Pound land film

Name
Jamie
Edit My Images
Yes
So I have recently discovered that pound lands 35mm colour film has been discontinued and as a student photographer, I was heartbroken as i used this on the cheap to develop my skills. Can anybody suggest a cheap option for film that isn't going to set me back too much?

Rollei films are generally cheap especially if bought in blocks of 10 or so.
I don't know of UK suppliers but it's perhaps worth looking up.

There is a thread about this of you dig around in the forum. I can't remember but I think it will be back due to popular demand the thread has 'agfa' in the title.

BLAST!!!!!!

If you can borrow some money it would be best to travel to a Poundland nearest to you (that has stock) and buy the lot and stick it in a freezer\fridge

Hi Jamie:)!

Worcester's Poundland still had loads of 35mm colour film last week (I bought a fair few rolls;))!

So I have recently discovered that pound lands 35mm colour film has been discontinued and as a student photographer, I was heartbroken as i used this on the cheap to develop my skills. Can anybody suggest a cheap option for film that isn't going to set me back too much?
Where are you based? There are still a few Poundlands with stock.

Poundland in Dumbarton has film in the newly designed boxes, qiute a a lot of it despite my attempt to lessen the pile.....expiry date 11/17

Hi Jamie:)!

Worcester's Poundland still had loads of 35mm colour film last week (I bought a fair few rolls;))!
Lucky for some! there are 2 pound lands in Cheltenham and neither have any.. might have to go on a road trip to every pound land in the country and clear them out haha

If you're ever down Yeovil way they usually have a fair bit in stock. So does the Dorchester branch. They're not close enough for you to travel to specifically for film, but if you happen to be around here it's worth a look!

The Poundland web site lists five stores within 15 miles from you, it might be worth ringing each one and asking them over the phone. I've rang the Dorchester one asking before, and the chap just walked down the aisle for me to see if they had any.

Pound Land.jpg

In Bury Lancs now and looking at 100 plus boxes. No plans for discontinuing according to staff!

That's probably the best idea, finding the pound land is the problem!

Well if you spend £15 on fuel to a Poundland return and buy 50 films it works out at £1.30 a roll...still cheap, plus you might buy something else at the same time...for me I like OXO for a drink and for Chilli con carni and an amazing deal at Poundland 14 cubes for £1 and buy 5 packets when I'm there.

Last edited:
Poundland in Dumbarton has film in the newly designed boxes, qiute a a lot of it despite my attempt to lessen the pile.....expiry date 11/17

I stay un the road from Dumarbon what is this new style of box? is this 200is 36 exo?

I wish they did black and white

:(

Convert to B\W in Photoshop....another topic never explored on T&C i.e. someone to use Vista on a subject and convert and the same subject with B\W film to show the difference.

I wish they did black and white

:(

Convert to B\W in Photoshop....another topic never explored on T&C i.e. someone to use Vista on a subject and convert and the same subject with B\W film to show the difference.

The thing is Brian, iirc Simon develops at home and b&w chemistry is cheap and easy to use.

I agree that if processed as C-41, Vista can be converted to monochrome following development so, yes that is an option.

The only other way is to cross process in b&w chems but then there's a certain amount of IQ lost which isn't ideal.

:)

How can I explain this?

Colour film confuses me. It pollutes my mind and my fridge. It has an evil, beguiling siren song whisper - "use me, use me, I'm here to be used. Experience the beauty of colour. You're missing a visual ecstacy that only I can provide.

Colour film is a slut.

Then of course, even if I was to entrust it to minimum wage, untrained, (although perfectly pleasant in most cases) youth at Asda, and had dev. only, that's £2 plus the cost of petrol and I still have to scan it.

In other words, no thanks.

The thing is Brian, iirc Simon develops at home and b&w chemistry is cheap and easy to use.

I agree that if processed as C-41, Vista can be converted to monochrome following development so, yes that is an option.

The only other way is to cross process in b&w chems but then there's a certain amount of IQ lost which isn't ideal.

H'mm Asha well if paying £2-£3 for a roll of B\W film ....but if Vista converted to B\W is crap in comparison then that's that.

:)

How can I explain this?

Colour film confuses me. It pollutes my mind and my fridge. It has an evil, beguiling siren song whisper - "use me, use me, I'm here to be used. Experience the beauty of colour. You're missing a visual ecstacy that only I can provide.

Colour film is a slut.

Then of course, even if I was to entrust it to minimum wage, untrained, (although perfectly pleasant in most cases) youth at Asda, and had dev. only, that's £2 plus the cost of petrol and I still have to scan it.

In other words, no thanks.

...I bet you even have a B\W tv :D

I stay un the road from Dumarbon what is this new style of box? is this 200is 36 exo?

The box has been redesigned, the film is 200iso and I could only find 24 exposure boxes. I have not tried any yet, still have some of the last lot left so the new stuff is in the freezer.

H'mm Asha well if paying £2-£3 for a roll of B\W film ....but if Vista converted to B\W is crap in comparison then that's that.

Tbh I've had some darned good results from cross processing Vista and bumping contrast in PP in the same way when I've devd it C41 and converted to monochrome, but it isn't b&w film and as such cannot offer the same result as a "true" b&w emulsion.

it all depends on what you're happy with as regards the final image.....i would gladly convert Vista again and indeed probably will as i have uggins in the fridge but at the same time i have plenty of B&W films

Well I did have a lot of experience in the old days when I dev colour film at home and before colour printing (with an enlarger) used to check out my shots on B\W paper (as colour paper was expensive) and was amazed at the results and still have these B\W prints around today....but what I never did, as mentioned, was to compare the same subject using B\W film......I'm guessing maybe more tones in B\W film in comparison or whatever.

On the subject of bw film, the cheapest (while still being new and good) i've found has been agfa APX 100 on ebay, sometimes a pack of 6 works out less per roll than a pack of 10, The Ilford 100 and 400 too is worth a go and budget friendly, it's usually less than £4 a roll but post can kill the deal.
We process lots of vista, i buy it cos it's cheap. I don't really like it but i like to redscale it and dev it at work. :)

So, my theory is that 24-shot Poundland Agfa 200 is expensive... to illustrate this, compare 15 Poundland films, plus process and scan at £5 each, total £90, with 10 36-shot Agfa 200s from Macodirect.de, for £35 even including their swinging postage, plus process and scan, total £85!

And the benefit of that Macodirect order is, you can mix and match with Vista 400 (a much nicer film) and many others as well! Just stick to 36-shot, unless you really need the shorter film...

(Other film suppliers are available!)

Unless you do what I often do at Asda is to have two films dev and put onto one CD for £5..I'm sure the girls would put more films onto one CD as there is plenty of room.

Last edited:
Unless you do what I often do at Asda is to have two films dev and put onto one CD for £5..I'm sure the girls would put more films onto one CD as there is plenty of room.
I got six rolls on the disk last time!
AND they have a good lass behind the counter! (knows what she is doing)

Back