South-West England Possible Durdle Door/Lulworth Cove meet up?

Name
Si
Edit My Images
Yes
Hoping to be in the area and just posting in case there's anyone on here in the area that fancies a socially distanced evening/astro meet up at either of these locations over the next week or so?

Last edited:
Hoping to be in the area and just posting in case there's anyone on here in the area that fancies a socially distanced evening/night time meet up at either of these locations over the next week or so?

Is that not called Dogging Si ??? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Hoping to be in the area and just posting in case there's anyone on here in the area that fancies a socially distanced evening/astro meet up at either of these locations over the next week or so?

Possibly the latter end of next week. I'm off work Thursday and Friday (and obviously the weekend)

It'll be a two hour drive for me so I'll try to make a day/night/day of it if I can!

2.5 hours for me. the question is if I can get hold of a vehicle.
Been meaning to visit for a while.... do you know what the parking situation is like?

2.5 hours for me. the question is if I can get hold of a vehicle.
Been meaning to visit for a while.... do you know what the parking situation is like?

No. I've only ever done sunrise at Lulworth and Astro at Portland Bill with parking 'on site' in both cases. I think Lulworth allow overnight parking but not overnight camping. Durdle Door parking shuts before sunset I think!

No. I've only ever done sunrise at Lulworth and Astro at Portland Bill with parking 'on site' in both cases. I think Lulworth allow overnight parking but not overnight camping. Durdle Door parking shuts before sunset I think!

So where would we park? :thinking:

I might be able to make it in Friday by the looks of it. So I'd be interested in joining too.
Also we'd need clear skies....

So where would we park? :thinking:

I might be able to make it in Friday by the looks of it. So I'd be interested in joining too.
Also we'd need clear skies....

Ummmm. I guess it depends exactly where you want to go. Durdle Door might not be any good anyway with all the cruise ships anchored in the bay. I know we could see them from Weymouth, Worbarrow etc last summer. The western side of Weymouth is clear re cruise ships afaik.

Ummmm. I guess it depends exactly where you want to go. Durdle Door might not be any good anyway with all the cruise ships anchored in the bay. I know we could see them from Weymouth, Worbarrow etc last summer. The western side of Weymouth is clear re cruise ships afaik.

was actually hoping to shoot milky way at Durdle door....

are you saying that's not possible/sensible now?

Last edited:
Thanks Lee. I was going say you may we could even share/try lenses but looks like my new lens is going back :(
Now I do not have the 20G (teaches me for selling it to you prematurely) or 14GM :crying:

sorry OP for hijacking your thread a little. But we are still on topic ;)

Parking for Durdle Door is very expensive as it's part of the private estate that the beach belongs to (there's pretty much zero on-road parking within walking distance). It is likely to be pretty busyt if the weather is good too.

Parking for Durdle Door is very expensive as it's part of the private estate that the beach belongs to (there's pretty much zero on-road parking within walking distance). It is likely to be pretty busyt if the weather is good too.
How expensive?
I live in London, go on surprise me ;)

It seems to say No Overnight Sleeping rather than no overnight parking so a call MIGHT get a positive result if you explain that you'll be on the beach with a camera rather than kipping in the car. Can't see any prices for pitching a tent.

It seems to say No Overnight Sleeping rather than no overnight parking so a call MIGHT get a positive result if you explain that you'll be on the beach with a camera rather than kipping in the car. Can't see any prices for pitching a tent.

I wouldn't mind some shut eye in the car ;)
But it's not end of the world I guess as long as I can park there.

For the record the parking fee seems ok to me.... There are places in London where it's sometimes cheaper to pay the fine than pay for parking :p

They could make for an interesting foreground... :ROFLMAO:

To be fair, I am only guessing. I've not seen any milky way type images with them in the frame. Would probably be better taken from higher up though rather than at beach level.

I've actually got images in LR now of the milky way with the 20G!!

To be fair, I am only guessing. I've not seen any milky way type images with them in the frame. Would probably be better taken from higher up though rather than at beach level.

I've actually got images in LR now of the milky way with the 20G!!

Look forward to seeing them :)
I've still got the tamron 17-28mm. It's not as good as 20G but it'll do fine.

The question is where to go shoot astro :ROFLMAO:
I really want to do Durdle door with milky way.
Looking on Google earth milky way seems to show up in an excellent place right on top of the door itself.

Last edited:
Wow, not checked in for a couple of days and it's gone a bit crazy!

Car park is 9PM closing at Durdle Door itself. Not sure if you're about to stick around later.. The walk over from Lulworth Cove is a hard slog uphill and it's not much better on the way back. Looks like parking may be possible in West Lulworth which looks better than the walk from Lulworth Cove

Cruise ships are anchored over towards Weymouth and just provide a bit of gentle light onto the foreground and dont affect astro shooting as far as I can tell

Last edited:
sorry OP for hijacking your thread a little. But we are still on topic ;)

Dont worry about it - the more the merrier :)

If we manage to inspire folks to get out and about to meet outside in a safe manner to enjoy their hobby then great...

Last edited:
Wow, not checked in for a couple of days and it's gone a bit crazy!

Car park is 9PM closing at Durdle Door itself. Not sure if you're about to stick around later.. The walk over from Lulworth Cove is a hard slog uphill and it's not much better on the way back. Looks like parking may be possible in West Lulworth which looks better than the walk from Lulworth Cove

Cruise ships are anchored over towards Weymouth and just provide a bit of gentle light onto the foreground and dont affect astro shooting as far as I can tell

I google overnight parking for Durdle Door and funnily enough it the first hit was an old thread on this forum trying to do exactly this....

I imagine this is still possible?

Edit:

Looking at street view on google we can probably just park on the road/grass outside the parking lot.
I know its a bit cheeky but I seriously don't see anyone having a problem with that at 2-3am in the morning!

Last edited:
also important to keep an eye on the weather forecasts. at the moment Friday night or Saturday early morning seems to be the best bet.

Not sure what Dorset plod are like but I know that Devon & Cornwall have been VERY hot on illegal parking at all times of the day and night so if you do decide to risk it, on your own heads be it!

I will admit, as done to death as it is, I'd still like to get the MW at Durdle Door too.

The MW is pretty much directly south at the moment I think.

There is a little layby just up the main road from the campsite entrance but I'm not sure of the chances of finding any spaces there.....?!?

I've been to DD for a sunrise. There is some parking on the road, but not much. If several are meeting up then probably better to meet elsewhere, mask up and travel in 1 car. The walk is around a mile from the road.

Not sure what Dorset plod are like but I know that Devon & Cornwall have been VERY hot on illegal parking at all times of the day and night so if you do decide to risk it, on your own heads be it!

So someone is paying someone to go around at 3am and stick fines on cars in the middle of no where.

I will admit, as done to death as it is, I'd still like to get the MW at Durdle Door too.

The MW is pretty much directly south at the moment I think.

There is a little layby just up the main road from the campsite entrance but I'm not sure of the chances of finding any spaces there.....?!?

May be it's done to death but the feeling of printing your own shot is different.

And somethings don't go stale, the other shot I'd want is sunrise through the DD but that's only possible in December.

I've been to DD for a sunrise. There is some parking on the road, but not much. If several are meeting up then probably better to meet elsewhere, mask up and travel in 1 car. The walk is around a mile from the road.
Actually a very good idea. And if we are fined, assuming it's standard £60 like everywhere else it's only £20 per person :p

If everyone is thinking of the same place as me, then it is a gravel layby (albeit pretty small) rather than just a grass verge.

May be it's done to death but the feeling of printing your own shot is different.

And somethings don't go stale, the other shot I'd want is sunrise through the DD but that's only possible in December.

Yeah. I still shoot many shots that are super popular. There might be plenty of images around, but as you say, "I want my own" :)

Back