Photoshop Saving with/out layers

R

RobbieW

Hi

This is probably very obvious to most people, but...

1) when you have a PS images with several layers, if you want to save it as a JPG is it best to select save for web, or to flatten the layers first, or select merge down or merge visable?

2) When saving TIFF I have various options, relating to Image and Layer Compressions whats best?

Thanks

Rob

The way I work is to save an original layered version, then once happy, flatten the whole lot then do your saving to where/whatever :) Then once your happy all round flatten the layered version again and keep as high res original.

I always save my Photoshop (psd) file with all layers intact. Then I flatten the layers and sharpen & add a border if I want one and save as a TIFF. Then I resize and downsample to 72dpi and save a lo res jpg

2) When saving TIFF I have various options, relating to Image and Layer Compressions whats best?

To be safe I choose no compression. At least you know that you are getting the highest quality possible.

Only other thing to add is that "save to web" strips out your exif data where "Save as" doesn't.

I save all my processed shots as full size, layered TIFFs, with no compression.
It means a standard 1 layer shot from my 30D, without cropping is about 48 meg in filesize, but I live by the mantra, mistakes are costly, space is cheap.

I know at least this way, should I ever find out my monitor is hugely in need of calibration, or as I get much better at processing (this has happened a few times,.....) where I can go back and re-edit every single step of my shot, from all the adjustments made. Peace of mind really.

As for saving as a JPEG, I think when you save to a JPEG it flattens it for you anyway, although if youre creating an action, it might be wise to just flatten the layers.

Thanks for the tips and advice, I like this photography thing that we do, means you get to learn new things every day :)

As said before... I save as PSD with all the info intact. TIFF is OK too, but tends to be bigger for no gain, except that other tools than PS will read it.

I JPG only for web and posting on CD's to peeps.

To be safe I choose no compression. At least you know that you are getting the highest quality possible.

LZW compression (the standard way of compressing a TIFF file) is actually a lossless compression algorithm, so you can use it with no loss of quality ;)

Back