Portraits from Varanasi, India

Name
Phil Marion
Edit My Images
No
I had the good fortune to spend a week in the holy city of Varanasi on the banks of the Ganges - took a ton of photos.

laundry lady laying out saris to dry on the ghat steps in Varanasi, India on the banks of the Ganges River
by Phil Marion, on Flickr

Children selling samosas and snacks - Varanasi backstreets

Hindu ritual - Varanasi (Ganges River)

resident in the winding backstreets of Varanasi, India

Tibetan Monks visiting Varanasi

Varanasi, India

If you want more then plenty can be viewed by clicking HERE

Looks like a great place to visit, I love the last ... thanks for sharing :)

Lovely colourful moments/pictures captured.

thanks everyone....If you want more then plenty can be viewed by clicking HERE

Excellent set of images. The colours are so vibrant. Last one for me as a favourite.

Last edited:
Fantastic set Phil.

I'm always nervous about taking pictures of people in their day to day surroundings but yours are great to be honest. Did you ask permission or just take the pics. I managed A week travelling through India and your photos bring back so many memories thanks I'll have to dig mine out and post a few

Thanks

Chris

Last edited:
Great shots, really captured the atmosphere of the place. Number two is my favourite.

What I like of the first set you posted is that you got up close and personal. There is an element of interaction to them. An element of interest between the subject and yourselves. That makes to me a huge difference between just some snapshot in the street and an interesting photographs. Loving the portraits. Well done.

A beautiful collection of photos. Varanasi is my favorite city in India and I myself will be heading there again in a few weeks. Such a crazy, exciting, place. so much to see and do.... and the bl**dy cows, they're everywhere.

If you ever go back there, try to do so during Deepawali, the whole of the ghats are lit up using tiny earthen lamps called Diyas. Magical.

Cracking images. India offers up so much to the photographer at every turn, would love to go back armed with the camera for a meander on the trains.

All really nice captures and Echo Gramps comments about last one

Very nice shots, I hope I visit India one day

Really enjoyed looking at the set on Flickr - thanks for sharing.

Great travel photos with wonderful characters. Magazine material!

Lovely set of travel photos which capture the atmosphere of the place. My favourite is number 2 as I like the visual balance of the children faces with the tray of food.

I certainly like your eye and your renditions.
Great story telling, very entertaining and
always the human factor. Respect!

Last edited:
Back