Polaroid obsession

ped

Edit My Images
Yes
Well, I think I am a bit crazy when it comes to collecting gear. Most of you have seen my collection of Braun Paxette kit go from one body and lens to 3 bodies and 11 lenses, and now I have most of the bits of my Polaroid 450, too.

I found a box of Hi-Power Flashcubes on eBay, and also buy my film from there in bulk. I also got the cable release, close-up kit (snaps over the viewfinder and there's a filter on the lens) and cloud filter. I have cleaned up the camera and fixed the development timer and adapted the back so it takes the new Fuji film.

Here's an iPhone pic of the gear.

6629485801_0d0b43e88e.jpg

I really enjoy using the camera. I don't have a scanner at the moment so I'm placing the shots on backgrounds and taking pictures of the pictures. Here are some examples:

5690963538_a2f41584f6.jpg

6338018827_1648e49316.jpg

6347539441_2fd4bf8634.jpg

5690389691_0340a3043e.jpg

6568538863_1afabfe494.jpg

I think I have shown some of these pics before though.. but never mind.

Cheers
ped

I really like how you set these up and I really like the quality you are getting from the Polaroid.
However because of your obsession with the Paxette I am now collecting Voigtlander Bessamatic gear at a ridiculous rate and keeping it in a lovely aluminium case......:bang: :D

Andy

I to have a Polaroid obsession I have a square shooter landcamera.

Currently in the search for a Fuji Instax

Looking forward to seeing the Bessa gear Andy...

Eric, I like the look of the Instax.. the Piano Black model in particular is something I have toyed with for ages. Not sure if I really like the shape much though but I think I would have to get my hands on one. It looks quite comfortable.

I've got a 350 (I think, it might be a 340) and they are really fun to use. Out of interest how good is the portrait adaptor, the standard close focus is a bit long for my tastes but I know from experience some of these close up filters are questionable at best

I think you have a 450 as I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a picture of it here.

The close up filter looks great, I'll post a picture taken with it ASAP. It now close focuses to about half an arms length.

Looking forward to seeing the Bessa gear Andy...

Eric, I like the look of the Instax.. the Piano Black model in particular is something I have toyed with for ages. Not sure if I really like the shape much though but I think I would have to get my hands on one. It looks quite comfortable.

I've read some great things about the Instax 210 (the bigger of the Instax series) I just wanted something quite compact that is easy to carry around, my square shooter is a shoe box size :LOL:

Whoops

eBay has cost me dearly this evening.

For the 450 I just bought some Impossible Sepia, Chocolate and Blue shade film.

Then I bought an absolutely mint supercolour 1000 body,

IMG_5658.jpg

Some ND filters, two flashbars and some Impossible Black Frame silvershade

SS-image-2011-03-31-4d944f06c57aa.jpg

...And Gold Frame Silvershare film.

1545_04.jpg

Can't wait to try this all out! Got some ideas for the black frame stuff... some contrasty snow pics in Sweden.

Last edited:
As i said, i'm 17 :p

Either really (hint - both ;)), i don't think i've ever seen anyone with a Polaroid. Obviously i've heard of them, but i was raised on disposables and then we just had digital compacts to share around. No idea how they actually work :)

Haha fair enough.

They are both quite similar, the difference being that the 1000 ejects the exposed shot from the front and the 450 you pull out from the side and peel the print from its backing.

These two have electric metering so its pretty much point and shoot. The 450 you set the film speed, choose exposure adjustment with the dial around the lens if desired, plug flash in if you like/need, look through VF and focus. Squeeze the trigger and the iris opens with a click and closes just after. The flash pops fizzes and smokes. All very satisfying.

Pull out the tab which exposes the film tab which you also pull, wait 30 secs (or more, depending on film/temp) and peel away.

The 1000 is even easier, bung in a film pack and remove the slide that it will eject (called a dark slide). Point and click. Picture comes out. Plug in flashbar if desired. Shield emerging pic from the light (put upside down on a table etc) and then have a look after a few mins!!

It's good fun and a refreshing angle on photography. It feels so different to the stuff I normally do and fun for a whole different reason.

Hope that helps
Cheers

Last edited:
Its 2am and at this time of the morning, this kind of thread makes me want a polaroid again! I remember pestering my parents to get one but they wouldn't so had to settle for playing with various aunts, uncles and neighbours. There was nothing quite so pleasing as waiting for that image to appear :love:

Haha. Yeah it's fun alright. Unpredictable, easy and satisfying. I just got some print storage cartons from Impossible which are a neat way to store prints in addition to my portfolio album of 6x4 B+W prints from 35mm rangefinders or the R-D1!

:eek: Mr Yv just told me we have a polaroid camera at work that renault sent through as part of some promotion or other many years ago. I didn't even know it was there but might have to pop to the office tomorrow and go digging around in the back of the cupboards. :LOL:

What portrait kit is it you have?
Is it the close up or the portrait lens?

Looks great up close.

I love shooting instant film in the RB (it will probably be the bulk of my film 52), but it'd be great to have one of the pack film Land cameras (like the 450). Something that would completely fill the paper.

There's an ugly ol' Instax in a local charity shop. It's been there for about a year. Looks like something designed as part of a Fisher-Price playset.

My friend got me an Instax for my birthday this year! It's hit and miss whether the photos will actually come out so it is an expensive camera to play with :)

Fingers crossed I get this job I have a second interview for next week, I have my eye on a land camera they have in the gift shop of the Open Eye gallery here in town!

Instant film is fun (I shoot Fuji FP in a Polaroid 600SE beast camera) but I always seem to give the photos away. If only the film could be cheaper...

Holy Moly the film is expensive, but I so want to play! It seems we are the, ahem, 'proud' owners of a Polaroid 'The Button' model. It still has a film cartridge in it, with 4 prints left, but of course the battery is is flatter than a steam rollered pancake :(

I am guessing Impossible via fleabay is the best route for film?

Excellent! It depends on what you want. I found the gold frame stuff at 'the photographers gallery' in London.

Although its expensive, it's kind of worth it because you have so much more than just a print each time :)

Show us the pics please!!

Here is the item found lurking in a cupboard..

ad5ac2f57588fce381f3265b0f2d4796_large.jpg

Seems to be in quite good condition, will carefully clean the rollers and general gubbins before putting new film in, but it isn't particularly dusty or dirty despite being boxless, as that cupboard is very rarely opened.

Last edited:
Holy Moly the film is expensive, but I so want to play!

I got Fuji FP-100C from 7dayshop for £6.29 for 10 exposures, which works out at 62p a shot. It's not cheap at all, but I reckon the cost of each photo I take on medium format adds up to more then that, and instant photography is a very fun thing to shoot occasionally!

Somewhere I've got a huge Polaroid rangefinder from the early 60s, complete with a bespoke leather briefcase. Pretty sure you can't get film for it nowadays though......

I got Fuji FP-100C from 7dayshop for £6.29 for 10 exposures, which works out at 62p a shot. It's not cheap at all, but I reckon the cost of each photo I take on medium format adds up to more then that, and instant photography is a very fun thing to shoot occasionally!

I did have a quick look there, but nothing that fits older style cameras, or not that I can make fit anyway.

Indeed, it makes each photo a real occasion!

Yvonne - looking forward to seeing some pictures. What film are you going to try?

ped

Well, after some reading round last night, I have decided to start with the Impossible PX-70 Colour Shade. There is some old polaroid stock available on ebay but given even the later stuff is now several years out of date, even if the print part is still ok, I don't know enough about this kind of thing to be sure the power in the cartridge would still work. The old stock is a few pounds more expensive, with no guarantees, so decided that the Impossible film is a better bet and its experimental nature more my thing anyway. Sound sensible?

In instant film stakes thats cheap. Really cheap.

If you're relying on High Street development, 62p/shot isn't too bad when compared to 120 format colour negative.

£4-£5/roll to buy, £1-£4 to develop/developl&scan.. you're at £5-£9 before you print it, and 8-12 shots per roll you've got to be a pretty canny shopper to stay cheaper than instant film at £6-£10 a box. Or developing and scanning yourself.

However.. Impossible Project film at £15-£20 for 8 exposures.. that's some serious dedication..

...the 450 you pull out from the side and peel the print from its backing.

I was given a Polaroid camera by a relative when I was a child, back in the days when I was still using a 110 camera (many moons ago). I recall the film being horrendously expensive and the print had to be peeled off as you describe, but the camera didn't look like the one you showed in an earlier post - I've no idea what model it was to be honest.

Yvonne - indeed, that's why I purchased a Land Camera that was compatible with the instant film that Fujifilm still produce, rather than the heinously expensive Impossible Project film.

You'll want to be careful using that word around here ;):D

Careful? I have a ban hammer and THAT user title :LOL: :D

Seriously though, my collection of film cameras is bigger than my digital collection, I just don't use them often enough. Dark rooms do nothing for me, been there done that, so when I do shoot film, its straight off to my mate that owns a snappy snaps [and the appropriate mates rates on developing]. I admit that despite growing up with no choice but to use film, I like the immediacy of digital [yes I know, bloody heathen], so I guess it could be said that Polaroid IS the digital addicts ideal film, albeit as a special treat at those prices :LOL:

Back