Please talk me out of an Xpan

• Thread starter Deleted member 21335
  • Start date
It will stand the same amount of hammering, I’m sure you’re right however, will the electronics still be functioning in 60 years like my M3 is?

But this is a while different can of worms, and one simply cannot make a valid comparison without tempering the lifetime argument with the level of sophistication an functionality of the more modern system. Modern electronics are A) more susceptible to fatigue and damage because of their component size (simply look up damage in semiconductors due to high energy photons, etc), and B) there is simply more to go wrong. Both of these points are distinct from arguments about build quality of either the boards or the components themselves. The M3 electronics are about as basic as it gets, and the components are probably huge by comparison, allowing for much larger solder joints, etc etc etc. Let us not forget also that the F5 (to continue the comparison) is up to 22 years old now, and considering what the F5 can do by comparison, that's pretty good!

Last edited:
But this is a while different can of worms, and one simply cannot make a valid comparison without tempering the lifetime argument with the level of sophistication an functionality of the more modern system. Modern electronics are A) more susceptible to fatigue and damage because of their component size (simply look up bit flip errors in semiconductors due to high energy photons, etc), and B) there is simply more to go wrong. Both of these points are distinct from arguments about build quality of either the boards or the components themselves. The M3 electronics are about as basic as it gets, and the components are probably huge by comparison, allowing for much larger solder joints, etc etc etc. Let us not forget also that the F5 (to continue the comparison) is up to 22 years old now, and considering what the F5 can do by comparison, that's pretty good!

Hey I agree. I’m not against any of these cameras.
I just like my Leica and can’t see me selling it. Simple as that really.
I like taking photos with it.

Hey I agree. I’m not against any of these cameras.
I just like my Leica and can’t see me selling it. Simple as that really.
I like taking photos with it.

Oh absolutely, I don't take any issue what so ever with other people using them, if that's what they want to do. My only argument was essentially against the prices and how they can be justified in a quantifiable way: which of course, sets aside "the feel" :)

I should add that, I've never actually held one, which I am fully happy to admit at the time, has every possibility of changing my mind! Something I have to do often in general in my line of work!

Last edited:
Oh absolutely, I don't take any issue what so ever with other people using them, if that's what they want to do. My only argument was essentially against the prices and how they can be justified in a quantifiable way: which of course, sets aside "the feel" :)

I should add that, I've never actually held one, which I am fully happy to admit at the time, has every possibility of changing my mind! Something I have to do often in general in my line of work!

I’d have been happy to let you play with mine but you’re a bit far away.

I thought you might respond. :) I know your thoughts with regards to 35mm and I totally get what you mean.
35mm still has a little something for me and I enjoy shooting it.

It will stand the same amount of hammering, I’m sure you’re right however, will the electronics still be functioning in 60 years like my M3 is?

I do get the arguments against 35mm and for MF but for me, it’s small and quick and easy to use and the image quality is very good as far as 35mm goes. I still have a thing for 35mm.

Still not sure about that. My photography lets the format down.

Shane you haven’t read the thread then.

Who's Shane?

Very good of you chap :) Perhaps we'll bump into each other on a meet some time, and you can (hopefully not, as I'm poor :D) change my mind.

Surely someone will bring a Leica to Scotland? But then, they'll have to hide it in case Jonathan falls in love and has to persuade Nikki to double their mortgage?:D

I also wonder if anyone might bring a XPAN to Scotland, too...

Last edited:
Surely someone will ring a Leica to Scotland? But then, they'll have to hide it in case Jonathan falls in love and has to persuade Nikki to double their mortgage?:D

I also wonder if anyone might bring a XPAN to Scotland, too...

The Scotland trip looked good actually and if I hadn’t just been in March, I’d have been up for that. That’s where some of my Xpan photos are from.

... - there seems to be no quantifiable reason for the price premium of a Leica. I should also point out that, a Nikon FM can be had for £50, whereas a Leica M2 goes for £400++?

Supply and demand, obviously.

The reasons people have for buying any particular thing over some other thing that serves an ostensibly similar purpose aren't always quantifiable. I use a Leica M2 (amongst other cameras) because I like it.

The M3 electronics are about as basic as it gets, and the components are probably huge by comparison, allowing for much larger solder joints, etc etc etc.

There are no electronics in an M3 (or an M2 or M4).

There are no electronics in an M3 (or an M2 or M4).

So like he said, as basic as it gets. :ROFLMAO:

That is another factor that I love about mine, and also did with my (now sold) Hasselblad.

I suppose a PC synch socket could be seen as "electronic".

I suppose a PC synch socket could be seen as "electronic".

A switch is classed as an electrical device, not electronic. A sparky who wires up some lights doesn't become an electronics engineer because a switch was included in the job.

I may going to roll out the old phrase "this thread is useless without pics".

Come on Gareth, would love to see some of your shots with this camera, we won't judge!

I may going to roll out the old phrase "this thread is useless without pics".

Come on Gareth, would love to see some of your shots with this camera, we won't judge!

Ha, not a lot worth sharing at the moment. :)

The look on the faces of those sheep is just saying "why are you using an X-Pan, I didn't realise you could still get film for them?"

The look on the faces of those sheep is just saying "why are you using an X-Pan, I didn't realise you could still get film for them?"

Love my XPan. Not goning anywhere, this one. The roll that's in currently has some shot in normal, 36x24 ratio so will see how those come out.

Back