Plusnet - Any good?

I couldn't find a single good review about them a few months ago when looking for a new ISP at garage, all sorts of complaints from lousy customer service to none connections, to glacial speeds they dont know how to resolve. However as with all these things, you rarely hear he good only the bad, but based on no good, I opted for Be and they have been good and reliable so far....

if you have phone with O2, get landline and broadband from them :) you will get discount on both as a o2 customer.
have braodband from them and as mine BT contract expires soon, will switch to o2 for landline as well:)

A friend of mine has had a load of problems, the speed was very low, also router kept packing up, and they lost connection numerous times. They swapped to bt and been much better. I have had bt internet for a while now, and I can't fault it, great speed, never lost service and the home hub has never let me down either.

A friend of mine has had a load of problems, the speed was very low, also router kept packing up, and they lost connection numerous times. They swapped to bt and been much better. I have had bt internet for a while now, and I can't fault it, great speed, never lost service and the home hub has never let me down either.

not to mention that BT is cutting speed in peak hours...

I was with Plusnet years ago before BT took over. There were a good provider then and one that gave a really low contention rate too.

Nowadays I am with BT and I have to say that I stay with them because they provide me with a good, stable connection at a rate I am happy with. My OH games on the PS3 and I stream a lot through iPlayer, etc. No complaints really. One problem I did have recently was dealt with by a lovely chap from Glasgow who made sure that everything was sorted out.

My dad is still with Plusnet, but he is using their really cheap option (£5 per month?) which is fine for the very odd occasion he looks up anything on t'internet and it allows me to use the iPhone in his house and him to get pictures streamed to his Photoframe from other members of the family. He is such a small fry user that I doubt his experience counts for much... It is cheap and cheerful.

As Yv says, you do only hear the bad stuff. Every major provider has its fans and its haters. I don't change provider because I find BT fine for me. I am honestly afraid that I may end up with an inferior service and a whole load of hassle for no particular reason :shrug:

Sorry, wish I could be more helpful :)

In the bad old days...... Plusnet used to be one of the most highly rated providers out there, year after year. But this doesn't appear to have been the case for the last four or so years.

I cannot recommend The Utility Warehouse highly enough. Always top of the Which mag's customer service ratings and not just for broadband.

if you have phone with O2, get landline and broadband from them :) you will get discount on both as a o2 customer.
have braodband from them and as mine BT contract expires soon, will switch to o2 for landline as well:)

I've looked into o2, and sadly they don't offer their normal packages in my area, so I'd have to go on their access package, £25+ a month plus costs to start with to do some work on my line... Too expensive I think!

I download/upload a fair bit through the night, since my connection is quite slow I prefer to do that stuff when I'm not at the PC :D

I'm currently paying Sky £40 a month for the privilege of not watching their TV (don't have time) plus broadband and phone - Too expensive now, so looking for an alternative.

Key factors;

"unlimited" usage (or night usage, as plusnet allow)
Reliability
Anytime phone (extra cost is OK)
Around £20 a month if possible! - Not asking much, I know!!

In the bad old days...... Plusnet used to be one of the most highly rated providers out there, year after year. But this doesn't appear to have been the case for the last four or so years.

I cannot recommend The Utility Warehouse highly enough. Always top of the Which mag's customer service ratings and not just for broadband.

Had a look at them - They look great, but want to install a new line at my house, as "there isn't a working line here", but clearly there is (I guess it could be because I'm connected to Sky)

Have a look at IDNet. Been with them for about 2 years now. never had an issue. 1 month contract so if you do have problems they are easy to leave.

i was with Plusnet for 3 years and never had a single problem. speeds were good, no disconnections, the only issue was they were not the cheapest.
I eventually changed to TalkTalk as they offered a better price for the same service.
Problem was, they made a mistake and the proper tariff was in fact dearer than my previous Plusnet, the service was absolutewly dire and the speed was so bad I couldn't even surf the web some nights.
After much grief I went back to Plusnet and the troubles went away.

I've been with PlusNet for about 8 years I think and never had a spot of bother with them. General browsing, iPlayer/streaming and every so often I'll do a bulk load of downloading and I don't ever notice and problems with speeds or dropout.

Like a couple of others above I'm also with Plusnet since I moved into my place. Best price on the market by quite a margin (as long as you only want phone/calls, not TV). Connection has been 100% perfect except for a minor blip due to a BT fault and that was fixed within 45 minutes.

Plus they have a little scheme where you can recommend friends and share a discount - very handy to save a few more pence off the bills.

Had a look at them - They look great, but want to install a new line at my house, as "there isn't a working line here", but clearly there is (I guess it could be because I'm connected to Sky)
That shouldn't be the case just because you have Sky line. The only thing I can think of is that your number was originally issued by a cable company. :thinking:

plusnet..... Plus they have a little scheme where you can recommend friends and share a discount - very handy to save a few more pence off the bills.
The Utility Warehouse have a scheme whereby you receive, not a one-off discount, but a continuing discount off your bill (typically 2% for each member introduced) forevermore - as long as the introduced member remains a paying member. You can intro as many as you like. You do the math :D

They also have another, even better, scheme where you get 3-7% cashback off your shopping. We usually receive a smidge over £50 taken off our monthly bills because of this scheme alone. (y)

use plusnet for work here and its great 8meg connection and great transfer rates both up and down (I download from work to home and its my crappy virgin home link that limits the transfer)

Total downtime less than 30 mins in 5 years I would recomened them

Their customer service was a big let down for me, initially when I joined everything was fine but when they changed my connection to ADSL MAX it all went downhill.

Download speeds comparable to dial-up, nobody wanted to take ownership of the problem. After 1 month of calls and emails failed to resolve the problem I moved my connection, fortunately I was on a monthly rolling contract. :bang:

They are cheap but there is a reason for that! :thumbsdown:

My mates on PlusNet and loves them, good speeds, good service, just shocking CS..but hey, we normally find that..apart from tiscali who are crap all in all!

I dont think there is any ISP that has good customer service.

Yes there is,i have been with IDNET for 3 years now & they are excellent.:)(y)

I been with plus net for years and have no problem with them I would refer u if u want join?

I have been with plusnet for a few month, I am not impressed with them, slow connection. crashing regularly, can't wait until my contract is over. :thumbsdown:

mattyh said:
I've looked into o2, and sadly they don't offer their normal packages in my area, so I'd have to go on their access package, £25+ a month plus costs to start with to do some work on my line... Too expensive I think!

I download/upload a fair bit through the night, since my connection is quite slow I prefer to do that stuff when I'm not at the PC :D

I'm currently paying Sky £40 a month for the privilege of not watching their TV (don't have time) plus broadband and phone - Too expensive now, so looking for an alternative.

Key factors;

"unlimited" usage (or night usage, as plusnet allow)
Reliability
Anytime phone (extra cost is OK)
Around £20 a month if possible! - Not asking much, I know!!

Why dont you just, get rid of tv package and keep phone + bb. Ive done that with them as they are fastest and most reliable provider in this area.

Bethere have been mentioned to me by lots of people for being "awesome" but I wanted to stick with sky as I may have tv again when circumstances change.

Bethere have been mentioned to me by lots of people for being "awesome"
Yup, they're good. Now if only they did a FTTC service....

snip... have a scheme whereby you receive, not a one-off discount, but a continuing discount off your bill (typically 2% for each member introduced) forevermore - as long as the introduced member remains a paying member. You can intro as many as you like. You do the math :D

...snip:

Don't know where you got the idea plusnets discount was a 'one-off' it too is a continuing one and also allows multi signups, to the extent where they can be paying you each month.
HTH HAND etc lol

hello all,

I really hate Plusnet, i have been with them for 21 months now and up
until March of this year all seamed ok (a bit Slow) but ok i suppose. Then
end of march came and plusnet billed me more than what they should of
done. So, ok but here is the issue i had with them. It took them almost 4
weeks bar a few days for them to refund me. Then to make it worse for me
they did it once again the next month, even after saying all was ok and my
billing structure had been adjusted to the correct amount. Then they did
it a 3rd time. This time their excuse was "Ahh, your in a market 2 area so
the prices on our website would be a little higher, as the exchange is a
little more rural." Nowhere on the website (that I was told about) did it
say anything about market 1,2 and 3. Nore was I told during the upgrade
call. But i told them that i was not told about any price hike due to
exchange type or location. I even asked what the price would be and they
confirmed it would be set at £25 plus VAT. But there excuse was "Ahh well
that’s the price like it or lump it" nice customer service huh.....NOT!

Then to top it all off they cut my speeds down from a healthy 6.5 meg down
and 844kbps up to 1.5 meg (at its best) and 512Kbps down (How strangely
close to a dispute). So i phoned in with a fault and they started to blame
me, my hardware and then BT. So a PSTN engineer was dispatched to repair a
none existent fault, no fault was found (Well not any that would effect my
BB service). So i phoned very angry that plusnet are failing to help me
and get my BB working again, as after all i use it to run my business. So
an order (on my advice to them, which plusnet thought was a good idea) was
placed to have an upgrade from ADSL Max to ADSL2+ for a week later. We are
now on the 21st of April 2011 and the engineer is at the exchange changing
me over onto ADSL2+. That very same morning my phone service and broadband
went at 11.30am (Peak time for my business) so no inbound or outbound
calls could be made. Also my BB was cut off as well, but plusnet said “You
wouldn’t notice the change.” Anyway we are now on the morning of the 22nd
of April 2011, baring in mind Easter bank holiday is looming over us, and
I still have no BB connection. So I phoned in to plusnet support and they
told me, “An engineer had identified a faulty peace of hardware at the
exchange, which needed to be replaced in order for service to be
restored!.” I was also told in the same phone call “That we would not be
able to send an engineer out, until after the bank holiday. But if you pay
an extra £9.99 per month enhanced care plan (min 12 month contract –
another money spinner for them) we could get one out to you today with 2
to 4 hours” I of caurse said “no I wouldn’t pay you any more money as your
not helping me now let alone me paying more.”. You would think as this has
now been in action for 3 weeks, and that i have a business line, the least
they could of done was offered me this package free for 6 months. But no
Plusnet said “Im afraid BT don’t work during bank holidays for normal end
users, so you will have to wait”. They wouldn’t even offer me a backup
like a 3G dongle, so I could at the very least do some work.

Im not at all happy with Plusnet or their customer services for that
matter I intend to release a video review on plusnet on youtube.com which
I understand is one of their major advertising partners. I think plusnet
are technically dumb, customer care stupid and PR obsessed. An example of
the monkeys at work can be found here
http://www.asa.org.uk/ASA-action/Adjudications/2011/1/PlusNet-plc/TF_ADJ_49655.aspx

If you are looking for a good old rant, or if you’re thinking of joining
plusnet and want to read more at what they are truly like. Then forget the
ads you hear on the TV and radio. Come and see what these horrendously bad
monkey tapping animals at plusnet are really like for us paying customers.
Please visit www.ihateplusnet.blog.co.uk

I currently pay between £70 to £90, for these crap call centre monkeys!

Do you expect usernames like “sunkmonkey” to be associated with Plusnet,
well I can tell you they are. Check this out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y3RSEh3bTs titled “Plusnet Team B Karting”
– there driving is as bad and slow as their services too.

Maybe all Plusnets CSC and Faults team agents / systems are all Ganger /
Scunk smoking monkeys!. Well everyone is willing to take on your business
and your cash!. But post services and customer service leads much to be
desired.

Hope you enjoyed this read as much as I enjoyed posting this honest review
of this horrendous ISP (Plusnet).

--
Warmest Regards
landman

I have been with IDNET for over 3 yrs now,great service.:)(y)

To update this... I've taken a risk with them, so we shall see. I had my own router, so I'll only have to pay £25 to cancel within the first twelve months, so if worse comes to the worst, I can always switch again to someone else.

Time will tell I guess - I'll keep this thread updated as time goes on

If you're not on LLU then Plusnet are basically the best you can get (bang for buck).

We're with them after leaving O2 and their truly diabolical Access service.

No issues so far (6months in) aside from the aforementioned BT exchange issue that affected a whole heap of people.

I've flipped between A&A or Be (LLU) and Virgin Media (Cable) depending on where I've lived over the past 5-6 years and whilst I had a brief affair with Plusnet, it was just that, very brief. Took significantly longer than expected to get service activated, despite BT actually turning up the line very quickly, and SNR was abysmal but they were unable or unwilling to raise faults to Openreach so that would get sorted.

I moved the line over to A&A who fixed things very promptly. They're not cheap but you're getting what you pay for and Adrian takes obvious and blatant line faults seriously and will keep at it until resolved.

Ah shucks, accidental CTRL+R caused a double-post. My apologies, if a friendly Moderator is around who wants to hoover this up that'd be grand.

Last edited:
Back