Photoshop book?

Edit My Images
Yes
I have a copy of Scott Kelby's photoshop for photographers and it's really very good at showing you how to do many things. Now that's all well and good but it's kind of learning parrot fashion e.g. use this tool, click here, slide this slider this way etc. It teaches you HOW to do something.

Is there a book that will teach you about everything that photographers need to know in PS? Not so much "here is how to remove spots" or "how to colour correct an image" I want to learn WHY and the fundimentals behind doing things, starting from the basics to really advanced features and tools.

I use CS3 btw :)

I think the general consensus is that Scott Kelby tells you more about the how and Martin Evening more about the why. I certainly find Evening's books more of something to read just for the sake of learning about the process and the reasons behind it rather than it being a step-by-step guide to what to do.

I'd definitely say that this would be of great interest to you.

I use 'Photoshop CS3 for dummies', and it's pretty good. Not photography specific, but still very good. It's written by Peter Bauer, and Adobe Certified Expert (ACE lol) and is help desk director for the national association of photoshop professionals.

Thanks guys, I'll check out the book by Martin Evening it seems that it coulf be what I'm looking for.
The "Dummies" books are good too, I've used a number of them and got on well with the way they're laid out.
Cheers :)

I got the 'Dummies' book for CS3 and I have found it to be totally a waste of money. I guess what I wanted was a this is what this bit does and this is how you do it - Definately not within these pages. I wanted to blur a background for example, so looked in the index, found a few bits on background where it told me a bit about it, NO WHERE did it tell me how to do it.

For me a totally useless waste of a few quids:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Thanks for the extra ideas chaps. (y)

I appreciate that it may be a little tricky to grasp at times but I managed to grasp fourier transforms to work out vibrations at uni, it can't be as confusing as that :D

Back