Preset for runners

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
Working through some old photos of fell runners. Trying to make them look a certain way. I started off with AUTO in Lightroom. Then into a DXO preset CLASSIC CAMERA 2. A few tweaks in LR and done. I'd like to create a preset in LR that is as close as possible to the finished product. With 100 or so images, it would make the process much quicker. Any thoughts as to how I can achieve this?

192224371_773382093375534_7498593973845228069_n.jpg

Last edited:
Its a nice looking image- I caould tell you how to do that in Photoshop, but I don't use LR

Les :)

Found an interesting vlog on COLOUR LOOKUP in Photoshop. If I work on one image from a park run shoot and export into Colour Lookup Tables ... then I can do a batch action on the rest. Nice one.

LR presets are easy. Go into the Develop Module and apply the changes to create the effect. You can then click on the top right of the Presets panel and create a new Preset. You will be offered all of the possible settings and those you have used will be ticked already so you can accept that or untick any you do not want to include. Once you save your new Preset, you can use as you wish. The only Preset I use relates to calibration but this is applied to all my images when imported. There is plenty of information on the Adobe website on this topic.

Dave

LR presets are easy. Go into the Develop Module and apply the changes to create the effect. You can then click on the top right of the Presets panel and create a new Preset. You will be offered all of the possible settings and those you have used will be ticked already so you can accept that or untick any you do not want to include. Once you save your new Preset, you can use as you wish. The only Preset I use relates to calibration but this is applied to all my images when imported. There is plenty of information on the Adobe website on this topic.

Dave
I've just "processed" a few snaps from a 10K race yesterday in LR.

Open 1, edit the way I like (drop the blacks, lift the vibrancy, pull exposure up a smidge). Right click, copy develop settings, ctrl-A, paste. Done.

It's not the process of editing in LR, copy paste sync etc, It's trying to achieve a look that's a bit different for runners out on the fells and trails. I suppose I'm trying to achieve a "look" that I feel happy with. Runners are "mostly" grateful that people like yourself have given up the time to get out there. Even if I don't manage to find the right preset, dependant on race day conditions, still going to give it a go. Hope it went okay yesterday @JonathanRyan

Those edits look *mostly* like a desaturate and clarity boost. I would have thought the clarity slider would be useful for a gritty fell running look.

You could take a look at VSCO presets. They are ether awesome or the thing that ruined wedding photography depending who you speak to :D. Or this could be worth a look

Runners are "mostly" grateful that people like yourself have given up the time to get out there. Even if I don't manage to find the right preset, dependant on race day conditions, still going to give it a go. Hope it went okay yesterday @JonathanRyan

Thanks - this was just for fun. I'm not racing at the moment but there was a 10K that more or less passed my door so I went to snap people from my club.

BTW really like your shot - I think the soft colours and gritty clarity capture the day. I did a long race over the hills a few weeks ago and sadly the weather was too bad for the official photographers to stay out. Wish somebody like you had been there.

When your in DXO and applied the preset can you not see how the sliders have been altered. If so make a note of them and use them in lightroom to create your preset.

I no longer have Lightroom, but I used DxO Photolab to see if I could process a photo similarly - presumably it's the Nik Analog Efex preset you used?

I made various adjustments and still felt my version looked sharper and more contrasty than the nik Efex one, so I'm not so sure about clarity.

It is an interesting exercise to try and replicate it. Good luck!

Thanks for everyone's input, it's been really useful. Looking forward to my next trip out on the moors.
I do spend quite a bit of time looking for the best spots to shoot from rather than just turning up. Important to know where the sun is, if it appears at all.
Use some of my landscape knowledge to help me achieve a decent shot.

aaaa.jpg

Chose this spot to eliminate the sky and give me less hassle with exposure. Hate shots where the head is fractionally above or below the horizon, not sure why.The curve of the stone path allowed me to "hopefully" have other runners within the frame but less chance of them directly behind each other. Almost the rule of thirds being applied here. With around 100 runners and a fair way into the race, the chances of a shot like the one above was improved.

aaaaaa.jpg

Just noticed today that Adobe were offering a couple of sets of free LR Presets but this is for subscription only. Normally, I would not have bothered but downloaded and installed both sets and I think that you will find something to give the effect you want in the LudwigFavre Collection called "Faded Colours".

Dave

Cheers @Dave Canon I'll take a look. Desperate to get out there and do some snapping, more for the editing side of things than anything else. The edit will depend on the weather conditions and the area I'm shooting in.

On1 used to offer a lot of LR presets free of charge - might be worth a look.

While I remember, you do know about synchronization of settings across photos in LR don't you? Process 1 picture how you want it, then apply that to all selected pictures.

Last edited:
On1 used to offer a lot of LR presets free of charge - might be worth a look.

While I remember, you do know about synchronization of settings across photos in LR don't you? Process 1 picture how you want it, then apply that to all selected pictures.

Learned how to SYNC quite a while back and during lockdown, how to process a batch in Photoshop. I must have taken 100,000 running images over the last 6 years. Runners want to see the photos within hours, along with the results. I just got tired of racing through them and pushing them onto social media asap. When we get back to normal, I'd just like to pick out the best shots and concentrate on achieving a quality product which I'm happy with. People have contacted me in the past and asked if I've got their photo, processed in b&w , in COLOUR! ARGH! :wacky:

Amazing images. I'm reading a lot about Luminar AI but haven't played around with it yet. I never used Light Room either. Photoshop mostly. I'm thinking of going to either the Light room or the Luminar way.

Back