Picked up my new camera today....a GF1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant see that it has acually done anything there to be honest, Barbara! :)

try something with a further away background. what aperture did you use for that btw?

Out of interest is anyone actually using a micro 4/3 camera with just manual focus lenses?

I cant see that it has acually done anything there to be honest, Barbara! :)

try something with a further away background. what aperture did you use for that btw?

I used 1.7, but the test I did was to use the mirror to get the DOF. The reflection in the mirror was the DOF test. I just thought it was a more interesting way of doing it than the obvious.

Out of interest is anyone actually using a micro 4/3 camera with just manual focus lenses?

I did have loads but had to sell. All I have left is a Helios 55/2 which is worth diddly squat! :D

I used 1.7, but the test I did was to use the mirror to get the DOF. The reflection in the mirror was the DOF test. I just thought it was a more interesting way of doing it than the obvious.

Good thinking, Batwoman!! :D

Good thinking, Batwoman!! :D

I have now after experimentation found the downside with Peripheral Defocus. It doesn't allow you to choose your own Aperture. It's 1.7 or nothing on the Pancake lens. I hate control freaks, so I am going to stick to Aperture Priority.:puke:

I'm just trying to find somewhere to host my rubbish test photos on as I don't really want to put them on my Flickr site.

I did have loads but had to sell. All I have left is a Helios 55/2 which is worth diddly squat! :D

I'm just wondering how these would handle, given not only the manual focusing but also the usefulness of the field of view. For example take some classic Nikkor options:

20mm - 40mm FOV
35mm - 75mm FOV
50mm - 100mm FOV
85mm - 170mm FOV

Haven't looked at this much to be honest, might have even been answered previously...

I'm just trying to find somewhere to host my rubbish test photos on as I don't really want to put them on my Flickr site.

host them on flickr but before you publish check the box that says private. then you can see but no one else sees them when they look on your flickr (y)

Just found out that you can't remove the card from the camera unless you remove the Manfrotto QR plate first.

If it's one of the small ones, try rotating the plate 90 degrees. It'll stick out under the lens but might allow the doors to open -- works on the G1 and some compacts that have the same problem.

I'm just wondering how these would handle, given not only the manual focusing but also the usefulness of the field of view. For example take some classic Nikkor options:

20mm - 40mm FOV
35mm - 75mm FOV
50mm - 100mm FOV
85mm - 170mm FOV

Haven't looked at this much to be honest, might have even been answered previously...

Don't forget the adapter will stick out a fair bit. If you're looking for lenses have a look at the Leica mount ones (LTM or M) as the adapter is much thiner and there are some small lenses as well.

For LTM lenses you'll need an LTM to M adapter as well but these are flat rings.

Last edited:

20mm - 40mm FOV
35mm - 75mm FOV
50mm - 100mm FOV
85mm - 170mm FOV

It all depends on what you shoot. Wildlife I would go for 85mm or more, Street for me would be 20mm, 35mm or 50mm if you want to keep out the way.

The 20mm will probably do 70% of what I need, the rest will have to be done with the Helios for now :)

Another try out of DOF with 20mm lens.
I used f2.8 on this one, using aperture mode.

20100910-P1000203.JPG

At last I've managed to find out how to use Picasa so that I can upload my test photos, save using up my Flickr allocation.

If anyone wants to know this is how:
  1. In Picasa click on photo
  2. Chose share, link to photo
  3. Tick image only no link
  4. select size
  5. Copy link from embed image box
  6. Click image (little envelope) in TP
  7. Delete http: in dialog box

I took this with the 20mm at f1.7.The focus point is half way along the first step.

P1010623c.jpg

Still trying to justify a 20mm lens, but thought I would post one from today taken with my 14-45. Went for a walk around Canterbury while Mrs Allanm got herself a short back and sides at the barbers.

Light was very flat with lots of white cloud, this one was at 35mm
4980683578_618585aa9b_z.jpg

Allan

Nice pic Alanm.....yes the 14-45 is a cracking lens.....I sometimes think like you but I do like the 20mm

Fantastic shot Barbara.

Still trying to justify a 20mm lens, but thought I would post one from today taken with my 14-45. Went for a walk around Canterbury while Mrs Allanm got herself a short back and sides at the barbers.

Allan

Great shot, Allan. You cant do much about the sky, but the exposure, colour, sharpness, all fantastic (y)

Recently back from a weekend in Wales. A gloomy Cadair Idris followed by a sunny Aberdyfi. Took a few piccies with the GF1/14-45 combo and pleased with how they came out. Lots of lovely detail.

4983320337_f2ba152b51_o.jpg

4983286247_7a4eb1dddd_o.jpg

4983131323_c5d6ecc85b_o.jpg

4983728710_5cc1e436ef_o.jpg

Nice pics everyone. I've not posted any for a while so here goes - still addicted to silly processing in LR though, please someone stop me!

4983978490_f5a265a86e_b.jpg

4983976856_7a433360c6_b.jpg

4983377823_3179bd2b72_b.jpg

4983354733_a16c960aae_b.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, some lovely images being posted.
I have a feeling I will be getting a 20mm soon and the more I use this camera, the less I use my DSLR, which means if I sell it I will be losing my 70-300mm lens too, but on the up side, I can get a 45-200 for the GF1.
I have a feeling that the EVF ( more money!) would also be useful with the long zoom. Does anyone use the 45-200 with or without the EVF?
Allan

Long Time No See Grum !!...Welcome back

Love the pic of the Biker....the little lad on right of the pic is more interested in you taking the pic.

In fact nice pics all round guys !

Last edited:

Allan

Nice composition Allan, and it looked like a very nice walk. Shame about the sky, but that's just nature. I find the 14-45 a very nice lens and I think it's my favourite for walkabout, though the 20mm is nice if you just want to put the camera in a big pocket, or in low light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back