Places to visit and photograph in the UK

Off topic slightly- but I am working with a friend on getting a website together of places to visit to take pictures. Hoping to launch it end of this month/start of next. Will update when I know further!!

There is an interesting place next to Lochness lake called Boleskine house and an old cemetery, great location for someone interested in Aleister Crowley's life.

Orkney islands;
Pretty much anywhere on the main island (especially Stromness and the west mainland, not that i'm biased at all LOL!)

Also i one of my favourite place is Rackwick on Hoy where you can get a boat from Stromness (if your walking or cycling) there will be a mini bus to take you to Rackwick from the ferry and can be dropped of anywhere on route if you wish or if your taking a car Houton ferry. Hoy has One heck of a gorgeous beach, a walk/hike to The old man of Hoy; on the walk you'll pass a lovely little stream with a little waterfall, The Dwarfie Stone which is on route to rackwick.

Also a couple of the other isles Westray and Sandy where you can get a ferry from kirkwall.

Gauntlet Birds of Prey Eagle & Vulture Park near Knutsford, Cheshire.

Open 7 days per week March - October 11am - 5pm
November - February Weekends Only, 11am - 4.30pm

Not a full day but the displays and ease of access to most of the birds make it worth the £4.75

I went today and there were only about eight or ten people there. Flying displays included and feeding birds too.

bird.jpg

I'd love to tell you what this is, but I lost my little notebook :(

North London | Multimap
(Submitted by hashcake)
Where : Trent country park | Website
Price : NA
Parking : Free
Food/Drink/Toilets : Onsite
Photograph opportunities : People, architecture, greenspace, wildlife

Where : Highgate wood | Website
Parking : Free
Food/Drink/Toilets : Onsite
Photograph opportunities : People, greenspace, wildlife

Where : Kendwood House | Website & Hampstead Heath | Website
Price : Free entrance to the house
Parking : Pay and display
Food/Drink/Toilets : Cafe at Kenwood and another wood on the Heath (next to the bandstand)
Photograph opportunities : Architecture, People, greenspace, cityscapes, wildlife

Where :Highgate Cemetery | Website
Price : N/A
Parking : Pay and display in the local area
Food/Drink/Toilets : N/A
Photograph opportunities : HDR

Where : Darlands nature reserve | Website
Parking : free
Food/Drink/Toilets : NA (Local pub The Orange Tree)
Photograph opportunities : Green space & Wildlife

We have quite a few decent parks and some have wood / nature reserves adjoining them, can add these as well?

Last edited:
SCOTLAND
Also on Isle of Skye:
Elgol - not to be missed for sunsets over Cuillin Mountains.
Neist Lighthouse
Sligachan - Lovely old bridge with Cuillins as a backdrop.
Portree Harbour. - Colourful cottages
Glen Brittle. Beautiful scenery with mountains and waterfalls. The fairy pools walk is not to be missed. http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/fairypools.shtml
Tokavaig on the Sleat peninsula is great for sunsets.
Realistically, the only practical way to see all of Skye is by car.
If you go during the summer months, I would recommend a midge net such as http://www.midgie.net/ otherwise it can be a very unpleasant experience!

SCOTLAND
Bealach na Ba (Pass of the Cattle). Situated on the mainland just north of Kyle of Lochalsh. Claimed to be the highest road in Britain. The scenery from the top is nothing short of spectacular. The road itself is not for those of a nervous disposition and is invariably closed in the winter due to snow. There is a circular route going over the pass and following the Applecross coast line with great views everywhere. Keep an eye out for Red deer on the way up. At the northern end of the coast road there are lovely views of Loch Shieldaig. Again, travel will need to be by car. There is a nice pub at Applecross and toilets there and at Shieldaig.
Further up the coast there are the Torridon mountains. There is a coastal road leading to Lower Diabaig. This runs alongside Loch Upper Torridon where otters can be seen with luck. We managed to video an otter playing in the weed for about 10 minutes. The views at higher elevations look across to Applecross peninsula with it rugged mountains.

Last edited:
SCOTLAND
Continuing north you come to Loch Maree, the 4th largest freshwater loch in Scotland. Fabulous views can be had along the road and at Slattadale where there is a track down to the loch, where you can park. Toilets are available there.

Kenilworth castle is worth a visit if your ever in warwickshire , its an English heritage run site so very resonable price to get in , also its free to ramble round the outside which in my opinion is better for Photographing from close up or from distance.

South West England

Isle of Purbeck/Jurassic coast.
Where: Just west of Poole
Access: Chain ferry over at sandbanks (£3.20 I think. Each way) or drive long way round and access through Wareham.
Parking: Mostly free, check Os map for big blue letter P's.
Particular Spots:
Corfe Castle,
Lulworth cove,
Tyneham Village (an empty village now, was depopulated during wartime and they never went back)
Mupe bay, Kimmeridge, Chapmans Pool, St Aldhelm Head(tiny square chapel perched atop the head), Old Harry Rocks near studland( 1 or 2 mile walk required form Studland. Bankes Arms awaits you on your return though), anywhere along the coast really.
Durlston country park for butterflies in summer (Adonis blues) and other wildlife, orchids, coastal scenery etc. Parking is about £3 or £4 for an afternoon or morning I believe. Visitor centre with café, toilets and books and knick knacks. Seabird colony April to June with guillemots and razorbills nesting.
Swanage town. Very busy in grockle season but a lovely little village. The old pier there gets photo'd a lot.
Quite a few characterful small villages also.

You are also handy for Bovington tank museum and Monkey World once you get in the vicinity.
Note: Access to some area and coastline of the Purbecks can be restricted during the week and on some weekends due the army having a live firing range on it.

HTH

this is a great thread, hopefully I'll get round to posting some ideas in the next few days....

Slightly biased, as I live here, but Isle of Skye is ridiculously photogenic. A short list of highlights with grid references:

1. Sgurr na Banachdich - midway on the Cuillin range, amazing views in every direction NG 44013, 22477. Slightly hard to get to, but while you're there, pay a visit to Sgurr Dearg for the In Pin at NG 44373, 21607
2. Storr and Old Man of Storr. Anywhere around here, NG 50063, 54487 is particularly good. And seen on most Skye postcards. Go to the top of Storr itself NG 49513, 54067, for views of most of Skye
3. Quiraing. Popular spot just off the road at NG 43973, 67926
4. Elgol. Another postcard classic. NG 51569, 13587
5. Loch Coruisk. Get the boat while in Elgol, amazing approach to this spectacular place NG 48899, 19697

There are of course many more, I still have loads left to cover!

Calling North Yorkshire bods

Ok, next Sunday I am off up to Catterick for 4 days to spend some time with a friend and fellow photographer. Already got Jervaulx Abbey on the list thanks to Woadrage, and probably a sunrise at Whitby [weather permitting], but anyone got any more ideas in say a 40 mile radius of Catterick?? She has only just moved to the area, so is nearly as much in the dark as I am, so any ideas or pointers would be much appreciated. ;)

Fountains Abbey near Ripon is a good place - see national trust website. Aysgarth Falls aren't too far away - they are quite dramatic a t the moment with all the rain we have had - google them for some ideas of photos taken in the past - 3 falls altogether which also make a nice walk. Saltburn isn't as far as going to Whitby and there is the old pier and cliff tram

Richmond is very near Catterick and has a marvellous castle. Check out the waterfalls on the river - very spectacular. The walk along the river is superb but be prepared to take all afternoon.

South West.

Teignmouth Back River Beach - free entry not counting the very likely pint of beer you are going to buy from one of the two pubs that sit on it.... Great at sunset.
Paignton Zoo
Dartmoor Wildlife park (inspiration for movie --- we bought a zoo)

South East England

Swanbourne Lake, Mill Road in Arundel, West Sussex.

Parking is free although limited, and if it's full there is a pay car park 10 minutes walk away.
Entrance is free, plus there is a cafe there - But bring some 20p and 10p pieces with you as they charge 30p (or 20p maybe) for the loo!

It's the most amazing place for bird photography. There is a WWT wetlands place just down the road, and many of the exotic birds fly over and hang out by the lake. There are many common species like Mallards too and they're very active.
The lake is mostly surrounded by hills and trees, which blocks any views of buildings, and the light is great there at the right time of day.
I suggest going there as early in the day as possible for the best light, as once the sun has moved around it's harder to obtain decent photos.
The whole area including Arundel town has some of the best photo opportunities around, from old buildings, wildlife, some lovely countryside and several cows fields! Who isn't into photographing cows, right?

West Wales / Pembrokeshire

You are spoilt for choice really - but all these in particular are worth a look -

St Davids Catherdral - architectural gem in the UK's smallest city

Barafundle beach - not accessible by car - so often very quiet - often cited asthe best in the UK- even features in some Top 10 lists of best in the world.

Bosherston Lilly Ponds and the Stackpole Estate - best in July for the lilies - but often very busy

Skomer Island (puffins in late spring & early summer) - need to book the official boat - and compulsory landing fees quite pricey - unique place though

Tenby - probably the most attractive (& photographed) seaside resort in Wales

Porthgain - fishing village with old industrial architecture

Strumble Head - rugged coast and lighthouse

Pembroke Castle - already mentioned above - again gets quite busy

Carew Castle and Tidal Mill

Anywhere on the coastal path - especially in spring for the swathes of wild flowers

Gwaun Valley and Preseli Hills - stepping back in time

Lower Fishguard

Solva harbour

Cleddau Estuary - especially Lawrenny / Benton Castle / Blackpool Mill

Sorry - no links - but are all easy to look up on Google!

Public transport? - Nowhere in Pembrokeshire is really easy to reach without a car - although coastal shuttle buses run daily in Summer.

My two favorite spots are

Soust East

Brands Hatch Race Circuit, Fawkham, Longfield, Kent DA3 8NG

Prices vary from nothing (on some practice days) upwards but never massive amounts.
What will you see. All types of motorsport including bikes, sidecars, cars old and new and trucks.
Indy and Grand prix circuits both offer great opportunities
Information on their website http://www.brandshatch.co.uk/
Location it is just 3 miles off the M25 jn 3
Lots of facilities, parking and you can take a picnic
No dogs!!!
Season now coming to an end but truck racing and fireworks on this weekend.
There is usually something on most weekends out of the winter months.

London

Bushy Park, Hampton, Middx, TW12 2EJ

Large walled Royal Park of 1100 acres
What will you see. Red and Fallow deer, Grey Heron, lots of assorted ducks, and geese. Dragonflies and other insects. Squirrels, parakeets and loads of other birds. If you are lucky little owls, kestrels and kingfishers. Oh and some big fish in the stream between the two main lakes.
There are also great landscape opportunities with misty mornings and evening sunsets over the various ponds. Also good for candid portraits.
Wooded walks and open space.
Kids can ride bikes and there is a play park.
FREE parking and entry although it does get busy at weekends, check website for opening times as they vary throughout the year.
Website https://www.royalparks.org.uk/parks/bushy-park
There are a couple of places to buy food and drinks.

Hampton Court Palace and the river Thames are also very close.

Midlands
A National Trust property called Charlecote House and Deer Park is worth a visit.
Interesting house and park with ties to Shakespeare, and there's always plenty of deer to photograph in the park.
More difficult to get close to the deer when the rut is on.

Audley End house, Saffron Walden, Essex

Lovely house with a lake, gardens, various features to photograph within lots of open ground.
Frequent special events offering additional photographic opportunities.

Imperial War museum Duxford, Cambs

Air museum, lots to see and photograph with air displays especially popular.

LONDON

If you're into "street", candid people photography, as I am, the British Museum is a good place. The world and his wife are there, all with cameras so you don't feel out of place. Not bothering with the exhibits, I just sit with a coffee in the covered courtyard, wander up the stairs. There aren't many coffee shops where I feel I can get away with THIS.

Ten minutes walk away from the BM is Covent Garden, another tourist trap, lots of busking, WEIRD SIGHTS and a pretty good pie shop too. The "actors church" with garden is worth a look.

This is a good half day out for me when looking for inspiration for a photo competition entry, on my way to work.

Last edited:
Pleae may I do the Quote on the Lleyn Peninsula Portmerion, as I know all the details, I lives 16miles from it. Been there, got the info, its very nice.
I'll check up but its not the Lleyn Peninsula, its close but I think its more Snowdonia natural park.

Last edited:
Pleae may I do the Quote on the Lleyn Peninsula Portmerion, as I know all the details, I lives 16miles from it. Been there, got the info, its very nice.
I'll check up but its not the Lleyn Peninsula, its close but I think its more Snowdonia natural park.

Don't need to ask here Molly, go right ahead. . .

NORTH WALES
Bardsey Island ~ Just off the tip of the LLeyn Peninsula, Gwynedd
Island of a thousand saints. 2 miles long, there is a Lighthouse, which was built by Trinty House in 1821. A sea bird paradise, wildflowers and butterlies. Cottages available to book, tel 08458112233. Visit for a day or stay a week. Boat trips daily (weather permitting) Tel 07971769895 at a cost of £37, from a little cove Porth Meudwy, to leave the car at the top of the lane free or at a small cost at the local farm.
There is a bird observatory, on the island and every day they monitor the islands birds and nature.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjz_qrB4a7OAhWlI8AKHUWKC-EQFggdMAA&url=http://www.bbfo.org.uk/&usg=AFQjCNENpInxPuk0s62c2szslElYJ6qVqg&sig2=M8dEtkZNqAH2Z3fTYGiRSA

Bardsey Island (Medium).jpg
I have posted it in the wrong place, I should have found North Wales:(

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip.
You can just edit your post -put "North Wales" in bold on its own line at the beginning :).

Molly, it's easy.. . .
Type the text eg North Wales
Highlight it with your Cursor
Click on the " A with the grey line underneath " icon and then click on the colour you want.. :)
You can do the same with Bold Italic or Underline
Header.jpg

q395lyq2z

Last edited:
East Anglia

National Trust - Wimpole Estate... grounds, ruined keep, main house, walled gardens, etc

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/wimpole-estate

Arrington SG8 0BW

National Trust - Anglesey Abbey... grounds, gardens, tree lines, water mill, etc

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/anglesey-abbey-gardens-and-lode-mill

Cambridge CB25 9EJ

National Trust - Wicken Fen

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/wicken-fen-nature-reserve

Wicken, Ely CB7 5XP

Norfolk Coast...

Holkham Estate

http://www.holkham.co.uk/

Wells-next-the-Sea NR23 1AB

If you do visit Holkham Estate and Beach drive East along the coast (5mins) to "Wells Next The Sea" or visit Holkham beach and walk across beach or nature reserve to Wells Next The Sea... beautiful beach huts

https://www.wells-guide.co.uk/

Back