!!!PROBABLE SCAM WARNING!!!

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
DINTOS

This site: hxtp://www.dintos.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=149921

...looks like a scam. They have a Canon 24-70 offered at £437, for instance, which would be very nice. The posted number `is not recognised`, and a firm called `Red Onions`

(http://www.red-onions.co.uk/)

have the following on their site:

"Dintos Warning, it has recently been brought to our attention that a web site

calling themselves ‘Dinitos’ are claiming that DINTOS IS A REGISTERED TRADEMARK

OF RED ONIONS LTD and listing our VAT number and Company number on their web

site. Red Onions Ltd would like to advise that we have no association with

this website despite they fraudulent claims, and this matter has been reported."

I have no reason to think Red Onions are anything but a legit business, even if their images are a bit...funny.

!!!DINTOS - BE WARNED!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its a give away when the crossed out price of the 24-70 is £34,814.92

lolo Good spot though Jon

I think its a give away when the crossed out price of the 24-70 is £34,814.92

lolo Good spot though Jon

I got suspicious when they accepted my offer of just £34,000 for the lens. Any firm who drop eight hundred quid so fast has to be a bit dodgy. :D

They've promised delivery by Christmas.

Just spoken to Red Onions.

Very nice people who are indeed a legit camera firm based near Wells and none too happy about having their good name sullied. Seems that the scammers are a Lithuanian phishing mob. Google have been asked to block the site, but no joy so far.

Dintos.com - WARNING -, it has recently been brought to our attention that a web site, calling themselves Dintos are claiming that 'DINTOS IS A REGISTERED TRADEMARK OF RED ONIONS LTD' and listing our VAT number and Company number on their web site. Red Onions Ltd would like to advise that WE HAVE NO ASSOCIATION with this website, despite they fraudulent claims and this matter has been reported.

Gee, they are putting this out in all European languages. Give away must be the crossed out prices.

Seems that there actually isn't a 'high road' in BS1 either, it's High Street. :LOL:
Well spotted Jon, seems there's quite a few scam sites like that about at the mo, link is to another thread on here. ;)

just ordered a nice Canon Speedlite 580EX II £126.00 bit pricey but what the heck :)

I got suspicious when they accepted my offer of just £34,000 for the lens. Any firm who drop eight hundred quid so fast has to be a bit dodgy. :D

Ye,Christmas 2311..........by the way, Jon, I have a nice 50mm 1.8 for sale at £3049.50 if you want first shout....:p

The .com in the URL and cheap-looking site does it for me... :LOL:

Taken from Dintos "Terms & Conditions"...

"to enable us and all legitimate crime prevention and prosecution authorities to trace individual users engaging in criminal activities on our website."

Oh the irony!

Last edited:
Never a good sign that their domain was registered less than a month ago

whois said:
$ whois dintos.com

Whois Server Version 2.0

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

Domain Name: DINTOS.COM
Registrar: EVERYONES INTERNET, LTD. DBA RESELLONE.NET
Whois Server: Whois.theplanet.com
Referral URL: http://www.resellone.net
Name Server: NS1.DUOMENUCENTRAS.LT
Name Server: NS2.DUOMENUCENTRAS.LT
Name Server: NS3.DUOMENUCENTRAS.LT
Updated Date: 03-sep-2011
Creation Date: 03-sep-2011
Expiration Date: 03-sep-2012

Nor that their primary name servers are in Lithuania and their contact details seem to be missing from the domain record.

Ye,Christmas 2311..........by the way, Jon, I have a nice 50mm 1.8 for sale at £3049.50 if you want first shout....:p

What are you? Lithuanian or something? Bloody scammer! I only paid £2000 to a very nice foreign gentleman for mine. He let me have it cheap because I'm helping him get loads of money out of his country, and he's going to pay me several million commission for doing so!

Note to our Respected Mod Overlords: would a dedicated section for this sort of thing be worth considering? Obviously would need postings to be thoroughly checked to avoid possible libel actions, but I reckon it would be of benefit to all of us.

Note to our Respected Mod Overlords: would a dedicated section for this sort of thing be worth considering? Obviously would need postings to be thoroughly checked to avoid possible libel actions, but I reckon it would be of benefit to all of us.
You could post a proposal in Forum Discussion, and see what folks say. (y)

They don't really crop up enough for it to warrant a completely separate forum :)

Not to worry mate, a very nice Nigerian gentleman has been in touch with me and he's giving me £125 million, so wanting to spread the goodness around I have passed on all our bank details... We'll all soon be getting a huge supprise.... :nuts:

Not to worry mate, a very nice Nigerian gentleman has been in touch with me and he's giving me £125 million, so wanting to spread the goodness around I have passed on all our bank details... We'll all soon be getting a huge supprise.... :nuts:

Funny, I've just had a similar email from someone signing himself "George Papandreou" :D

They don't really crop up enough for it to warrant a completely separate forum :)

But when they do crop up, they can be pretty nasty. I know of a number of people who have been tempted by the wedding scam for instance. Anyone who has been in the wedding game for a while will have heard of this, but newcomers may fall for it.

Some of the scams are quite subtle, and I've seen quite a number of posts around these parts from people asking if, say, a given dealer is legit as their prices or trading methods seem suspicious. When the subject comes up, people do chip in with their own experiences - see the post from Wozzaaah up thread - suggesting that there are plenty of these vermin around. And we need to spotlight them.

Even if the forum didn't get much traffic, I still think it would a valuable service to offer.

Funny, I've just had a similar email from someone signing himself "George Papandreou" :D

This seems like the only legitimate cry for help going round at the moment, Sure brought tears (of laughter) to my eyes.

Asalamalakum? Greetings,

I am Safia Farkash, wife of the brutally murdered Libyan leader Col.Muammar Gaddafi, who before his death he was engaged in embattled by the unfaithful opposition leaders in my country. Following the heat as a result of the crises in Libya and prior to the death of my late husband, Col. Muammar Gaddafi, I was

able to escape to a Neighboring country,Algeria with my daughter who recently gave birth to save our lives. I am desperately looking for a foreign reliable partner whom I can trust to handle some funds on our behalf.

The UN and the Western world have freeze most of our assets and funds bearing Gaddafi's name anywhere in the world Consequently, our status/position of the present state does not permit us to open an account or run any huge financial business at the moment,hence I contacted you to claim the funds. The necessary Legal documents will be changed to your name to enable the release of the funds

to you by the financial Company. Your assistance will enable us invest the funds

in your country. But before we proceed you will promise me that you will not betray or abscond with the funds when it is eventually released to you. Last time the government moved to officially to freeze the assets held by the Libyan

regime in the UK following sanctions imposed by the UN Security Council,it is not even normal for me to be searching for a prospective partner at this time of an irreparable grief and broken heartedness that i am passing through with my family.

But this move is deem fit as we do not know the next line of action by our detractors,hence i want to move all known available funds of the family to a safe place,now that my husband has been killed.Your commitment to assist us will be greatly appreciated. I will furnish you with more info as soon as I see

your response indicating your interest to partner with me. At present I won't receive or make calls for security reason (s) as it is being monitored. All communication is based on internet. Waiting for your prompt and positive response.

Thanks.
Mrs.Safia Farkash Gaddafi

But when they do crop up, they can be pretty nasty. I know of a number of people who have been tempted by the wedding scam for instance. Anyone who has been in the wedding game for a while will have heard of this, but newcomers may fall for it.

Some of the scams are quite subtle, and I've seen quite a number of posts around these parts from people asking if, say, a given dealer is legit as their prices or trading methods seem suspicious. When the subject comes up, people do chip in with their own experiences - see the post from Wozzaaah up thread - suggesting that there are plenty of these vermin around. And we need to spotlight them.

Even if the forum didn't get much traffic, I still think it would a valuable service to offer.

The usual argument (on other forums) for why having a seperate 'scams' forum is a bad idea is that with a low volume there won't be much impetus for many people to constantly read it, and newbies probably won't read it at all, in effect it will then work AGAINST getting the word out to folks, because any posting of scams in general forums where the most eyeballs will see it, will invariably be met by admonishment by the invariable group of 'subforum nazis' that every forum on the internet has, who will insist that if it's a post about scams it 'MUST BE IN THE PROPER FORUM!!!'.

Given the low volume of postings warning of scams on most forums, the best way is to continue as we do here - post individual time-sensitive warnings to a general section where most forum goers will see it. A sticky thread warning about common scams like the wedding photographer scams, or the 'free photo session, prints just £200 ea' scams might be useful though.

This seems like the only legitimate cry for help going round at the moment, Sure brought tears (of laughter) to my eyes.

Mrs.Safia Farkash Gaddafi

Will she be reverting to her maiden name before marriage? :LOL:

Last edited:
the site is now pulled down by the looks of it, good job too

Back