Photos backup

Edit My Images
Yes
Good morning!

I am in a bit of a quandary, and despite a fair amount of googling, not really getting many answers. Therefore, I'm trusting the good people of this forum maybe able to shed a little light.

My photo library is quite large (from over the years) and is around 300gb or so. This only accounts for the actual images on my MacBook - I have nunebrous other hard drives that I need to get on top of.

My situation is that I'm currently paying for icloud (£8 a month ish) to back then up and have them accessible. I bought a time machine of a good man off here a while back with the intention of donloading all the images from icloud and popping then on that - 2TB plus the option to plug on an external hard drive making that wireless too. Saving me around £8 per month over a lifetime is quite a lot when considering this is purely for photos..Technical issues with my broadband speed and icloud mean that they're still not downloaded to my MacBook (512 ssd) but that's another story! The reason I'm giving you this details is because;

For my work Dropbox account, I think I get around 3 TB of space or so, and I want to utilize that instead of paying for iCloud storage. However, what would be the best way to "port" them over? I assume downloading them all into Photos is the first step, and then exporting the entire library (keeping the library structure) into the Dropbox folder, and then turning off selective sync So my MacBook doesn't have a heart attack when 3tb tries to install on 512gb.. does this make a bit of sense?

I have to say, severely disappointed with Time Machine - regularly refuses to connect wirelessly and such is my setup it would be tricky to have it all plugged in via the more reliable USB method.

Quandaries, quandaries!

300gb isn't that much think we are on about 13tb at the moment.

I wouldn't be relying on Dropbox long term.

Hmmm. I'll have a think, it might well be more than 200gb as lord are stuffed up in the cloud. I'll get there with downloading - gradually!!

Back