Praktica super TL2

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Hey guys, ive got my dads/grandads chinon cs and a few bits I talked about in my other thread. But by a spot of luck was talking to a guy at work and he had some bits he got from his dad that was of no interest to him so sold them to me for £5 :)

i got;
praktica super LT2,
pentacon 50 1.8,
chinon 135 2.8,
a light meter, filters and holder, all in leather cases all pretty clean.

Anyone know anything about the super tl2, looks older than my chinon?

Just had a flick though John-oh's link out of curiosity to see how it compares to the MTL5 that I have. We are both in the same boat for them needing the discontinued 1.35V PX-625 mercury battery to power the meter. I get round it by using a brass adapter that I got off ebay with a hearing aid cell & a couple metal washers as shims. The adapter is meant to allow you to use a 1.5v LR44 in place of the PX-625, but the higher voltage can cause the meter to be out. With a couple of metal washers the smaller 1.35V hearing aid battery works fine.

Otherwise it will be sunny 16 or 11 or another use for that light meter you mentioned in your other thread. I imagine the Pentacon 50mm will be a nice lens optically. I had a later 50mm in Praktica Bayonet & thought it was nice. No idea about the Chinon though, but a 135mm is one of my favourite focal lengths. Have seen some people say that 135mm is too long for portraits & too short for a telephoto but I seem to get on well with it.

If you are handy with a soldering iron, you can wire a Schottky diode in series with the cell and use an normal 1.5v cell. The diode drops 0.2V across itself leaving 1.3 for the meter.

Check that the voltage actually matters though as in some cameras with a bridge circuit, such as the Pentax Spotmatics, the voltage doesn't matter.

It's easy to tell. If the correct exposure is shown by the meter needle being in the centre and this is the position the needle rests in when the meter/camera is off, then it's a bridge circuit which is tolerant of variations in voltage. This is because at its correct exposure position, no current flows through the meter - and if there is no current flow, it doesn't matter what the voltage is!

However, if you have a meter where you have to line up a second needle with the meter needle or read off a number - i.e. a meter where correct exposure could be anywhere in the needle's movement, it is more likely that the voltage accuracy is important. These meters when switched off will show the needle at one end of its travel.

Steve.

No one ever mentions use the larger 1.4v hearing aid batteries they are roughly 10mm in dia......I could use my supply but on my cameras that use the old 1.375v batteries...I've just stuck 1.5v batteries in and adjusted the asa.

Back