Polaroid obsession

Yvonne - indeed, that's why I purchased a Land Camera that was compatible with the instant film that Fujifilm still produce, rather than the heinously expensive Impossible Project film.

IF I enjoy this experience, and will use it more often, then that might be an option, but will be back for advice on that at a later date (y)

Here we go.....

cc7846df.jpg

79c2153a.jpg

I think Graham's doorstop is an 800 model that used to use a type of instant film on a roll. Apparently they used to be converted to use either regular 120 format rolls or film packs.

I think Graham's doorstop is an 800 model that used to use a type of instant film on a roll. Apparently they used to be converted to use either regular 120 format rolls or film packs.

Yup, it's an 850, that seemingly used Type 47 rollfilm. I seem to remember reading somewhere that when new it cost what would be about £1500 in today's money :nuts:

Well the thing is once the bellows are fully extended it is quite a large camera IMO.

That is one BIG beast! :eek: :LOL: During my reading round, I saw mention of the roll films, which made me wonder how it worked? I know this might sound dim, but what happened after a picture was taken? Did it spit it out and you tore it off like a till receipt, or did you have to wait until the roll was finished and unload the lot? :shrug:

Anyway, ninja postman tried delivering my film yesterday but despite us being at home and having 2 dogs, we apparently couldn't sign for it, so off shortly to collect from post office. Got to nip into london later, so maybe, just maybe I might post my first effort with a polaroid this evening, as london is ripe for the odd pic.

Fingers crossed it all still works ;)

Excellent! My film came yesterday but the camera is coming from S/Korea so will take a few days yet.

What film did you go for in the end? I have the 600ASA PX600 silvershade gold edition. I'll use it with a UV filter.

Cheers

OK, initial results are in!

I was actually testing 2 cameras today, the polaroid, using Impossible PX-70 Colour Shade and the Fuji X100 digital pack of gorgeousness I have borrowed for a few days.

The hardest part of the picture taking operation is sheilding them from th elight as they left the camera and created a few blotches on them initially by holding the shield against the print too hard. However, got that sorted and now they have had time to 'mature', the blotches are almost none existent.

The next issue was developing time. I know they are not instant, but I don't think the chill in London helped and it was taking about half an hour to go from a wholly blue coloured exposure, to something that had some colour. I know from reading round about this film, they can improve even more over 24hrs, so we shall see

The first picture was taken about 20mins after the polaroid snap was taken. The other one I just took at home and the difference is obvious. I love the inbuilt aged effect, although no idea if this is how it is meant to be, or just user error on my part. A couple have small areas with lumps missing, which again, might the nature of the film, or I did something wrong, although they were the ones that I was far more careful with and only held the thick edge, so possibly an actual print fault. :shrug:

double camera test by Yvonne White - WhiteGoldImages, on Flickr

double camera test by Yvonne White - WhiteGoldImages, on Flickr

I loved taking the pictures, though you do feel a bit daft taking out the camera, in the middle of london with all the tourist points and shoots around you :LOL:

3 more exposures in this pack and they are destined for a trip to Hampstead for some nice architecture. (y)

Using the card cover that ejects from the pack when you first load it - I have quite small hands that wouldn't do much sheilding - I tried it on the one looking down the thames path, and dropped the bloody thing :bonk: :LOL: SO back to the black card.

I can understand the addiction though, just the clonky whirry sounds after pressing the shutter is like a concerto to a violinist ;)

The more I see and read the more I want. I had one when I was a kid, not sure which model, and I'd forgotten how fantastic they are. Mmmm research and hunting is required i think.

Andy

I'm hooked on instant...

.. but I need something that fills the frame.. ..

If I can make the film meet, I'll certainly be dragging round the RB with a couple of P-backs..

I'm hooked on instant...
.. but I need something that fills the frame.. ..

If I can make the film meet, I'll certainly be dragging round the RB with a couple of P-backs..

That's what happens when you mess around with MF, get yourself a nice 5x4 and a polaroid 550 back and there's none of the crazy black edgeness any more (y)

That's what happens when you mess around with MF, get yourself a nice 5x4 and a polaroid 550 back and there's none of the crazy black edgeness any more (y)

:love:

But.. how much is that going to set me back? :naughty:

Andysnap said:
The more I see and read the more I want. I had one when I was a kid, not sure which model, and I'd forgotten how fantastic they are. Mmmm research and hunting is required i think.

Andy

I still think the best bet is the cameras that take Fuji pack film (100). It's the only reasonably priced, well performing instant film on the market now IMO.

All my stuff has arrived now except the camera. Flashbars are popping with the excitement.

I think I had better buy a mini fridge for my film at the weekend. At the moment I have 10 boxes of FP3000b, three packs of impossible pack film (sepia,choc,blue) and two packs of PX for the 1000 (silver shade gold border and black border)

Had to eat all my food to make room for my obsession. I'm going to sleep in the garden soon to make room for my next purchases.

OK so my camera (the white square lens one) is waiting at customs and should be here this week... however I found a mint condition 500 for sale just down the road so went for it. I've tried it with the gold frame B+W film and it's superb. I even tried fitting the ND filter and practiced removing the film pack after taking a couple of shots (OK so I forgot to attach the filter and had to remove it!)

I'll upload some shots later but here's an iPhone pic of the camera...

6751294483_4600c7b39b.jpg

I think I'll also buy one of the 'The Button' ones and then have them on a shelf looking all cool 8)

Cheers
ped

Last edited:
Ped's prints are wonderful. That's lots of film collected! I've got a variety of film cameras including a Land Camera identical to Yvonne {moderator}. The only one that I know definitely works is my Polaroid 600. I've just bought some special edition Impossible Project film, black & white with black frames & colour film with gold frames. I'm still to experiment with it properly, but I'm looking forward to ittt.

Last edited:
Well the square lens version arrived! I've put impossible frog tongues in both to shade the pic when it leaves the camera. Works really well. Brown one is loaded with silver shade gold frame and white one with colour gold frame. Best thing is that with flashbar removed the camera fits perfectly into the second slot in my camera insert in my bag so I can carry one alongside my ever present R-D1 or paxette - or carry both with diff film!

Will share some shots soon!

Last edited:
Hope you don't mind me asking mate but how much would you say was a good price for these cameras nowadays?

Cheers

Andy

I have an Instax 200, bulky and odd design. But I love the results and the fun !

But what Polaroid models take the Fuji instant films?

I have an Instax 200, bulky and odd design. But I love the results and the fun !

But what Polaroid models take the Fuji instant films?

Anything that takes 100-packfilm. See The Land List for details.

I apologise for interrupting but I have a question & it's probably not worth creating an entire new thread for.

I was experimenting with my Polaroid 600 last week & every shot came out entirely out of focus but they were fairly close to the subject. I know these aren't manual cameras but is there a technique to getting a better focused photograph on an instant print? I didn't want to waste sheets of film on out of focus shots without seeking further advice first. I'd be grateful if anyone could offer advice on what effects the focus? Thank you.

No probs this is a free for all! With my 450 I focus like a rangefinder and it's very sharp. My box type 500 and 1000 style ones are fixed focus from 4ft to infinity do I can't do close ups.

There's a FAQ section on the impossible site that may be helpful.

@ped Oh, thank you very much. It might be the same case as your box type 500/1000 style cameras, with the fixed focus. I'll have a little experiment tmrw & see what happens when I don't frame my shots as close.

Back