Photos in Saudi Arabia

Name
Matt Wardle
Edit My Images
No
Hi All,
Just joined the forum so this is my first post. Im looking for anyone who is living in Saudi Arabia or knows it well as Im moving there this month. I want to know what its like to take pics as i heard it can be very restrictive? Any info would be great.
Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt, there are a few members who know about SA, Wail is one he's Saudi born also a couple of members have worked in SA.
My fella goes to SA very shortly, he's working for BAE.
I'm sure one of them will have the knowledge you need when they come on. :)

Thanks
Its really quite hard to find out any information. Ive had really mixed reports about what i can and cant do, any help and pointers would be just wonderful!

Matt

My mum lives and works in Saudi. She has taken quite a few pics in markets, mainly street markets with animals, loads in the desert and then some just general more city shots in and around Riyadh. So far, she has been fine. But that's not to say I'd feel happy doing it.

Maybe take an extra couple of cards with you, smaller ones, that you will gladly give up to the Religious Police should they have a problem.

good idea!
I sold my 5D gear, lenses, bags etc and bought a Lumix G1 so I wont be so conspicuous! I was going to get a another leica but I dont think I would be able to get the film developed? Such a minefield!

I believe taking photos of the mosques is a big no no but people do sneak photos of them, I'm pretty sure military establishments are off the list too. ;)

good idea!
I sold my 5D gear, lenses, bags etc and bought a Lumix G1 so I wont be so conspicuous! I was going to get a another leica but I dont think I would be able to get the film developed? Such a minefield!

There are dozens of camera shops in the main SA cities and towns, pretty sure they do film too, there are expat photography clubs too.

Getting better ... might treat myself to that new Leica then! (dont tell my wife though, she thinks they are just old cameras)

:wave:

Welcome to the forum, mattwardle.

As it so happens, I am Saudi, born there, and have lived there almost 1/2 of my life.

Saudi Arabia is a very unique culture, as you will find out for yourself. There are too many "apparent" contradictions and you have to be ultra conservative.

Photos in public are, generally, frowned upon .. especially if you're male shooting in public where people frequent. However, you can do it, but you have to understand the customs of the people.

Saudis individuals give very high regards to their privacy and family's privacy. So, if you're going out to shoot in public, just be careful not to get any of the females in the pictures. As a matter of fact, try hard to avoid carrying your SLR in places where women would want to be walking about (you will find lots of places where women don't go, and where women do like to hang-out).

Religious police are the Vice-Police too, and they have a lot of say and authority. You never want to get on the wrong side of these individuals. If you see them coming, don't run away, don't turn away either .. that will make them suspicious of you (most of them are very weary of Westerners as it is, and you don't want to aggravate that any further). Just be calm, and see if they want to speak to you.

If they do, respond politely and in most likelihood you'll be off your way sooner than you realize. They can be friendly. If they want to confiscate something off of you, be calm about it and make sure that they know you're from UK (Saudi Government has a very high regards to individuals from US, UK, and a few other Western countries ... we try very hard not to upset people from these nations .. something for another thread, though). If they persist, tell them that you will gladly show them what's on the memory card, with you present, and that you will be happy to delete anything they find offensive (keep in mind, what you find offensive will always differ big time with what they find offensive). But, be agreeable .. please.

Regular police are, too, very weary .. but not of Westerners .. of anything out of the norm. You will see, once you are there, that people with cameras in public is not a common sight. Even though everyone will be carrying a mobile phone with a built-in camera, no one would dare use it in public (keep in mind that the authority did have mobile phones with built-in cameras banned, at the early stage of this technology, but only conceded when they realised that all phones would have this). SLR in public is not common at all.

I used to go out very early in the mornings to do my shootings, and found that the normal police were just always curious and then they leave me alone. There are wonderful things to shoot, very different from here.

As a matter of fact, I only had one incident with the police and photography, and that was up in a city called Taif. It's a mountenous city, and I was shooting off a cliff down a valley. Apparently, someone living down the valley saw me and notified the police, who came demanding that I pull out the roll and hand it to them (this was in 1985). I refused, and it got really nasty. In the end I was allowed to go only because they "sympathized" with my lack of culture knowledge even though I am a Saudi (it was a very close call that could have landed me in jail).

I believe taking photos of the mosques is a big no no but people do sneak photos of them, I'm pretty sure military establishments are off the list too. ;)

Actually, it is not that frowned upon just know what times you can go and do the shootings.

The only way to do that, is to get to know the imam of the mosque, and the guardian(s). Speak to them, get their permission and they will tell you when you can go and shoot and what you can shoot.

For sure, it's not acceptable to shoot when people are in there praying .. and never try to sneak a shot.

Just get the permissions from the imam and guardian(s) and make sure they are present when you shoot in case the police come in (to pray) and see you.

Wail, That is wonderful!
Thanks for taking the time out to write such a comprehensive reply. Im going to be living in Jeddah and I have been told by a friend living there that its not that bad, however I'm not wanting to get into any trouble at all! Its unfortunate that my love is street photography, looks like i will be getting into some landscape work then! Although it does seem restrictive im really looking forward to getting out to the Middle East, its seems such a unique place.

Thanks again for you advice and contribution. Its cleared allot up for me.

Cheers

Matt

Sounds like a mine field! lucky we live in an accepting place eh.. maybe we should tell then that we find it offensive and they should change things to suit us.. :shrug:

Worth a try?? maybe not.. :LOL:

a freind of ours spent 6 months out there looking after the Royal families kids! sonded a smashing place to go.. id love to, but the rules would ruin it for me.. :(

I did go during the First Gulf war, but spent all the time on a base.. then was out of the country.. didnt get to see the place with holiday eyes..

No worries at all.

Many have lived there, and have not liked the experience. I am sure you can dig out a few thread here that talk about Saudi Arabia.

Jeddah is a lot more cosmopolitan than the rest of Saudi Arabia, and you may well be happily surprised at the reaction you get. I lived there from 1990 until 2007 (when I moved back to UK). It's always changing, and I've heard that it's changed a lot in the past year, too.

If you are into street photography, you can still do that .. only there will not be much people in the streets for you to photograph, unless you go down-town. Because of the extreme temperature and humidity (Jeddah is way too humid, and it will shock you) the majority of shops are in huge "Americanised" malls (don't take your camera there to shoot). What you will find is that people go, by car, from one mall to the next .. hardly ever walk out in the open. So, streets - which are ultra huge - are mainly without pedestrians.

Jeddah also has one of the world's longest beach fronts. There are three (main one, up North called Abhur and in the South .. which is almost always empty). The two first ones are filled with 10s, if not 100s, of odd monuments. As a matter of fact, the whole city has all these weird and odd monuments scattered (they are not historical sights, more weird / odd art).

Anyways, you will discover the country for yourself; I just hope you enjoy it.

As for the rest of the Middle East, most countries are not as strict as Saudi. As a matter of fact, Gulf states (UAE, Kuwait, Qatar and Bahrain) are a lot less strict. Oman, too, also very tourist-friendly ... if you plan to go to these countries, I am sure you will find a lot of photo. opportunities there too.

Ooh, the difference between Dubai and Saudi Arabia is like night and day.

Not wanting to sound like I am putting one of the two down, but Dubai has moved to a more "open" society, much like Egypt. There are pubs, night clubs, discos and alcohol which can be freely consumed and purchased. Not so in Saudi Arabia.

Tourism in Dubai, like that of Egypt, is based on foreigners coming to enjoy the sun, the wonderful beaches and lifestyle that the country can offer. Tourism in Saudi Arabia is based purely on religious visits; so it's only as a Muslim can you apply for a tourist visa.

Where the two countries have similarities are in the language they speak, the main religion of the country, the formal dress-code for men & women, and the climate (heat and humidity).

No worries at all.

Many have lived there, and have not liked the experience. I am sure you can dig out a few thread here that talk about Saudi Arabia.

Jeddah is a lot more cosmopolitan than the rest of Saudi Arabia, and you may well be happily surprised at the reaction you get. I lived there from 1990 until 2007 (when I moved back to UK). It's always changing, and I've heard that it's changed a lot in the past year, too.

If you are into street photography, you can still do that .. only there will not be much people in the streets for you to photograph, unless you go down-town. Because of the extreme temperature and humidity (Jeddah is way too humid, and it will shock you) the majority of shops are in huge "Americanised" malls (don't take your camera there to shoot). What you will find is that people go, by car, from one mall to the next .. hardly ever walk out in the open. So, streets - which are ultra huge - are mainly without pedestrians.

Jeddah also has one of the world's longest beach fronts. There are three (main one, up North called Abhur and in the South .. which is almost always empty). The two first ones are filled with 10s, if not 100s, of odd monuments. As a matter of fact, the whole city has all these weird and odd monuments scattered (they are not historical sights, more weird / odd art).

Anyways, you will discover the country for yourself; I just hope you enjoy it.

As for the rest of the Middle East, most countries are not as strict as Saudi. As a matter of fact, Gulf states (UAE, Kuwait, Qatar and Bahrain) are a lot less strict. Oman, too, also very tourist-friendly ... if you plan to go to these countries, I am sure you will find a lot of photo. opportunities there too.

Thanks again,
Ive seen some of the very odd Art, not to my taste ;)
looks like the shopping will be good though.. Im actually going out to head up the brand side for the new King Abdullah Economic City being built to the north, its going to be about 3 times the size of Manhattan, hoping to do some huge landscape documentary stuff for the next few years of the build. Its changing a lot, maybe we will be able to freely take pics in the future!

Hey Matt :D

I know that David J Nightingale has been to Dubai a few times and got some awesome shots. Theres a photography conference that takes place out there each year. Joe McNally, Vincent Laforet, Strobist guy, etc all go out there and give talks. Not technically Saudi Arabia but close.

http://www.chromasia.com/iblog/archives/cat_dubai_uae.php

Blimey Pete, just had a look at the chromasia, want my canon back :(

I have been to Bahrain and Dubai several times, and have found both places extremely welcoming and friendly. Bahrain especially so.

Have taken many shots of the Burg Al Arab and surrounding area with no problem at all. When on the beach in Jameria [sp] though, I was asked not to take photo's.

PS: as Wail says... if you've not experienced real heat before... then you will certainly be suprised.

I remember some idiot US colleague telling me once that she would be fine when we traveled to Dubai for a business trip, as she had spent some time in a very hot and humid Flordia. How ignorant (and typically arrogant) that comment was.

Expect 48-52 deg c, oppressive, extremely humid, energy extracting heat if you are out in the summer sun. I went to the beach in the morning at 11:00, and ended up staying there for only 45 mins. Hot is not the word... and I've been to Death valley too...

I have been to Bahrain and Dubai several times, and have found both places extremely welcoming and friendly. Bahrain especially so.

Have taken many shots of the Burg Al Arab and surrounding area with no problem at all. When on the beach in Jameria [sp] though, I was asked not to take photo's.

Very true, but sadly not the case with Saudi Arabia. Not that Saudi Arabia is not a hospitable country, but when it comes to photography, it's a very thorny issue.

A big part of tourism is taking touristic shots for memory's sake, this builds the locals' acceptance to photography in public.

PS: as Wail says... if you've not experienced real heat before... then you will certainly be suprised.

I remember some idiot US colleague telling me once that she would be fine when we traveled to Dubai for a business trip, as she had spent some time in a very hot and humid Flordia. How ignorant (and typically arrogant) that comment was.

Expect 48-52 deg c, oppressive, extremely humid, energy extracting heat if you are out in the summer sun. I went to the beach in the morning at 11:00, and ended up staying there for only 45 mins. Hot is not the word... and I've been to Death valley too...

Yup, true its very hot! Ive been to Dubai a couple of times. On business once (fully suited and had to walk around in the midday sun!!!) and once took a hot-air ballon trip in the desert, got some amazing shots, stunning scenery.
I also went sailing off the beach, the water was so warm it was actually heating me up!

Back