Post your favourite Macro of 2009

• Thread starter Deleted member 3428
  • Start date
Seeing as this won the Digital Projected Round 1 at my camera club (20 out of 20, and has now been entered into the L&CPU Club Knockout)) a few weeks back, I suppose this must be my winning shot of the year so far...

Paul.

Great shots here, some high standards being set. :eek:

this year I got a "Highly commended" award in a photographic competition for one of my macro shots, which was the highlight of the year for me, although the shot was taken last year so does not technically qualify here.

This is my favourite shot this year, not because it is a technically perfect shot, but because it was damned difficult to get.

This male hoverfly had set up a territory and was displaying to attract a female by hovering and darting around. I followed him with the camera and he kept darting at me to try and scare me off, then hiding behind some plants to keep an eye on me. I must have taken 200 shots, if not more, of which only a few were in focus. This was the best one IMO.

Camera: Nikon D90
Exposure: 0.003 sec (1/320)
Aperture: f/13.0
Focal Length: 90 mm
ISO Speed: 400
Lens Tamron 90mm macro

3273353033_2cc7a302ea.jpg

Camera: Olympus E-410
Exposure: 0.013 sec (1/80)
Aperture: f/3.5
Focal Length:35 mm
ISO Speed: 100

Hoping for more snow so I can try this again! I have changed over to canon now though so my Oly macro set up has to go :crying:

Stunning, absolutly stunning.
Well done everybody.

Had a bigger eye opener here looking..... some superb shots from you macro users will need to have a go at sometime..... Thanks for sharing, superb just superb (y) (y)....

John

Have no real dedicated macro lens so this was taken on my 400D with a 18-55mm kit lens reversed. Had to use built in flash aswell (don't own off camera flash) :(

4106662070_14606b741a_o.jpg

I think it has to be this one of a wasp - taken with my panny FZ8 and raynox 250:

P1100038.jpg

All of these are just awesome, make my noobish attempts look just that. I aspire to capture something as good as these but I'm not there yet.

3709844830_639e8b329d.jpg

Was this or a photo of an Ichneumon wasp that was soooo tiny and skittish it took ages to get.

Last edited:
4022069193_a3c134c6f4.jpg

Like others have said.After seeing some of the images already posted I am reluctant to post mine.But here goes.Not really a macro but it pleased me at the time.I had only had the camera (my first dslr) for a short while.Taken using a 70-300 g lens.

4022069193_a3c134c6f4.jpg

Like others have said.After seeing some of the images already posted I am reluctant to post mine.But here goes.Not really a macro but it pleased me at the time.I had only had the camera (my first dslr) for a short while.Taken using a 70-300 g lens.

Thats a cracking shot :clap: The pic i chose to post wasn't my best but was one of my first :) This (excellent!) thread is about what the individual sees as his or her best shot , for whatever reasons ;)

Probably not my nicest shot of the year but this species of springtail hadn't been recorded in Scotland up until a couple of weeks ago.....and I found it in my back garden:D
4111022890_fce0bb6c7b.jpg

Larger versions and more info on my Flickr

Great idea Alby and there are some cracking images folks (y)

Not brilliant I know but its the first one that actually very nearly "worked" for me

HF2.jpg

wow!! these are all excellent shots everyone!!!

I need to get me a macro lens. if only everyone wrote down the lens as well while posting the pictures :)

I think that would be great IMO as well a big help for us noobies :clap: :clap:

This is one of my favorites taken with a Canon 100mm macro lens,

Thanks for looking.

Tony.

Nice thread. Some really good images here.

My fave (apologies, already been posted here). Really old bellows & really old Olympus 50mm 1.8.

Pholcus phalangioides (Cellar spider)

I took a fair few insect & arachnid shots this year. Of the few that were posted on here this one's my fave. It's not really got any technical merit, it's just the fluke-timing that made it a keeper!

DSC_0124a.jpg

Oooo, me likey that one mstphoto (y) Is the shot, 'boris' pulling himself out from disaster to serve up some revenge after getting washed down the plug'ole :thinking: :LOL: :p

4022015093_c3e6db4edd.jpg

Again not a true macro.But I dropped on with the hover fly interacting with the butterfly which was my subject.I only saw the fly when I looked later on my lap top.

I cant afford it yet :crying: but i do have my wide angle for sale...where shal that money go? :LOL:

I used cheap macro filters stuck on my 18-55mm lens for a long time, they served me well. Worth getting to practice macro work with until you can get the lens of your choice. I had to wait around a year to get one so I know what its like. I opted for a canon 60mm f2.8, but im now looking to get something in the 100-150mm range too ;)

4022015093_c3e6db4edd.jpg

Again not a true macro.But I dropped on with the hover fly interacting with the butterfly which was my subject.I only saw the fly when I looked later on my lap top.

I'd keep that quiet if I were you and just claim it was exactly the shot you were aiming for ;)

Better than I could do I think Chris.

Cheers Stu (y)
That took a hell of a lot of Patience and a very full "recycle bin"
To get somewhere near what I was after

The secret is of course, in the way that you clean your sensor ;) :D

Actually I'd forgotten about this one... not sure I could call it a favourite though just because he's such an ugly bugger!!

Back