Possible change to Micro 4/3

I’m just Switching to Fuji with the XT1 & XT2, currently supported by the 23mm f2 and the 100-400mm f4.5-5.6. I also have a Gripped Olympus Pen-F and EM-1 mkII supported by the 30mm f3.5 Macro, 75mm f1.8, 12-100mm f4 Pro Lens and the 40-150mm f2.8 Pro Lens with 1.4 t/c.

Both Systems are easy to carry for an all day shoot, the weight is negligible compared to you current Canon set-up. If your seriously looking to move over to the Micro side, drop me a line or watch the classifieds as my m4/3 gear will be giving someone a Super Christmas Present in the coming weeks.

Thanks Gandalf. I’m hoping to go and look st the cameras in the next few days. Just been looking at Mike Inkley rugby photos, very impressive.

Hi everyone
I’ve been into Camera Centre UK in Cardiff today and had a feel of the Olympus cameras. The OM-D EM1 mk1 and ll and OM-DM10 mk ll. They really felt great and he put a 40-150mm 2.8 lens on them. Much lighter than my Canon set up. However, he kept showing me the OM-D EM5 mkll. I must admit it was nice to have the vari tilt screen/viewfinder but is he trying to sell me this particular model for a negative reason?
I then went over to Cameraland to try out the Panasonic. I must admit the look and feel of the G80 and G9 was nice especially with the grip like my Canon7D but I was getting very confused with the model numbers.
Are the specs of DMC Gx 80 and the DMC GX8 very similar? Obviously the DC G9 is top spec which was lovely but I think Ian my husband would get more benefit out of that unless I can pick one up second hand?
I also mentioned the 100-300mm lens and maybe put it on an Olympus body, the chap looked at me stupid and said that would not be a good match. I can’t see a problem with this so he unnerved me a bit. I’m going to take hubby in on the weekend to have s look but I wish I had thought of making the leap to M4/3 ages ago. Thank you for all your helpful comments. I’m now starting to search on second hand sites as well as special offers leading up to Black Friday.
Oh and forgot to say earlier that in Camera Centre they first tried to persuade me (very nicely I must say) to go Sony or Canon.

Last edited:
This is what I did, I borrowed the OM-D E5 MkII and purchased one along with the 12-40mmPro lens and love it. I have major neck issues and find that I’m taking my camera out with me far more since getting my Olympus, I’m also very impressed with fast af!

I must admit I quite liked this camera when I held it earlier today

Hi everyone
I’ve been into Camera Centre UK in Cardiff today and had a feel of the Olympus cameras. The OM-D EM1 mk1 and ll and OM-DM10 mk ll. They really felt great and he put a 40-150mm 2.8 lens on them. Much lighter than my Canon set up. However, he kept showing me the OM-D EM5 mkll. I must admit it was nice to have the vari tilt screen/viewfinder but is he trying to sell me this particular model for a negative reason?
I then went over to Cameraland to try out the Panasonic. I must admit the look and feel of the G80 and G9 was nice especially with the grip like my Canon7D but I was getting very confused with the model numbers.
Are the specs of DMC Gx 80 and the DMC GX8 very similar? Obviously the DC G9 is top spec which was lovely but I think Ian my husband would get more benefit out of that unless I can pick one up second hand?
I also mentioned the 100-300mm lens and maybe put it on an Olympus body, the chap looked at me stupid and said that would not be a good match. I can’t see a problem with this so he unnerved me a bit. I’m going to take hubby in on the weekend to have s look but I wish I had thought of making the leap to M4/3 ages ago. Thank you for all your helpful comments. I’m now starting to search on second hand sites as well as special offers leading up to Black Friday.
Oh and forgot to say earlier that in Camera Centre they first tried to persuade me (very nicely I must say) to go Sony or Canon.

Of course, they're on commission to try sell the latest and greatest, the Sony A7III or the new Canon EOS R, both of which are twice the price of the G9 let alone any cheaper M43 options!

When comparing Olympus to Panasonic you could match the up likes this:

OMD em10 mkII/III - Panasonic GX80
OMD EM5 mkII or EM1 mk1 - Panasonic G80
EM1 mkII - Panasonic G9 or GH5

There is no issue using the Panasonic 100-300 on Olympus bodies whatsoever. SO no idea what he was at there. He maybe just wants you to buy the pricier Olympus 40-150 pro [which is a lovely lens, only you can say whether you can afford or need it] The only reason a camera store would try push you to the em5 mkII is if you were insistent on one of the cheaper models. When deciding between this model and the G80 I went with the Panasonic because I prefer a chunkier grip, I also much prefer the menu layout on Panasonic [I did have the original em5 mk1 beforehand] and well, I got a juicier deal on the G80 at the time. There was cash back both from the store and from Panasonic at the time. The em5 mkII is a nice camera, just for me I found the mk1 of it a bit 'slippery' in hand over time, though you can get a grip for them.

Last edited:
...I also mentioned the 100-300mm lens and maybe put it on an Olympus body, the chap looked at me stupid and said that would not be a good match....
The guy was talking out of his arse.
All m4/3rds lenses work well on all m4/3rds bodies, with some make-specific tweaks that kinda suit certain models for certain lenses but it is a small issue.
For me the big issue is Olympus colours being nicer than Panasonic's : especially in Jpegs and especially in older models,
and Panasonic doesn't have the VF-4 viewfinder which is ace if you like looking down into the camera.

@fido18

I am in a position to comment on both the Olympus 5 mkII and the Panasonic G9 having owned both cameras in the past

The 5 mkII was a lovely camera which got me into m4/3, it was a lovely camera to learn with and the only reason I eventually parted with it was because it was a little to small for me, didn’t put a grip on it. The G9 was a beast of a camera and to be honest I still wonder if I did the right thing parting with it. However I couldn’t get on with the no half press on the shutter button as it was so sensitive. I did eventually set up back button focusing and this helped but when I was choosing between keeping the G9 or EM-1 mkII if was the G9 that went.

If you want to chat about my Olympus gear then feel free to pm me.

The guy was talking out of his arse.
All m4/3rds lenses work well on all m4/3rds bodies, with some make-specific tweaks that kinda suit certain models for certain lenses but it is a small issue.
For me the big issue is Olympus colours being nicer than Panasonic's : especially in Jpegs and especially in older models,
and Panasonic doesn't have the VF-4 viewfinder which is ace if you like looking down into the camera.

Thank you. I thought he was but didn’t like to say it Incase I was wrong!!

Thank you. I thought he was but didn’t like to say it Incase I was wrong!!

He could have at least elaborated on why it might be better on a Pany body. And this would really only apply to the MKII 100-300, where you can take advantage of dual image stabilization between the lens and body. Otherwise either the mk1 or II will still benefit from IBIS on Olympus bodies, and will perform just as good.

Of course, they're on commission to try sell the latest and greatest, the Sony A7III or the new Canon EOS R, both of which are twice the price of the G9 let alone any cheaper M43 options!

When comparing Olympus to Panasonic you could match the up likes this:

OMD em10 mkII/III - Panasonic GX80
OMD EM5 mkII or EM1 mk1 - Panasonic G80
EM1 mkII - Panasonic G9 or GH5

There is no issue using the Panasonic 100-300 on Olympus bodies whatsoever. SO no idea what he was at there. He maybe just wants you to buy the pricier Olympus 40-150 pro [which is a lovely lens, only you can say whether you can afford or need it] The only reason a camera store would try push you to the em5 mkII is if you were insistent on one of the cheaper models. When deciding between this model and the G80 I went with the Panasonic because I prefer a chunkier grip, I also much prefer the menu layout on Panasonic [I did have the original em5 mk1 beforehand] and well, I got a juicier deal on the G80 at the time. There was cash back both from the store and from Panasonic at the time. The em5 mkII is a nice camera, just for me I found the mk1 of it a bit 'slippery' in hand over time, though you can get a grip for them.

Thank you so much you have really put it in simple terms for me and it is now so much clearer. I did like the grip on the Panasonic but the guy didn’t really help to sell it to me!

As the others have said ANY Olympus and Panasonic lenses bodies will mix and match , jan uses the omd.10 mkii and a Panasonic mk1 100-300 , and gets stunning results , I did tell you what would happen though . Will repeat the others mornings exercise tomorrow LOL .

These salesmen are are talking out of there backsides honestly . .

As the others have said ANY Olympus and Panasonic lenses bodies will mix and match , jan uses the omd.10 mkii and a Panasonic mk1 100-300 , and gets stunning results , I did tell you what would happen though . Will repeat the others mornings exercise tomorrow LOL .

These salesmen are are talking out of there backsides honestly . .

I deliberately asked the question about mixing body and lens because of what you had mentioned on the phone. Has Jan’s Olympus body got a built in flash please? As I can’t remember seeing one on the EM 1 or EM 5? I think I would really miss a built in flash. I’m leaning at the moment towards Panasonic G80 and Olympus 40-150 2.8.

Yes it has , I don’t think the EM1.2 has though? . The g80 has flash it’s a better all round camera to ,forget the em5 it’s not fast enough for your needs

Has Jan’s Olympus body got a built in flash please? As I can’t remember seeing one on the EM 1 or EM 5? I think I would really miss a built in flash. I’m leaning at the moment towards Panasonic G80 and Olympus 40-150 2.8.

Neither the Olympus EM1ii or EM5ii have built in flashes, but they are shipped with a very compact little flash that you can tilt.

Yes it has , I don’t think the EM1.2 has though? . The g80 has flash it’s a better all round camera to ,forget the em5 it’s not fast enough for your needs

Ok I think that’s the way I’ll go then. The G80 body and then look at two lenses. Possibly one like Jan’s and maybe the Olympus smaller lens.Thanks Jeff

I have never once used the flash on the G80, had the em5 a while back too and never used the provided little flash for that either. It's off-cam flash or none for me. With a lens like the 40-150 pro the onboard flash will be useless anyway, most of it hitting the lens itself

Thank you. I hadn’t thought of it hitting the lens. I must be honest I hardly ever use flash but it’s just something I’ve had and just thought I should have it again. One last thing to help me would a second hand G7 or G8 be a better buy than the G80?

Thank you. I hadn’t thought of it hitting the lens. I must be honest I hardly ever use flash but it’s just something I’ve had and just thought I should have it again. One last thing to help me would a second hand G7 or G8 be a better buy than the G80?

You can get neat little hot-shoe flash units from the likes of Godox [TT350o] for cheap enough. These speed-lights are not only more powerful and effective, but you can direct or bounce them easier.

The G80 is better than the G7 and GX8 but they are still decent cameras. The G7 doesn't have IBIS, that would be the most significant difference.

No definetly not . They are biased towards video shooter#

You can get neat little hot-shoe flash units from the likes of Godox [TT350o] for cheap enough. These speed-lights are not only more powerful and effective, but you can direct or bounce them easier.

The G80 is better than the G7 and GX8 but they are still decent cameras. The G7 doesn't have IBIS, that would be the most significant difference.

Def the G80 then. Thanks for all your help.

I have the EM1.2, and as mentioned it doesn't have a built-in flash, it has a little separate flash unit you attach via the hot-shoe, but it swivels in all directions and you can easily bounce it off a wall or ceiling, it won't hit even the biggest lens if you point it up or to the side a little.

I have the EM1.2, and as mentioned it doesn't have a built-in flash, it has a little separate flash unit you attach via the hot-shoe, but it swivels in all directions and you can easily bounce it off a wall or ceiling, it won't hit even the biggest lens if you point it up or to the side a little.

How often do you use it? Wouldn't a cheap hot shoe flash be better still? I think you only get the swivel type flash extra with the Em1 mkII? With my old em5 it was a static flash, you couldn't direct it only close it down

How often do you use it? Wouldn't a cheap hot shoe flash be better still? I think you only get the swivel type flash extra with the Em1 mkII? With my old em5 it was a static flash, you couldn't direct it only close it down
I can confirm you get the same tilt and swivel compact flash with the Em5ii and Em1ii as I have both.

Mostly my flash gets left at home, but if I'm going out at night to a family party or something then I take the flash with me. I've also used it taking macro pics using it to fire off camera flash using a second cheap flash. .

I can confirm you get the same tilt and swivel compact flash with the Em5ii and Em1ii as I have both.

Mostly my flash gets left at home, but if I'm going out at night to a family party or something then I take the flash with me. I've also used it taking macro pics using it to fire off camera flash using a second cheap flash. .

Oh ok, they must have changed it after the em5 1, that flash was a bit useless. You could make or buy a little diffuser for it, but for better results an off cam or at least larger hot shoe flash will give better results

FWIW I occasionally use the pop up flash on my E-M10ii. I never used the add on flash that came with my E-PL5 despite dragging it around in the bag all the time.
Just push the lever up and you can fill in or get a shot in a dark room that wouldn't work otherwise.
It has all the inherent issue with on camera flash but I'm glad I have it.

I was in the same boat, all be it I’ve had the surgery now, I made the switch to the Olympus EM 1 MKII with the 300mm pro 7-14 and 40- 150 glass, the weight saving alone is something to be hold, I truly couldn’t believe how light it all was to carry, I’ve still got my canon 5d for a little Astro/night photography, as I can’t seem to get good image quality re night time shoots, however I’ve seem some amazing images re Astro work with the em 1 mkII, it’s obviously down to me and editing.
It takes a little getting use to re the menus etc however there not that bad at all and once you’ve used it several times it’s very easy to use, I’m very happy with the system.
All best with your back and the op.

I was in the same boat, all be it I’ve had the surgery now, I made the switch to the Olympus EM 1 MKII with the 300mm pro 7-14 and 40- 150 glass, the weight saving alone is something to be hold, I truly couldn’t believe how light it all was to carry, I’ve still got my canon 5d for a little Astro/night photography, as I can’t seem to get good image quality re night time shoots, however I’ve seem some amazing images re Astro work with the em 1 mkII, it’s obviously down to me and editing.
It takes a little getting use to re the menus etc however there not that bad at all and once you’ve used it several times it’s very easy to use, I’m very happy with the system.
All best with your back and the op.
Over the years I have tried moonshots with loads of cameras and lens combos , the best results I have ever had was a couple of weeks ago hand held with the g80 and 100-400 , the secret being the ability to 5 stops under expose to stop the whites blowing out on the moon .

Over the years I have tried moonshots with loads of cameras and lens combos , the best results I have ever had was a couple of weeks ago hand held with the g80 and 100-400 , the secret being the ability to 5 stops under expose to stop the whites blowing out on the moon .

That’s great I shall give it ago, thanks for the advise [emoji1360]

Just to throw something into the mix....

I recently viewed a video by Tony Northrop on Youtube about sports photography where he compared various mirrorless cameras....

The one that surprised me that came out on top was the Fuji XT3

Might be worth a look....

You can watch the video here

Just to throw something into the mix....

I recently viewed a video by Tony Northrop on Youtube about sports photography where he compared various mirrorless cameras....

The one that surprised me that came out on top was the Fuji XT3

Might be worth a look....

You can watch the video here

Tony Northrup also believes you need a $13K 600mm Nikon for wildlife, he's a clown. He's not a sports shooter either so I'm not sure why he even ran that test.

The XT3 is a great camera though no doubt, but Fuji lenses are pricier by comparison. I wouldn't be against this route but you'll pay a lot more for less reach. And because the cameras are so thin and lack decent grip, you'll want to factor in a grip also. If you decided to go Fuji, I would look at an XT2 - there's bugger all difference outside of better AF [XT with firmware has vastly improved since it's release] - better video specs, which are irrelevant here, and you don't require the grip for the boost mode. The XT2 is reported to actually have better ISO performance and can be got used for half the cost. You can also get third party XT2 grips now for 1/3rd the price of an official.

Last edited:
Good morning everyone
After having spent hours last night re pricing, new versus secondhand, it came out that the best deal is buying from Cameraland. A Panasonic G80 kit (inc 12-60mm lens) after £100 cashback is £649 but they give you free a 25mm f1.7lens.
That seems a good deal with something for nothing.
Ian and I are still discussing the telephoto lens! It’s either Panasonic 100-300mm for me to carry around taking general shots or the Olympus 45-150mm 2.8 for him to do rugby. The only thing with that is he will lose a little length compared to 70-200mm 2.8L IS II on the Canon 7D. Not sure if it will make much difference to be honest.
Decisions decisions!!
Another good bit of news was the quotes given online for my 70-200mm mark 1 was higher than I thought.
Once again thanks everyone for all your help.

Last edited:
Good morning everyone
After having spent hours last night re pricing, new versus secondhand, it came out that the best deal is buying from Cameraland. A Panasonic G80 kit (inc 12-60mm lens) after £100 cashback is £649 but they give you free a 25mm f1.7lens.
Ian and I are still discussing the telephoto lens! It’s either Panasonic 100-300mm for me to carry around taking general shots or the Olympus 45-150mm 2.8 for him to do rugby. The only thing with that is he will lose a little length compared to 70-200mm 2.8L IS II on the Canon 7D. Not sure if it will make much difference to be honest.
Decisions decisions!!
Another good bit of news was the quotes given online for my 70-200mm mark 1 was higher than I thought.
That is a very good deal, think I might be popping over the bridge this weekend!

Good morning everyone
Decisions decisions!!

He doesn't lose anything, 150mm on M43 is similar to 200mm on his APSC. Canon crop is 1.6x, so 200mm equiv would be 320mm, the Olympus does 300mm - 20mm is nothing. You can add a TC 1.4x later to get more reach, though the lens does become an F4 in that case.

Doubt it will make any difference, the Canon is 200 * 1.6 crop-factor = 320, the Olympus is 150 * 2 crop-factor = 300, hardly anything in it, and the Olympus 40-150 can take the 1.4 TC which makes it 420 equivalent. I have that lens and the TC and it's brilliant, no noticeable loss in image quality as far as I can see.

Well I’m now the proud owner of a new Panasonic G80 and the Olympus 40-150 pro lens. Thank you everyone for your helpful comments. Now to try and teach myself the new menu systems!!
Baby baby you have my private number , just give me a bell if you get stuck . .whatever you do keep the burst rate in menu set to medium .!!!

Well I’m now the proud owner of a new Panasonic G80 and the Olympus 40-150 pro lens. Thank you everyone for your helpful comments. Now to try and teach myself the new menu systems!!

Nice, enjoy :) Lovely combination IMO

Back