Please talk me out of an Xpan

• Thread starter Deleted member 21335
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21335

Film people. I really need talking out of this before I end up buying one having turned one down recently in the classifieds. That was such a great deal and went for £2,000, boxed with 45mm and 90mm. On eBay, they are asking around £2,000 give or take with just the 45mm. Now, I have never shot one but love the images I see people post with it and would love to try the format, but is it just something I will put a couple of rolls through and get bored of?? My go to 35mm is my M3 with 50mm f2.0, so even in non-panoramic mode, I would be losing two stops with the X-Pan so it wouldn't replace that.
Who has one or has owned one? Please share your images here or tell me why I shouldn't spend around £2,000! The last 35mm images I took were terrible (just not very good subjects/compositions). Do I need more expensive disappointment? I am also travelling to the Scottish Highlands and Outer Hebrides in March so would love it for that to compliment my medium format stuff.

Help. :)

If you're looking for people to talk you out of buying a camera, you're looking in the wrong place :LOL:

I've never owned, used, or even seen one in the flesh, but the photos I've seen from them always look great. I reckon you'd get some cracking landscapes in the Highlands with it too.

But yes, definitely don't buy it ;)

If you're looking for people to talk you out of buying a camera, you're looking in the wrong place :LOL:

I've never owned, used, or even seen one in the flesh, but the photos I've seen from them always look great. I reckon you'd get some cracking landscapes in the Highlands with it too.

But yes, definitely don't buy it ;)

But I always preach to people that it's not about the gear, it really isn't. There are two cameras I would love to own and never have and the Xpan is one of those. But it isn't about the gear. No.

It's 35mm film, how much better images can it produce than any other 35mm film camera?
Ok it might be a nicer product to hold and use but realistically its the lens and the film that create the image, I've got an old EOS with a few lenses you can have for 2 grand if you're that desperate. :)

It's 35mm film, how much better images can it produce than any other 35mm film camera?
Ok it might be a nicer product to hold and use but realistically its the lens and the film that create the image, I've got an old EOS with a few lenses you can have for 2 grand if you're that desperate. :)

I think you’re missing the USP of the xpan. pan=panoramic

@gazmorton2000

Gareth. How about trying one of these (eBay listing) 182742095007

If you like the format, sell it for an xpan. Or just sell it.

They are vastly overpriced for the results you get. I shot two landscape shots on my little Ross Ensign 16-20 and stitched them in PS then had it printed at 30" X 10" and I'm convinced that the xpan could not produce better, the Ross cost me £4.99 plus postage.;)

Definitely, didnt know that's what it did.
I thought maybe it could only use Xpan film :)

It shoots a 24 x 65 negative instead of 24 x 36. :D Lovely format.

I have a couple of normal 35mm cameras too, but have a bit of an itch for this.

@gazmorton2000

Gareth. How about trying one of these (eBay listing) 182742095007

If you like the format, sell it for an xpan. Or just sell it.

Not sure I fancy a punt, even for £170. Ha. I can never be bothered trying to sell things, hence my Nikon 24/35 lenses I have here with no use for them.

They are vastly overpriced for the results you get. I shot two landscape shots on my little Ross Ensign 16-20 and stitched them in PS then had it printed at 30" X 10" and I'm convinced that the xpan could not produce better, the Ross cost me £4.99 plus postage.;)

Definitely agree they are overpriced, however unless there's a crash, I should be able to get most of my money back should I want to sell it on afterwards.

Fuji do a panoramic camera for about half the money. Would that scratch the itch at a more reasonable price? http://www.ffordes.com/product/17122712043381

That's a beast, but only F8 at the widest and 4 shots per roll! Crumbs.

It shoots a 24 x 65 negative instead of 24 x 36. :D Lovely format.

I have a couple of normal 35mm cameras too, but have a bit of an itch for this.

Then you know you just have to buy it, what's it like in portrait mode, good for tall things?

Last edited:
Given the cost of an XPan and the cost of 120 film, why not just use medium format and crop the result? You'll get the same image shape with zero hardware expenditure. If you find it hard to compose on a square or rectangular screen, just put a mask on the ground glass (I assume you're not using a RF MF).

The XPan never appealed - I just could never spend the best part of £2k+ on a camera that shoots 35mm (even if they are 65mm across). £2k buys you a complete Mamiya 6 kit (if you want something light), or even a Rolleiflex and Hasselblad 500C/M combined. All of those would produce a bigger negative (edit: I realised that 6x6 is actually 56mm x 56mm - but I think the point of cropping is still worth consideration), can be cropped down to 24x65, and would all hold their value as well as the XPan. I imagine the novelty would wear off as well - I owned a Lomography Sprocket Rocket (which I admit is not quite a Hasselblad - but it shoots an even wider negative (24x72mm), and costs the same as a tank of petrol - not the cost of a whole small car), and although I enjoyed taking photos like the one below, it wore off quickly.

XPan + 90mm lens = 1085 grams
Mamiya 6 + 75mm lens = 1140 grams

London Underground

Last edited:
The Bronica etrs and sq systems have panoramic backs available that use 35mm film. How about trying one of those to get a feel for the panoramic aspect ratio? They would be bulkier but also cheaper and with some faster lens options. Also some wider/ longer focal lengths available.

In addition to my last post it just occurred that a medium format system camera like the Bronica would give you a choice of formats with different film backs whilst only having to carry one camera and set of lenses.

Definitely agree they are overpriced, however unless there's a crash, I should be able to get most of my money back should I want to sell it on afterwards.

Well, that's assuming that the camera continues to work too...

If I were spending that sort of money, I'd be owning a Plaubel Makina 67 or Mamiya 6/7. You would have the option of cropping these down to 24x56 if you really wanted.

That's a beast, but only F8 at the widest and 4 shots per roll! Crumbs.

Only f/8? The Fuji G617 is effectively a large format camera, so f/8 on this camera is the equivalent of about f/2.5 for 135 format in terms of depth of field. I don't think offering this camera/lens with a wider aperture would offer a photographer much more photographically except additional size and weight.

Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 1.34.15 pm.png

The XPan never appealed - I just could never spend the best part of £2k+ on a camera that shoots 35mm (even if they are 65mm across). £2k buys you a complete Mamiya 6 kit (if you want something light), or even a Rolleiflex and Hasselblad 500C/M combined. All of those would produce a bigger negative (edit: I realised that 6x6 is actually 56mm x 56mm - but I think the point of cropping is still worth consideration), can be cropped down to 24x65, and would all hold their value as well as the XPan. I imagine the novelty would wear off as well - I owned a Lomography Sprocket Rocket (which I admit is not quite a Hasselblad - but it shoots an even wider negative (24x72mm), and costs the same as a tank of petrol - not the cost of a whole small car), and although I enjoyed taking photos like the one below, it wore off quickly.

XPan + 90mm lens = 1085 grams
Mamiya 6 + 75mm lens = 1140 grams

London Underground

Having both the X-pan and the Mamiya 6 I find the act of using the X-pan completely different. Being able to see the panoramic framing of the image in the viewfinder has a very different feel to me to shooting with the intention of cropping.

The f4 minimum aperture is annoying at times though.

I had no idea they were selling for that much though, I bought mine (45mm lens only) for about £750 I think!

Oh, and you definitely shouldnt buy one :naughty:

Having both the X-pan and the Mamiya 6 I find the act of using the X-pan completely different. Being able to see the panoramic framing of the image in the viewfinder has a very different feel to me to shooting with the intention of cropping.

Indeed - I appreciate the suggested alternatives are not exact replicas of what the XPan offers. But there is also the panoramic kit for the Mamiya 6, and again, £2k is a staggering amount of money.

I agree, to the point where that pricing is making me consider trading mine in (as are the Mamiya 6 prices, when did they go up so much!)

Last edited:
There's no point comparing it to any other camera. The Xpan is unique: a portable, lightweight panoramic camera with super-wide rectilinear lenses. Other cameras will give you a similar end-result, but I can't think of anything else that will give the same overall experience. The closest thing would be a Mamiya 7ii with 43mm lens and 35mm panoramic kit, but that will cost you £2000+ today...and you won't have a 1:3 viewfinder, so composing is a bit of a guess...and the panoramic adapter is fiddly....and the M7's shutter blind lever is prone to breaking...and you'll be stuck using an external viewfinder etc.

Also, can you buy a 30mm 6x7 rectilinear lens for any price?

Hasselblad UK still repair the Xpan, by the way. Six months ago, someone posted on another site that they had the power switch swapped on their Xpan v1 to the Xpan II's switch because it was becoming stiff.

Sorry Gareth :(

But! If I don't get along with mine, it's your's for the price I paid :)

I agree, to the point where that pricing is making me consider trading mine in (as are the Mamiya 6 prices, when did they go up so much!)

I occasionally have thoughts like this about my medium format gear - but then I realise they are great bits of kit, they were sourced carefully, and I know they have been serviced by trusted people (and when they were serviced). Even with the money, it would be tough to replace them if I had the urge to own them again.

Then you know you just have to buy it, what's it like in portrait mode, good for tall things?

Seen I t done, but not quite sure I like it in portrait orientation. Ha.

Given the cost of an XPan and the cost of 120 film, why not just use medium format and crop the result? You'll get the same image shape with zero hardware expenditure. If you find it hard to compose on a square or rectangular screen, just put a mask on the ground glass (I assume you're not using a RF MF).

The Bronica etrs and sq systems have panoramic backs available that use 35mm film. How about trying one of those to get a feel for the panoramic aspect ratio? They would be bulkier but also cheaper and with some faster lens options. Also some wider/ longer focal lengths available.

I do have MF and could crop, but very much dislike throwing so much of the negative away. Plus, I am a single lens kinda guy, I don't have more than one lens for each system currently.

Well, that's assuming that the camera continues to work too...

If I were spending that sort of money, I'd be owning a Plaubel Makina 67 or Mamiya 6/7. You would have the option of cropping these down to 24x56 if you really wanted.

Only f/8? The Fuji G617 is effectively a large format camera, so f/8 on this camera is the equivalent of about f/2.5 for 135 format in terms of depth of field. I don't think offering this camera/lens with a wider aperture would offer a photographer much more photographically except additional size and weight.

View attachment 119812

DOF wise, I agree, it's more the light gathering ability of F8. Wouldn't like to be tied down to using a tripod.........although you know I love some Portra 800.

There's no point comparing it to any other camera. The Xpan is unique: a portable, lightweight panoramic camera with super-wide rectilinear lenses. Other cameras will give you a similar end-result, but I can't think of anything else that will give the same overall experience. The closest thing would be a Mamiya 7ii with 43mm lens and 35mm panoramic kit, but that will cost you £2000+ today...and you won't have a 1:3 viewfinder, so composing is a bit of a guess...and the panoramic adapter is fiddly....and the M7's shutter blind lever is prone to breaking...and you'll be stuck using an external viewfinder etc.

Also, can you buy a 30mm 6x7 rectilinear lens for any price?

Hasselblad UK still repair the Xpan, by the way. Six months ago, someone posted on another site that they had the power switch swapped on their Xpan v1 to the Xpan II's switch because it was becoming stiff.

Sorry Gareth :(

But! If I don't get along with mine, it's your's for the price I paid :)

Haha, definitely not helping but thanks. :)

I have an X-Pan 1 bought new, they are awesome so I think you should get it :D

For the price I decided I'd be happier with my Pentax 67 and the 45/4 (plus the rest of my 67 mount lenses) and just cropping the 56x70 negs when I print, plus I get the advantage of having a little rise/fall in post as well. I have a panoramic kit for it but it's too fiddly and you need a changing bag to remove the spent rolls.

But it really is the price that's the main sticking point for me, if only I got one when they were around 1K!

DOF wise, I agree, it's more the light gathering ability of F8. Wouldn't like to be tied down to using a tripod........

I suspect with a panoramic camera a tripod is more useful than normally... if you get your levels slightly out with a pano you'll lose a lot more negative straightening it!

I thought that 617 looked like a good buy. There's also a Reality So Subtle (or something) pinhole 617 camera I think.

One thing to think about is scanning the darn negative. Panos wouldn't work in my Plustek!

For the price I decided I'd be happier with my Pentax 67 and the 45/4 (plus the rest of my 67 mount lenses) and just cropping the 56x70 negs when I print, plus I get the advantage of having a little rise/fall in post as well. I have a panoramic kit for it but it's too fiddly and you need a changing bag to remove the spent rolls.

But it really is the price that's the main sticking point for me, if only I got one when they were around 1K!

Oh yes , You can buy a 35mm insert for a 67

The 40mm lens on an ETRS (56mm wide frame?) gives almost the same horizontal FoV as a 45mm on a 65mm wide frame - about 70° and 72° respectively. Almost the same number of frames per roll (15 and... 18?). And, as mentioned, no hassle to scan, options for rise/fall and horizon straightening without losing aspect ratio.

I think I'd be tempted to try the general aspect ratio and negative size by cheaper means first, and then decide whether I liked that enough to buy into the handling.

When you get it don't forget to tell the lab not to cut the film seeing as it's panoramic. :D
Assuming you're sending it off that is.

You used to get a Hasselblad keyring with a new xpan. The camera, which was a delight to use, is long gone but I still use the keyring daily. Just saying.

I had one and even though the format was lovely, I hated using it. Rangefinder patch wasn't that bright, it was weird and long to hold, just didn't like it. Heavy as well.

I quite like the xpan ratio, its why I can't just crop a 6x6.....well, I could, I just don't want to.
It isn't just that though, its as much about it being an RF that shoots 35mm panoramic by default, I don't wanna deal with distortion so swing lenses are out too.
I've considered a Fuji 670/680 with a 65 and just loading it with 35mm using the canister adapter, but I reckon I'm just gonna put some nice glass on a sprocket rocket when I get the time...:)

I've considered a Fuji 670/680 with a 65 and just loading it with 35mm using the canister adapter, but I reckon I'm just gonna put some nice glass on a sprocket rocket when I get the time...:)

All of this makes me want to own a Sprocket Rocket again!

Last edited:
I have an Xpan which Ive owned for over 10yrs. Over that time, Ive picked up the 90mm as an addition to the 45mm, the half leather case, the leather shoulder bag, spirit level, and a few other bits an pieces. It is an incredibly good camera. I have never had a roll from it yet that I havent got some stunning pictures. The format is absolutely outstanding and the quality of the lenses is simply oustanding. In my opinion, its Leica quality in the best format. Its a rugged workhorse of a camera, titanium build, with all the automation which youd ever need. I would highly recommend an Xpan any day.

The price has rocketed in the last few years and the cameras and lenses are getting harder to find. I would certainly buy one again.

Back