Post your best before and after processing

Just a bit of PS fun......

Church.jpg

Storm.jpg

A quick and dirty example of sky and water reflection replacement

bridge2.jpg

bridge1.jpg

This took about 10 minutes using only basic PS tools. Anyone wants a tutorial on how to do this without having to laboriously cut the sky out, let me know.

Formula 1 testing in valencia earlier this year....

Before

pic_1623.jpg

After

f1.jpg

I posted the method for sky replacement on this thread :

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=84334

To get the reflection, make a copy of your sky and flip it horizontally and it place it above your main layer. Change the blending mode to multiply. Roughly cut around the bits you don't want with the lasso tool, then, with the main layer selected, user Select>Color Range and use the eyedropper to select the green of the foliage above the water. Fiddle with the fuzziness until you get most of the green, click OK, select your reflection layer and delete. You may have to do this a couple of times with different colour ranges, green for leaves, brown for branches. Once you get the idea, it's a dawdle.

Hi iball - thanks for the guide on how to select trees (y)

Can I just clarify one or two things with you....(my Q's in bold after the bits I'm unsure of from your guide...)

Using a black brush, paint out the window frame and any other whites in the main image other than sky. Now using Select>Colour Range, select the whites on the image (on the 'select colour range' dialogue box that then appears, you have two options; Selection or Image - default is Selection! The sky area is actually black and the trees are white, which one do you mean?) and move the fuzziness slider until you've got the best match.(this bit threw me a bit...best match with what...? Moving the slider didn't seem to make any changes to anything on the image I was testing out the method on, and there was a slight colour fringeing on the leaves after Id deleted the sky from the main image...) Hit OK. Now you have an accurate mask of the skyline.

Thanks again..... ;)

It has to be these for me..

Before (8 shots looking a bit like this)
IMG_5037.jpg

After
m31final.jpg

Using a black brush, paint out the window frame and any other whites in the main image other than sky. Now using Select>Colour Range, select the whites on the image (on the 'select colour range' dialogue box that then appears, you have two options; Selection or Image - default is Selection! The sky area is actually black and the trees are white, which one do you mean?) and move the fuzziness slider until you've got the best match.(this bit threw me a bit...best match with what...? Moving the slider didn't seem to make any changes to anything on the image I was testing out the method on, and there was a slight colour fringeing on the leaves after Id deleted the sky from the main image...) Hit OK. Now you have an accurate mask of the skyline.

I don't have PS available at the mo, so this is from memory. Usage Image and use the eyedropper to select the white, which should be the sky and the bit you want to remove. The fuzziness slider will pick up the grey, which will be semi transparent and let you have a hard mask edge or a soft one. This is what I meant by the best match - for your image. You may need to try it a couple of times until you get the best edge for your pic. The fringing is due to having a soft edge which will 'feather' the delete on the edges of the leaves. There's no right or wrong way to do it. Each image is different. If you are doing this with an image for publication, the only way to get a really good edge is to use the pen tool, which will take a good bite out of your working day.

Post again if you need any clarification.

I feel ashamed posting these pics after seeing the stuff in here, some superb efforts :D

Ive only really got one Before and After set...

dazbefore.jpg

dazafter.jpg

Iam still learning, so I am really happy with this :D

Thread from the dead!!

Found this while doing a search, I like what I see... so lets see some more! :p

Gread thread (y):

I was really bored on this day!

Before:

david_before_tp.jpg

After:

david_after_tp.jpg

Last edited:
Very impressive work from everyone, I think I need a course in Light room to achieve the same results! Fav is the car on the 1st page, out of interest how long did it take in total to get the final pic?

Been back and forth to NYC on business and thought i would take the 5dII and used the 70-200 F4 IS..

Here is it..

IMG_3137-1.jpg

IMG_3137d-1.jpg

(Watermarked as in use)..

Feedback welcome.. :)

Liked when I first sore it Chris, now I see what it came from (y) (y) :D

When i took this shot i was more concerned about the fog than the boats and i cut the front end of the boat. Using photoshop i fixed it...

Before
fogbefore.jpg

After photoshop
FogAfter.jpg

Taken at a car show at the weekend, far too many people around to get any clear shots. Really liked the way the Cobra came out so I spent a couple of hours removing all the tyre kickers! Oh and the poor bloke at the back polishing it who actually owns this beast. :eek:s

Before;

5747721097_81fcb8083a_b.jpg

After;

5751806727_5d61bd3866_b.jpg

BenJiRa said:
Taken at a car show at the weekend, far too many people around to get any clear shots. Really liked the way the Cobra came out so I spent a couple of hours removing all the tyre kickers! Oh and the poor bloke at the back polishing it who actually owns this beast. :eek:s

Before;

After;

Excellent work! (y)

Back