it's going to be like? If so, I'd be better waiting for it to come into my local branch of London Camera Exchange and trying it there without causing an inconvenience to other people.

Last edited:
If so, I'd be better waiting for it to come into my local branch of London Camera Exchange and trying it there without causing an inconvenience to other people.

Orders are already shipping so presumably you'll be able to find them outside of TPS.

Back