Post your photos from your low-fi camera

Edit My Images
Yes
I've been using TP for about a year now and have realized there are a number of people who enjoy using Low-fi Film cameras and attempting to get the best from them within their limitations. As I had inherited a number of these type of cameras myself and now understand them a little better than I did at first I thought it would be nice to see others photos from such cameras. There are extra virtual points for gaffer tape, hacks, bodges, home built and modified cameras but no standard SLR or range finder shots. please state your camera and include any photos should it be modified or homebuilt.

I'll start off with this photo taken on a Panasonic c-420 af point and press Using Kodak Colourplus 200. just as I first started, I expected it to be really naff so didn't use it for shots of anything I thought to be important but just as this train in Whitby decided to move I ran out of film on my SLR so literally climbed the fence pointed and pressed, I was pleasantly surprised by the result
although I hadn't a clue really how to use it ( I've now read the manual) , ! It seems great at relatively close up shots but has a very narrow depth of field blurring the back ground and struggles with anything other than good light unless its really close and you can use the flash. I do love the look of the photos this camera produces but I'm not sure quite why ?

train.jpg

Last edited:
Dudley canal ,near entrance to under ground canal network 1970's Cosmic 35m By the Russian Lomo company. Kodak Colourplus 200 using sunny 16 rule. Camera rubbed the film near the top (now hopefully smoothed out ) so photo was cropped. f11 1/60th ( cloudy symbol on camera) and 200ASA Kodak colour plus

COSMIC.JPG

Last edited:
Dudley canal ,near entrance to under ground canal network 1970's Cosmic 35m By the Russian Lomo company. Kodak Colourplus 200 using sunny 16 rule. Camera rubbed the film near the top (now hopefully smoothed out ) so photos was cropped.

View attachment 124496

Thought I reconsidered that nice to see some local sights.

Great thread need to get ou with some of my cheap film cameras.

A couple from a 1924 Kodak Brownie No2 Model F box camera. First on Kodak Ektachrome 100, second on Fuji Neopan Acros 100.
The B&W photo is stunning really sharp for such an old camera well done Mr Badger (us in the Badger family must stick together)

The B&W photo is stunning really sharp for such an old camera well done Mr Badger (us in the Badger family must stick together)
Thanks. Badgers of the world unite! :D As you say, it's not too bad a looking result from a 94 year-old camera that has a mass-produced meniscus lens, but if you look closely the edges and corners are fairly soft; so it goes to show that good lighting and contrast can hide a multitude of sins! (y)

Last edited:
An interesting video on basic cameras/ photography

First try with my Praktica Regal point and press not the best results ! There was a light leak from the end of the door which fits really badly and one from the bottom right of the door. I'm trying again with all the door seams taped up and some Kodak colourplus 200. This one although I had to crop the light leaks out appeals to me. Mrs Badger over looking Whitby piers.Again short depth of field with this camera as has my other similar camera the Panasonic c 420 af

BENCH10.jpg
regal1.jpg regal 2.jpg

Last edited:
That's worked well!

I always find if I get to 38 on a film, I really start to get nervous! ;-)

It really is a fantastic place isn't it. I was very lucky to have been there though, in the sense that most forum challenges do not warrant a trip to the Alps! (I just happened to be there on a conference)

O.k some shots from the super dooooopa 99 pence mirror less, battery less hopeless, settings free focus free Akita TT018 I did have to press the button though, apart from on a couple of the shots where someone else pressed the button ! All shots taken in true point and shoot don't worry about any settings ( I couldn't do anything about it if I had !) fashion using £2 a roll Kodak colour plus 200. Processed by Photo Express Hull.

Me of grandson using small flash on hot shoe
1.jpg

Grandson of me using small flash on hotshoe, I think he really has shown my good looks !
2.jpg

Me of Mrs Badger at Whitby on our arrival to the Goth festival weekend Dull over cast
3.jpg

Mrs Badger of me Me at Whitby on our arrival to the Goth festival weekend, dull over cast
4.jpg

Whitby Abbey fairly bright light.
5.jpg

Here are the rest.https://www.flickr.com/photos/28690387@N04/albums/72157690633091720

Last edited:
A few more from the stunning Akita TT018 99 pence stunning mirrorless full frame focus free, quality free camera, Taken in poor light conditions ( I think it may benefit from 400 ASA/ISO film rather than the Colourplus 200 I was using) Taken over the summer of 2018.
A5.JPG

A1.JPG A2.JPG A3.JPG A4.JPG

Last edited:
well - they don't come much more lo-fi than Holgas...

HP5_2010-03-09_003 by The Big Yin, on Flickr

'standard' plastic lens 120 holga (Yep, Helga, the Homeless Holga fame), with 4.5x6 mask fitted Shot on Ilford HP5+, 400 ISO, Home Developed in Ilfosol 3, and scanned on a Canoscan 8800F using Silverfast SE

Elizabeth Frink, Sitting Man II
Yorkshire Sculpture Park, West Bretton, Wakefield

Ilford_FP4_125_2010-032-04_003a-S by The Big Yin, on Flickr

again the 120 plastic fantastic, with the 6x6 mask this time - Second frame from my new toy. Literally - a toy - Holga 120GN. Shot on Ilford FP4+, Developed in Ilfosol 3, 1+14, and scanned on a Canoscan 8800F. Image as per scan apart from a quick rebate crop and black border.

Sandal Castle - literally the second frame (first actual photo) I took with the camera - not bad considering that the viewfinder covers about 60% of the final image (and it's not the center of the image at that...)

Spurn Point Pinholes by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Spurn Point Pinholes by The Big Yin, on Flickr

A couple of pinhole images shot at Spurn Point. Taken with the Holga 120WPC with Red Filter on Ilford Delta 100, Developed in Ilfosol 3, 1+14, and scanned on a Canoscan 8800F and Silverfast SE software. Exposure time was somewhere around 8 elephants.

I'm going to have to dig out my box camera (Kodak Brownie no2) and get myself a Holga as I have quite a few 120 Ilford films to use, great shots. Has anyone tried the Holga 135 ?

A few more from the stunning Akita TT018 99 pence stunning mirrorless full frame focus free, quality free camera, Taken in poor light conditions ( I think it may benefit from 400 ASA/ISO film rather than the Colourplus 200 I was using) Taken over the summer of 2018.
View attachment 136864

View attachment 136860 View attachment 136861 View attachment 136862 View attachment 136863

Those aircraft shots work really well. The combination of the soft edge-focus and the vignette give a nice effect.

Last edited:
Thanks Fishyfish , This camera always amazes me the shots although technically not great seems to have something that appeals to me, a sort of character rather than the sometimes sterile Shots that a much better (technically) camera can take. Although this look is not directly created by me I'm hoping I can use it to make some interesting shots now that I know what to expect.These lowfi shots ( not just mine) remind me of how a painter can sometimes portray a scene making it fully recognizable whilst being quite different than the original. Am I making any sense ? Probably not !

I'm hoping my comments do not cause the usual verbal punch up over art that quite often occurs on here !

Last edited:
Giant Haystack

Giant Haystacks by The Big Yin, on Flickr

No, not the wrestler from that saturday morning program of my early years... just a bloody big haystack. It might not look all that big, but the bales are the ones that are about 3x the size of the old ones that humans could throw about, and are the ones you need a Manitou loader to pick up...

Holga WPC120 again Ilford Delta 100, Kodak D-76, Canoscan 8800F and Silverfast. Shot for World Pinhole day, 2015 - probably the last time I took a film camera out for a proper "run".

Look at that Mushroom...

Altofts Canal by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Fuji Provia 100 slide film souped in Tetenal c41 (cross processed)

You don't realise how much the Holga Vignettes until you shoot something with bugger all exposure lattitude like slide film in it... lose a stop at the corners, and, well - here's what you get.

Looking back I now realise how many lo-fi cameras I have owned so here is a selection. I'll post some taken using an Argus A later, if that counts as lo-fi.

Vivitar Wide, Easter Fair at the Ally Pally. I just sold this camera because I hadn't used it for about 10 years. Looking at this and other pictures I took with it I wonder if I made a mistake.

259_VivitarWide.jpg

Coronet Ambassador box camera, Wigan. As soon as I took this picture I had a security man standing next to me!. Must have been jealous of the camera.

464_CoronetAmbassador_GrandArcadeWigan.jpg

Brownie Cresta II (I think).

473_KodakBrownieCresta.jpg

Agfa Isola, King's Ripton, Cambridgeshire.

635__AgfaIsola.jpg

Home made 6x9 pinhole camera based on an Ensign folder. St. Mary the Virgin, Ecclestone. With a little help from the saturation slider.

1145_HomeMadePinholeCamera.jpg

Last edited:
I had a Coronet F-20 once, unfortunately the shutter was a bit wonky. Pity really because it could take either 620 or 120 film.

461_CoronetF-20.jpg

A selection of shots made using an Argus A 35mm camera. It has two focussing positions for the collapsible 50 f3.5 lens, near and far, shutter speeds from 1/25 to 1/200.Stephen Gandy has an article on it (https://www.cameraquest.com/arg2.htm). The camera produces good results with a bit of luck so maybe it's too good for this thread. I had two at one time but sold them.

335_ArgusModelA.jpg

435_ArgusA.jpg

435_ArgusA_MonumentoNazionali2 copy.jpg

IMG_4560.jpg

Really nice shots Peter

Thanks BADGER.BRAD. They were a bit tricky in PP after scanning because the camera, a 1941 model I seem to remember, had an uncoated lens and there was a lot of flare in the top section of each frame. This simple lens is quite sharp in the centre isn't it?

It is Peter, I seem to have a a reverse idea of what a lot of photographers have in that I seem to be going older and older with the cameras I have and look for cameras that are a bit odd or low tech. I think this is partly as I'm a skin flint and can experiment with plenty of camera at a cheap cost. Rather than constantly spending a fortune and trying to chase the latest tech which you never seem to get to as new equipment comes out just as you have brought yours ( I did this with computers years ago !). Up to this point 1960's is the oldest 135 camera I have so I've always got room to go older !

Up to this point 1960's is the oldest 135 camera I have so I've always got room to go older !

only back to 1934 according to Kodak ;) (of course, that's assuming you're using pre-packaged 135 in canisters, rather than "roll ends" from motion picture reels and hand-loading...)

Last edited:
Not sure if my Cosmic 35m is too high tech here ( it is battery less ,mirrorless and meterless ?) but here are a few from a forgotten roll of Kentmere 400 I found in it a few days ago !
43106.JPG

seeds.JPG
royal enfield.JPG

Last edited:
Back