Photoshop CC & Lightroom 5 $9.99/month Offer

I wonder if this is an indication that people haven't been very willing to join the cloud based version or just a good deal?

I was just about to start a thread on Creative Cloud.

Personally I like the idea of it, but the biggest turn-off for me is the non-perpetual licence - i.e. if you stop paying the subs, the software locks up and you are dead in the water.

What do you folk think of CC?

I was just about to start a thread on Creative Cloud.

Personally I like the idea of it, but the biggest turn-off for me is the non-perpetual licence - i.e. if you stop paying the subs, the software locks up and you are dead in the water.

What do you folk think of CC?

Personally I like it. I use Lightroom, Photoshop, Premier, After Effects, Acrobat and Dreamweaver on a regular basis. In the short term I get to spread that cost over a number of months. Long-term maybe it's not so cost effective but that is a hard one to gauge.

I don't like the perpetual licencing model. I still use CS3 and it's paid for many times over. I don't need the latest and greatest release.

£6 a month seems like peanuts given that I've just paid 10 times that for Lightroom alone this year. I'll sign up just before the deadline I think and maybe start using Photoshop again (last time I used it was when I actually worked in the printing industry and didn't have to pay for it!)

I was considering buying LR 5 vs the 4 I have now so that's about 10 months on this.
But yeah it's the old constantly paying for it year after year vs a one off pros/cons.

Well, their last time limited offer for CS3 and up owners was about 3X more expensive and reverted to full price after a year.

1. I'd be somewhat irked if I'd signed up to that.
2. Kind of gives you a clue what the uptake was.

If you are in the UK, you probably won't pay £6.00 a month. Based on Adobe's past pricing structures, you will be paying more than that.

Is there anything to stop me signing up on the US site using a credit card? But yeah, will probably be £9.99 otherwise :/

Is there anything to stop me signing up on the US site using a credit card? But yeah, will probably be £9.99 otherwise :/

I think if you try to input a UK address it will either stop you from buying or redirect you to a UK site.

From memory each regions site will only allow you to enter valid addresses for that region.

If you have a credit card registered to a US address you are laughing :)

I still don't like the wording 'offer', it implies you get hooked, they bump the price up and you're stuck on it. Might just buy LR5 as a standalone package and see how it all pans out in a year or so.

I still don't like the wording 'offer', it implies you get hooked, they bump the price up and you're stuck on it. Might just buy LR5 as a standalone package and see how it all pans out in a year or so.

They appear to claim that the 'offer' refers to the price between Sept 17th and December 31st. If you sign up after December 31st then you pay a different price. If you sign up under the offer, then cancel and sign up again then it is a different price, you don't get it for £7.14.

But you are right, I don't think there is anything in place to stop them doing what they want further down the line anyway.

On Adobe's uk website -

"Customers who have already joined a Creative Cloud Single App membership for Photoshop at the £7.14/month level (or corresponding local pricing matching the pricing provided in the question above) will be automatically transitioned to this new program when it ships in a few weeks, with the additional benefits and lower ongoing price."

Can't see any creative cloud single app, @ £7.14 per month, seems to be £17.58 + Vat.

If I don't have CS3 or higher, this would seem to suggest that you could take out a single app membership and then move over to the photography cc bundle.

Am I reading this correctly?

On Adobe's uk website -

"Customers who have already joined a Creative Cloud Single App membership for Photoshop at the £7.14/month level (or corresponding local pricing matching the pricing provided in the question above) will be automatically transitioned to this new program when it ships in a few weeks, with the additional benefits and lower ongoing price."

Can't see any creative cloud single app, @ £7.14 per month, seems to be £17.58 + Vat.

If I don't have CS3 or higher, this would seem to suggest that you could take out a single app membership and then move over to the photography cc bundle.

Am I reading this correctly?

Yes I think that is correct from what I understand.

Do you think they are having trouble getting people to sign up and leave them their bank details? I considered signing up but after they had a lot of people's details hacked, including mine, I doubt I will.

No doubt it has affected their decision. I'm on it anyway, so still thinks it's a good deal, but appreciate that people are nervous regarding the hack.

If they start to pay me, then maybe...
rolleyes.gif

Hi, Just my 2p's worth but I believe Adobe took the wrong road with this CC
I have both L/R 5 and P/S CS 6 and as a CS 6 user would rather have been offered the option of an upgrade with a one off payment.
I also think that many amateur photographers find enough functionality in Lightroom and maybe PSE together to supply there needs when it comes to PP
and of course as many no if you buy 5D III you get L/R 5 free I believe.
There are of course now other softwares available from companies who have since CC was announced stepped up there game and as well as updating and adding new options to there software put a lower price on it.
Russ

I could have been tempted on this as I have older versions of both, but when I looked into the T&C's it seems that after a year they can raise the price to whatever they want. Didn't want to take the risk of being stuck so I'll keep my older versions for the time being.

I could have been tempted on this as I have older versions of both, but when I looked into the T&C's it seems that after a year they can raise the price to whatever they want. Didn't want to take the risk of being stuck so I'll keep my older versions for the time being.

Adobe have stated that this is the ongoing price. No company, can make an endless committment, but I believe this price will remain static for a considerable amount of time.

After the hack, have Adobe made any kind of statement that indicates that they have sorted their security?

Last edited:

So take the deal and, if they jack the price up after a year, cancel and go back to your older versions.

After the hack, have Adobe made any kind of statement that indicates that they have sorted their security?

I'd be shocked if they haven't. In a way, this might be the best time to sign up. Their security is probably stronger than anyone else's no-w.

+1. I was going to sign up then sell my LR4 and PSE10 to recoup some of the costs, but now I might keep them incase the prevailing price in 12m is a lot higher. The agent I chatted with said photoshop alone was previously £17.59pm on CC and Lightroom was only available as a standalone program, so this deal is a huge price drop at £8.78pm for both. I guess that means adobe are either doing a big temporary promo to attract subscribers (and might well jack the price), or they have evolved their CC subscription model to go for lower cost higher volumes (and the price will stay broadly static). Impossible to know what will happen, but an upgrade licence for LR is like £50-60 alone every 12-18m, so £105 a year for full photoshop plus some other goodies does seems attractive.

Is this a sign that they are not getting the subscriber figures that they had targetted. Have they lost a load of subscribers because of the hack and they are trying t top up?

I can see the next stage being dropping the 'current' £17.59 price or extending the £8.78 offer at a later date.

I was absolutely fuming about this. I was a single app subscriber at £17.58 and I h ad a full version of LR4, boxed etc. I upgraded my OSX to the new Mavericks and 4 is not fully compatible. Then I see this offer for both products at such a low price!!

Just rang adobe and for a change, the girl was very helpful and simply cancelled my single app plan, despite me only signing up on 1st September. :)

I was absolutely fuming about this. I was a single app subscriber at £17.58 and I h ad a full version of LR4, boxed etc. I upgraded my OSX to the new Mavericks and 4 is not fully compatible. Then I see this offer for both products at such a low price!!

Just rang adobe and for a change, the girl was very helpful and simply cancelled my single app plan, despite me only signing up on 1st September. :)
Well the official line when the £8.78 offer was introduced was to allow users to switch over.

Back