Please help, how to determine distance/size of object in photo

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
Yes
I took a photo of an unidentified object in the nights sky. Visually my guess was a mile or two high, size I don't know, but appears very large in the photo. Clearly you can see twenty lights or more, in line form, producing colors by simply adjusting contrast/brightness. The object is undeniable, clear, it's there, and I'm trying to learn as much as I can from the photo. What I need is knowing what I can learn from the specs of the camera, to possibly estimate the size and distance. The trouble is, it was in the dark of night, the only thing that showed, was the object, however I slightly got my finger in the way, however it seems to have helped, at least in terms of showing the objects at a distance from my finger lol, otherwise it's just light on a very dark canvas. It was taken using an older Alcatel idol3 5.5, it says it has an IMX214 sensor 13MP. Is there anything I can learn from this? Can I learn how big a pixel covers, with an infinite backdrop? Maybe the size or distance? I will take anything. I took a wild guess of the size of the object 200'×80', up to football field size, but I don't know really, it's way big enough to notice, and it clearly plain as day showed up.i plugged my phone into a Walmart photo kiosk, hit a few buttons and three times more things showed up.This is really important to me if you can help

Thank you

Lol, no, but thanks for that, made me laugh. No this was some time ago, and it never hut me the possibilities of determine size/ distance, if it were possible. It's a live action mind bending photo, with no explanation. Many people have seen it, and have zero understanding. No one on the planet seems to have anything like it. Because I took it, I can vouch it's not from this planet. Can you answer my post's questions?

FWIW
The sensor size is 4208 X 3120 pixels.

In something like Photoshop it is possible by cropping in around an object to see how many (by pixel dimensions) pixels the object "covers".

However, AFAIK without a reference point I cannot see how you could work out an object's size. Think of simple trigonometry to measure the height of a tree in the distance, easily done by comparison to what you are asking.

Without datum reference points the size of an object can not be determined.......because you do not know how far away it is.

IMO your guess of size is simply that, a guess.

PS the phone camera is described as having a digital zoom, if you used that any 'pixel coverage area' will need to factor that (unknown?) quantity in!

PPS I can understand if you do not wish to share the picture. But I wonder if what you saw was the either a meteorite breaking up or even a space debris 're-entry' burning up. In regard to either, knowing ~ exact date & time, your location and direction you were facing could throw some light on the mystery.

Last edited:
I also wonder whether it's possible to arrive at any conclusions when both size and distance are unknown.

If you happen to know the time and place the photo was taken, you could check to see if it was the ISS.

Thank you so very much for your reply. The pixel thing I don't understand much, I've tried a bit. And no, I have absolutely no qualms in sharing the photo. I am 100% certain it's not meteorites, the ISS, or any other craft made by man's hands, 100% certain of this. The reason why I even was looking up, was because of the weird happening at ground level. Did I mention, I am 100% certain? lol

Here's is a description of what is in the picture, without hitting the lightning button or contrast

Imagine an oblong shaped heart, wider on the sides, than it is tall, draw a continuous line, just to use this as a reference point. There are approximately 10 bright lights on the left side of the heart, approximately 10 on the right, pretty close to just what you would draw out on an oblong heart. These are not just dots or circular lights, they are different streaks of light, as if you cast off paint from a brush, but they fall in line with the heart shape. It has a few streaks coming out of the center, and a couple of others out of place. In the interior middle of the heart, just short of the bottom, it has a much brighter lite, that shines directly on the bottom, and strangely, it meets a T, which is where the bottom of the heart shape is, really lighting brighter along the bottom, which is a solid line

That's the photo before you do anything to it, but the Walmart kiosk shows a solid object directly in the center.jyst hit a couple buttons and it pops right out, every single time. The object has about a dozen rings, with space between them, it's hooked to a solid base, that has three notches cut out of one side, it has a different top on it, and some dark piles/ cables/straps holding the top.

It has no rotors, no cabin, no wings, no nothing really to explain what's holding it up there and making it fly. And yes it flies, I seen it come from 10 miles out just guessing,

When people look at it, they draw a blank, every one of them, but it drives me insane because I want to know more about it. All I have is my eyewitness testimony, and this giant thing in the photo

I really wish someone who knows photography, the in's and out, and tell me can be determined. Know anyone?

Thank you so very much for your reply. The pixel thing I don't understand much, I've tried a bit. And no, I have absolutely no qualms in sharing the photo. I am 100% certain it's not meteorites, the ISS, or any other craft made by man's hands, 100% certain of this. The reason why I even was looking up, was because of the weird happening at ground level. Did I mention, I am 100% certain? lol

Here's is a description of what is in the picture, without hitting the lightning button or contrast

Imagine an oblong shaped heart, wider on the sides, than it is tall, draw a continuous line, just to use this as a reference point. There are approximately 10 bright lights on the left side of the heart, approximately 10 on the right, pretty close to just what you would draw out on an oblong heart. These are not just dots or circular lights, they are different streaks of light, as if you cast off paint from a brush, but they fall in line with the heart shape. It has a few streaks coming out of the center, and a couple of others out of place. In the interior middle of the heart, just short of the bottom, it has a much brighter lite, that shines directly on the bottom, and strangely, it meets a T, which is where the bottom of the heart shape is, really lighting brighter along the bottom, which is a solid line

That's the photo before you do anything to it, but the Walmart kiosk shows a solid object directly in the center.jyst hit a couple buttons and it pops right out, every single time. The object has about a dozen rings, with space between them, it's hooked to a solid base, that has three notches cut out of one side, it has a different top on it, and some dark piles/ cables/straps holding the top.

It has no rotors, no cabin, no wings, no nothing really to explain what's holding it up there and making it fly. And yes it flies, I seen it come from 10 miles out just guessing,

When people look at it, they draw a blank, every one of them, but it drives me insane because I want to know more about it. All I have is my eyewitness testimony, and this giant thing in the photo

I really wish someone who knows photography, the in's and out, and tell me can be determined. Know anyone?

If happy to share it for anything other speculation then please go ahead and post it here in this thread......................but for more detailed examination do make sure, if you can, that is the original full sized image file. As that is likely to exceed the forum size limits, put it somewhere like Dropbox for folk to download and 'look into'?

Edit ~ as requested ~ date, time and direction seen :)

Edit2 ~ it just struck me the description could be a still lit (burning up?) Heart Shaped Chinese Lantern.........I look forward to seeing the original (out of the camera phone and not Walmart or other processed) picture!

Last edited:
I have copies on thumb drive, and CD, but these photos I screenshotted off of my Google photos, which I've locked myself out of, I got a new phone and number, but I forgot to take the phone security thing off. Thank goodness I had a camera shot put them on several thumb drives/ CD's

So I assume you can't do much on a screenshot, but you can clearly see what I'm dealing with, this is the original, taken almost straight up over my head, in a very very dark sky. I did get my finger in the way, but, lucky me, I got it anyway

So the first is the original, the second a little zoom action, the last is a photo of the picture, after doing the Walmart kiosk thing, brightness and such, I zoomed in on the area, made printed a giant poster sized photo, and then took a camera I took a picture of that, there was a light on the ceiling, it created a streak of light from about 12 to 5 o'clock, you can tell where that is, other than that it was all in the picture

I attached them, but I don't see them, let me know if their on your end, I'm going to send again in this post

Attachments

• RDT_20190920_1407566798627735405169331.png
    RDT_20190920_1407566798627735405169331.png
    382.6 KB · Views: 304
  • RDT_20190920_1307538798534380202034459.png
    RDT_20190920_1307538798534380202034459.png
    135.3 KB · Views: 157
  • RDT_20190920_1328032195095367620375047.png
    RDT_20190920_1328032195095367620375047.png
    134.5 KB · Views: 142
BTW, there was something even weirder, much weirder that popped out of that photo. It's VERY HARD, to have anyone take me seriously when they see what else came out. All I did to make other stuff appear, was do those little adjustments I can't even explain, on that Walmart kiosk thingy. If you notice in the original ( not the poster I made) there are a couple few stray lights, when I hit the button, something VERY WEIED popped out, it does it every time you finaggle those buttons, which means it was up there too

What I need is some smart photo guy/ gal, to do some fact checking. Hopefully they could tell it's an undoctored photo, tell this object wasn't close, which it wasn't, and give me some specs, the photo kind. I know nothing, I can't even remember what I already learned because it never stuck, something about 0-6400 brightness switch, zoom, contrast, pixels, and another hundred buttons on the real photo thing. I would be nice if I could get some kind of documentation with some figures, that way I could prove, yes, I got a heck of a ufo pic

I don't need it for me, I seen the things that came with it, up close and ground level like, but I'm perfectly fine if no one believes that, I dang sure didn't stick around and put a camera in their face

Thanks guys, any help would be appreciated

I attached them, but I don't see them, let me know if their on your end, I'm going to send again in this post

Dig out the original full sized file and upload it somewhere for others to download and examine.

Ok, I can take your car apart piece by piece, and put it all back together again, but I don't know how to get it off a thumb drive, onto this phone, my computer don't work, even if it did I still don't know how to do it.

Can a camera shop put it on my phone? If so would I lose any data? I asked them when I took it off of my phone, would I lose anything, would it stay original, just so somebody could look at it, and he said yes. I don't know if that goes for putting it back on my phone or not?

Thanks for the help

By definition you got a UFO pic because you don't know what it is. What I will say is that it's not aliens.

Its impossible to tell anything without the original picture because we need the metadata (and even less possible to prove the photo is undoctored). Even if you had the metadata we don't know how far the subject is from the camera so we can't tell you the size of the subject.

Thanks for replying Andy, I have several thumb drives from when I took the camera phone that took the photo, into a camera shop. I have a question, would it copy the data my old phone had? Like the date and time, and whatever camera information it imprints with the photo? If not I need to figure a way to retrieve that data I guess, if it help to investigate the photo. I still have the phone, it just doesn't turn on anymore, surely it still there.

But yes, the camera shop made a few thumb drives, I got it

But Andy, yes I'm 10000000% positive it's not worldly, simply because I seen things on the ground, right up VERY close and personal. If was only after that, I even bothered going outside to try and get a shot in the sky. I took that photo blindly, I slapped it up there two handed, didn't even take the time to look at the screen, way to busy looking forward, behind, and both sides of me, for whatever was there, one shot and I scaddoodle, back in the house

I'm NOT expecting anyone to believe me, NO ONE, but I'm telling you, when you look at the pics I sent, your staring with an unworldly craft, take that to the bank

Anyway, I hope to go one day this week, to figure out how to take that thumb drive, or cd even, and put that photo on this phone, so some smart photo guy and figure out, I didn't hack with it, and tell me those fancy little iso and whatever numbers can be had

K Andy?

One more thing Andy, when I blew this photo up by way of Walmart kiosk, I dialed in on this one tiny area, which is where the bright light is, this is what appeared, the round ball is my camera flash, but all the other light was in the photo

Tell me Andy, that's not alien,

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190212-174511.png
    Screenshot_20190212-174511.png
    337.4 KB · Views: 98
Andy, maybe your misunderstanding me, I didn't see aliens in my photo, I seen them in the ground with my own two eyes, way way more than one. I seen over a hundred of these "craft", with my own eyes, at least I seen the lights, just guessing, from ten miles out, they flew directly over my house, not a few degrees away from straight up. I never once with my own eyes, seen anything remotely close, to what's in the photo, the camera seen what I couldn't see. The only reason I'm bothering to reply to you, is in case someone passes by, and willing to help me. I know you have a preconceived notion to disregard what I say. Maybe, just maybe, someone will figure out a way to seen faking this photo impossible, after I upload the original. I'm really needing help, thx andy

As Andy says

Before anyone can even begin to offer any kind of explanation or even an idea.

1. You need to show/upload the original file direct from your camera

2. This has to be unedited and nothing at all done to it, just the plain original picture.

3. The Walmart kiosk is nothing more than a basic editing program, guys and girls here will have much better/stronger professional editing programs.

4. The original picture or file will container basic info we can read and maybe give you some answers to your questions.

But as above without the original file/picture, nothing more can be done to help.

Maybe, just maybe, someone will figure out a way to seen faking this photo impossible, after I upload the original.

Highly unlikely that any file can be deemed completely unfiddled with (faked) unless the card with the original shot on can be handed to an expert who saw the shot being taken and can swear to its origins. Screen shots simply won't cut it.

Is it jukebox? :)

rdt_20190920_1407566798627735405169331-png.255768

Ideally you need two images taken from different places a known distance apart. Then with the angles and focal lengh of the lens it should be posible to work out the distance to the object. With an image from one place it's all a bit father ted... (see video above)

@Mydogtaco

Firstly, as I asked and others have said and repeated.......only with the original file can any sort of insight be offered. You said your computer is bust......do any public libraries near you have computers available, or an internet café. Then you could upload it to, as I suggested somewhere like Dropbox, because such a full sized file cannot be put on this forum.

Next, can I clarify as follows:-
You started by asking purely about a photo 'analysis' question with just a hint of other things going on at the time. But then mentioned only rushing out of the house to take a sky picture and not the objects/subjects on the ground....either before or after rushing out of the house, why not???

I'll ask again....where exactly were you when you took the photo (what country and town?)

And are you still living at that same place???

Brownie, didn't catch the first time you asked me where , I promise, but I did catch it the second time and ignored it. I thought to myself, what difference would it make as to where and when, why in Earth would that have anything to do with in this forum, asking for the things I'm begging to have answered.

There is however, a dang good reason I didn't just come out and say, but I'm tired Andy, I'm tired, and I need this behind me, so I'm going to answer you.

It was just across the Lake, from Naval air station, formerly known as Carswell air Force Base. I had never been there before and had just moved there, I didn't even know I was near an airport, had no idea, honestly I'm only assuming Carswell air Force Base has a runway, I never seen it, and really don't want to, but it was just across a finger of the Lake. Forgive me Brownie, for not telling you that, I wasn't interested in receiving knocks at the door, I was and kinda still am under enough duress, rocking the boat is not my style.

When Andy? It went on nine days, The first few, I assumed they were aircraft, most especially after figuring out this airbase was there, It was late November to "maybe" December 1st, 2015, if my timestamps show up after putting the photo on the thumb drive I can tell you exactly, because it was day eight that I finally got the nerve to go outside after dark, to take this photo. No Andy, I don't live there anymore, trust me when I tell you this, after what I seen it , thats the very last place on the planet I want to be at, I was a gone pecan not long after, and I still don't ever want to go back.

Here's how this works. If I was to tell you what I seen, you simply would label me as fraud, a liar, insane, a lunatic, and rightly so. If someone claims they seen bigfoot, those are the labels they get. I would be no different , and I wouldn't expect pity, but I would expect ridicule. Some things never change

If I were to tell you I felt the vibations of The Craft, heard them, and seen their lights, it can easily be explained, that I'm nuts. Case closed right?

But Andy there's just one little ol thing, I got a photo, and I've been wishing lately I didn't

You would think I'm in the clear, I got a photo, i've got credibility, but you would be wrong, because what else is revealed in the photo, takes my credibility in a sense, and flushes it right down the toilet. I can't argue, it does it to me too, even though I know what I saw. Its ingrained and seared, never to be forgotten.

I cracked the door of the house, and took a bunch of pictures before I went out, to see if anything was there. I easily knew one was coming, day eight, same exact flight path, it wasn't hard to know where it would be in the sky. I never once seen what was in the photo, I only seen two beams of blue light shining on the ground, from craft, to ground, in a blue beam. That's all I saw was the beams if light. Anyway, I nervously walked about 15-20 from my door to a clear spot, not knowing where this thing was, only where it should be ( the beams moved in a crazy pattern) Seeing so many, I gauged their speed, in the end I even knew when the yard would light up, which lasted just a few seconds, and it would move on. Same bat time, same bat channel, once one passed, give it a few, and you would see another coming pretty much exactly, from the same direction, I'd see the beams lighting up the sky, craft to ground. Never seeing the craft itself, only clearly seeing where the beams started. I have a little trouble seeing tiny letters on a Tylenol bottle, but no trouble seeing big stuff, but I never once seen the heart shaped lights, not once, but the camera did.

I want to say this just one more time, the only thing that would help me, is if some smart picture guy can figure out, this photo is not a fraud. I need someone to say, it has not been doctored, and prove the object was nowhere near me, when I took the photo. I recall there wasn't a cloud in the sky most of these days, it was dark as all get out, but it did have light pollution in the surrounding areas from the city, just not where I was, but near. Looking up, it was black dark dark

I won't ever bother mentioning what was ground level, unless some photo guy can give me some kind of specs, if not, I'm putting this thing to bed and moving on. However I wish someone could help me, I'm not savvy enough to figure this thing on my own.

Okay Brownie? I will put the original right here asap, and fully expect to be ridiculed, *UNLESS*, someone could say and prove, this photo is authentic. When they see what else popped out of it, 99.999999999999999% of people would simply disregard it, but my question to them would be, how did I do that, create such a thing, I would say how would I even imagine that? Brownie, I'm not that bright,

Ttyl

It was just across the Lake, from Naval air station, formerly known as Carswell air Force Base. I had never been there before and had just moved there, I didn't even know I was near an airport, had no idea, honestly I'm only assuming Carswell air Force Base has a runway, I never seen it, and really don't want to, but it was just across a finger of the Lake.

I expect it was just a weather balloon, then: http://roswellbooks.com/museum/?page_id=259

To:

Scott, understood, that's great news, yes I had a professional camera shop put them on thumb and CD, before my phone bit the dust

Nod, best that I can do is what I said above, however I still have the original phone, it doesn't power up anymore, but I'm hoping the data can still be retrieved

Ed, nice guess. It wasn't your typical silent UFO, lt had sound, but not the kind you would Boot scoot 2. Seeing as we're taking guessing stabs at it, I can tell you since 2015, until now, I had no guesses whatsoever. None. But just in the last week I watched Joe Rogan with Bob Lazar. He is the guy who started the area 51 craze. I am not saying that I believe him one way or the other, I'm only going to tell you, a few of the things he said made a lot of sense, because I see it in my photo. First, he explains the heart shaped garavational field, you can see a heart shape in my photo, however it is outlined in light. Second, he mentioned a pewter type grey metal/ceramic, look above in a separate photo, the base holding ringed object looks grey to me, but maybe I just hit too many buttons on the kiosk. Third, he said his craft was sorta nuclear powered, wirelessly with very few components, there's not much in my photo. Fourthly, I'm gonna throw some words out I have no idea what they mean, like circular particle accelerator, cyclotron, nuclear reactor etc. I am just a monkey when it comes to understanding that, but l can put a square in a square hole in one of those kids toys, I can look at a picture of those words I said above, and see some similarities. This is what I know, they didn't need a "craft", to get from that "craft?", to the ground, I'm 100% positive of that, I'm beginning to think this was a power pack of sorts, that they access wirelessly, strange I know, but that's the best I can come up with

Retune, I'm light years past it being a weather balloon, weather balloons don't come with strange beings

I appreciate you guys, I'm very excited to put this photo here and have some of you take a peek. I'm so dense, I didn't know I could upload it and have someone do their wizardry from the cloud, I thought you had to be in person and plug it in

Thank you thank you

This is what Bob Lazar drew. I believe he said the heart shape was a gravitational field, he also mentioned an antenna. You can see the heart shape outlined by light ( in a line upwards, yet holding the ❤️ shape, like a castoff from a paint brush, so the light seems to be cast off from the solid object in the middle) He also depicts 3 cans attached to pipes, mine is different, however it does have 3 slots cut out of the base. He made mention of tubes ( fuel rods I guess) and a cyclotron, which is circular with a space in between the discs, except in my pic, there's many discs, and many spaces, you can easily see all these things in this photo

(Reminder, the original pic is a screenshot, the colorful one is a full sized colorful poster I made, which I took a photo, the streak of light from the 12 o'clock, to four o'clock position is reflection from the ceiling light, the other is a poster made, where I maximum zoomed in one small spot, at the base of the object, which seems to be a base with three slots cut out, you can see the grey color on what appears metallic, sorry that ball of light is a reflection from the flash, everything else came from the photo.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190921-135429.png
    Screenshot_20190921-135429.png
    385.4 KB · Views: 53
  • RDT_20190920_1407566798627735405169331.png
    RDT_20190920_1407566798627735405169331.png
    382.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot_20190212-174511.png
    Screenshot_20190212-174511.png
    337.4 KB · Views: 51
Canon Bob, that's the kind of photographic investigation I need, however I mentioned that particular object was close to me, I went to the the Walmart photo kiosk, plugged my phone in, hit a few buttons and enlarged that bright spot at the base of the object, add that camera shop print it into a poster, took the poster back to the hotel, broke out my Nikon 5300 I had at the time, and snapped a picture of the "poster", which was the same thing I did with the other picture, the original picture above, although it's a screenshot on my phone, is what was in the sky

But yes, give me a little time and I'm going to go get my thumb drive and try to figure out how to put this thing up here where you can do some more investigation

Thanks

All being well I look forward to seeing/examining the original picture file and then to hearing what other folk make of it.

FWIW in the meantime some info I found out about Carswell:-
It was very much a Cold War SAC base but closed latterly to become a Naval Air Reserve Air Station and is apparently quite an active one.

During It's history it was also a site of aircraft manufacturing.

In 2015 I found reference to a reference to a visit by an Antonov AN124 doing a large lift of a mock-up Lockheed Martin F-35.

Now an opened ended, speculative thought ~ I wonder if Lockheed Martin were doing prototype building and test flights at Carswell, afteral they seem to have built the F-35 mockup there. So, what could they have been flying and what may have resulted in exotic sightings of unknown "designs". Maybe even some "testbed" designs of the F-35B vertical takeoff variant..........a lot of noise and 'rushing air' from that one!

Note ~ I am not speculating that what you photographed was anything in particular, just that it is possible for more earthbound explanations of much of the lights and goings on that you heard & saw.

I took a photo of an unidentified object in the nights sky. Visually my guess was a mile or two high, size I don't know, but appears very large in the photo. Clearly you can see twenty lights or more, in line form, producing colors by simply adjusting contrast/brightness. The object is undeniable, clear, it's there, and I'm trying to learn as much as I can from the photo. What I need is knowing what I can learn from the specs of the camera, to possibly estimate the size and distance.<snip>
To calculate the size, you need to know the distance. To calculate the distance you need to know the size. With the information you have offered, the best you can get is the angle of view but that could be a small thing close to or a large thing far away.

Yes John , sadly so far that seems to be the case, it's very disappointing to hear.i can give a ballpark by eye, not knowing the distance, but I'm outside as I type this, and there are some abnormally low clouds here, I can safely say it was slightly above them, whatever that means, but to me it would have had to be very large

Brownie, thanks for that info, I appreciate it, that type of aircraft couldn't have been this.i can say that for many reasons, because these beams of blue light shining downward. I could see them way in the distance, craft to ground, and began to get a good judge of speed, knowing the coverage size of the beams, as they lit up the ground, you could tell it's speed, simply by how long the beam took, to cover the area I was in, if that makes any sense. I guess as an example, imagine you were stopped at a four-way stop sign, and a car was passing in front of you, with your headlights on, if that car was going one mile an hour, your headlight would take longer to pass bumper to bumper, or their car. Flip the scenario, the craft shined a wide beam on the ground, it took a few, to ten or 15 seconds to pass. It was going much too slow, to have been any type of airplane/jet. Much less the noise factor, even seeing it fly low in the dark, I think I would have seen the wings or something, plus no tail, wing, landing headlights, flashing lights, strobes or nothing, just those beams of strange *blue* light, I didn't even see all those lights in the photo, but it appears the only place those beams could have come from, is the bright area just below the lower center of the "craft". They had a crazy pattern to them, so they moved around, but even still, knowing the pattern it was easy to see, this thing was going very slow

If it was aliens at least they didn't throw a hissy fit, call you a pervert and demand you delete the photo.

Here is a handy UFO size calculation example for future reference:

http://ufobc.ca/yukon/22ufosize.htm

Of course, aliens who can manipulate the fabric of spacetime itself to traverse the interstellar void must laugh at our puny human concept of 'distance'. Perhaps the pattern of lights was merely how our limited senses would perceive the projection into our reality of a transdimensional object that extends through a hyperspace conduit all the way to Betelgeuse.

I suppose another thing to remember is that men tend to over estimate size but maybe it's just women who say this.

This is a question I can't help asking myself when reading accounts of UFO sightings: If you were an advanced alien civilisation that had mastered physics and astro-propulsion technology to the extent that you could visit other far-away worlds and/or move between different dimensions (if they exist), why would you cover the craft in which you were traveling with lots of coloured lights?

Last edited:
Back