Plant ID please?

Name
wayne clarke
Edit My Images
Yes
Came across this in coastal sand dunes Wales, wondering what it is, the leaves look familar but I'm dammed if I can work it out.. The black doesnt look right to me?

WLC47750plant.jpg

Looks like a Rose of some sort.

If it was in the wild, maybe its a dog rose with decaying "hips" ?

If it was in the wild, maybe it’s a dog rose with decaying "hips" ?
The leaves and hips look exactly like a rose. Though the thorns look more like “prickles” so maybe not Dog Rose. Rosa rugosa has that sort of thorn but that’s not R.rugosa.
The hips are dead/decaying, their stems are shrivelled and blackened.

Last edited:
Thanks all.
Wales so not quite as warm as North Africa.

Yet! It’s a bit puzzling because wiki gives a very northern distribution but includes North Africa. The only common factor I can see is dryness since cold places are technically often “dry” even if lots of water about as ice and coastal dunes are obviously dry and such water as is present may be salty so “dry“ again.

Yet! It’s a bit puzzling because wiki gives a very northern distribution but includes North Africa. The only common factor I can see is dryness since cold places are technically often “dry” even if lots of water about as ice and coastal dunes are obviously dry and such water as is present may be salty so “dry“ again.
It was maybe a few hundred yards from the beach and fairly low lying in a sort of gully, so not a lot above sea level at a guess, I was mooching looking for any fungi, never found any though, probably a bit late.

Wiki tends to give the natural range rather than where it'll actually grow. Many plants will grow here quite happily and have become naturalised without being natives.

Wiki tends to give the natural range rather than where it'll actually grow. Many plants will grow here quite happily and have become naturalised without being natives.

I agree except in this case they give “native to Iceland” among others which is surprising. It’s likely there are different cold adapted varieties since it has such a vast distribution.

Wayne.it's a plant..by and large they are sedentary , I'd be patient and go back next year when tis in flower which might .I repeat might help with ID Tis a Rose I'm preddy sure it ain't a dog rose beyond that.well let me pontificate

Roses are cultivated by gardeners.they cross different species they line breed etc etc ad infinitum. This is a monster a huge huge thing. If I recollect correctly the "Autins" launch I1 in 10,000 of the cultivars they grow.............Roses are a huge money thing and therefore become terribly complex to identifiy

So to really ID a rose one needs flower hip and leaves and probably an incredible amount of expertise. Because one would have to ID it beyond a species, it might be a cultivar of a species, or even a hybrid. Plus, of course, that seed that found it's way to your sand dune might show growth characteristics, other than the norm.exposure to salt growth in sand dehydration might all affect how said plant looks. This is bonkers complex. Steve might be on the money but this one is a proper task

Wayne to simplify how many rose varieties are there in blighty.plausibly thousands.how many natives? maybe a handful?

This is blighty this is a teeny tiny microcosom of our flora............................ trees so so many not native even those are manipulated by man.lets go for another member of the rose family...an apple, just how many cultivars of those are there? To me your humble rose is part of a massive big picture of how man and plants work or don't work together and do or don't benefit our ecosystem . It really is sommit folks should stop for a mo and ponder. Bye the way I garden grow shed loads of food for my family bla de bla worked in forestry plant nurseries.so little of what I grow is actually natiive.what does that mean for my beasties?

I'd guess where a rose occurs in the wild is largely irrelevant here plant collectors have been moving and habitualizing plants for eons.

I guess this thread will reactivate around may june next year?? :LOL: :runaway::runaway::runaway:

Wayne....................Soz for the waffle it is really important we think on our ecosystems as a whole flora is the building block for fauna...................... there is a depth to the complexity of man's relationship with a rose that my words are to feeble to convey

take care

stu

Wayne.it's a plant..by and large they are sedentary , I'd be patient and go back next year when tis in flower which might .I repeat might help with ID Tis a Rose I'm preddy sure it ain't a dog rose beyond that.well let me pontificate

Roses are cultivated by gardeners.they cross different species they line breed etc etc ad infinitum. This is a monster a huge huge thing. If I recollect correctly the "Autins" launch I1 in 10,000 of the cultivars they grow.............Roses are a huge money thing and therefore become terribly complex to identifiy

So to really ID a rose one needs flower hip and leaves and probably an incredible amount of expertise. Because one would have to ID it beyond a species, it might be a cultivar of a species, or even a hybrid. Plus, of course, that seed that found it's way to your sand dune might show growth characteristics, other than the norm.exposure to salt growth in sand dehydration might all affect how said plant looks. This is bonkers complex. Steve might be on the money but this one is a proper task

Wayne to simplify how many rose varieties are there in blighty.plausibly thousands.how many natives? maybe a handful?

This is blighty this is a teeny tiny microcosom of our flora............................ trees so so many not native even those are manipulated by man.lets go for another member of the rose family...an apple, just how many cultivars of those are there? To me your humble rose is part of a massive big picture of how man and plants work or don't work together and do or don't benefit our ecosystem . It really is sommit folks should stop for a mo and ponder. Bye the way I garden grow shed loads of food for my family bla de bla worked in forestry plant nurseries.so little of what I grow is actually natiive.what does that mean for my beasties?

I'd guess where a rose occurs in the wild is largely irrelevant here plant collectors have been moving and habitualizing plants for eons.

I guess this thread will reactivate around may june next year?? :LOL: :runaway::runaway::runaway:

Wayne....................Soz for the waffle it is really important we think on our ecosystems as a whole flora is the building block for fauna...................... there is a depth to the complexity of man's relationship with a rose that my words are to feeble to convey

take care

stu
Well I'm pretty sure I could find it again, it was a fair bit off the path, but I have a good idea roughly where it was and it's only about 30 mins drive away so I could go back next year and have a look what it's like in flower. It would be nice to see it flower.

Almost certainly the native Rosa pimpinellifolia (syn: Rosa spinosissima) as said before in this thread. Common name is Burnet Rose. It can be found throughout the British Isles, especially in coastal areas. Usually flowers May to July.

Back