Problem Viewing Galleries

Still don't get why t was intermittent though... Bloody computers!

Supanet shouldn't make any difference as I'm running from it and I've not had any probs!
I told my friend's hubby about the site (see, I'm spreading the word :) ) and he sent me an email saying that he can't see the galleries - only red x's :ponders:

OK Mini. Let me know if he finds a fix as well.
You'll notice I've been a nice Arkady and not posted any photos of my student as requested? Hmmm?

Ever get the feeling we might be selling our souls to Arkady here.........just wait when wolfie starts a revolution...we'll all be dragged in ;)

re: the gallery, no idea about that either!

If you can get screenshots from your friends of what they see, it might be easier to diagnose those that havent been cured yet

When I've finally moved to Surrey I'll have to see if I'm brave enough to submit myself to the scrutiny of one of these little outtings... I hope Arkady has some patience for those afflicted with a lack of skill :embarasse

:eek:ops: wrong thread... but you get the idea :D

dlh said:
I hope Arkady has some patience for those afflicted with a lack of skill :embarasse

He works alongside the US Army doesnt he?

/runs :D

dlh said:
I hope Arkady has some patience for those afflicted with a lack of skill :embarasse

Well, he certainly had lots of patience yesterday!

I once taught Special Forces...nuff said...

Is that like Special Needs Children?

Pretty damn close actually - anyone remember the Comic Strip Presents SAS raid on the waxworks museum with Rik Mayall as the SAS commander?

Damn close...Known as the North-Face Commandos for their penchant for wearing that well-known outdoor clothing manufacturer's apparel.

I BET she uses Norton Internet Security.

If she does tell her to disable it and try it.

If it then works tell her do ditch NIS and get a decent, non bloatware, firewall like Sygate or Zone Alarm :)

She does - I've told her to disable it and re-try to view the folders. I've also advised her to get Kerio, AVG or McAffee instead - I may have to go up to Yorkshire to sort this all out (hopefully:innocent: :dance: ).

minimeeze said:
Supanet shouldn't make any difference as I'm running from it and I've not had any probs!
I told my friend's hubby about the site (see, I'm spreading the word :) ) and he sent me an email saying that he can't see the galleries - only red x's :ponders:

Hi "Mini", still can't see the pics unfortunately and I've tried all the suggestions on this site regarding Norton/Firefox etc:confused- . I'm using Firefox, so tried IE...still no luck. It does'nt seem to be related to where the pic is located cos I can see some pics hosted on this site but not others and can see some hosted externally but not others.

Unfortuantely your photos seem to fall into the category of the ones I can't see. Getting a bit fed up of it now:banghead:

I'll see if I can see them from work tomorrow, ok

I have seen this problem on 2 different dialup connections, one was running a firewall and the other wasn't. From what I have seen it seems like a timeout on the server due to slow connection.

I was browsing one of the posts and found photo's hosted else where worked fine, problem was only with images hosted here.

Catdaddy said:
Yep, Marcel, done that. However... I HAVE A FIX!!!

Not sure how to achieve this with other Firewall software, but with Norton Internet Security on my web proxy, I did this...

1. Click on 'Options' on the bar at the top of the Norton Internet Security window
2. Go to the Web Content tab (therefore nothing to do with the actual Firewall settings, which is what was throwing me...)
3. You should get a list of non-standard websites on the left. Click on 'Add Site' at the bottom of the list
4. Add 'www.thephotographyforums.com' - all default settings will be enabled in the frames on the right of the window.
5. Uncheck the default on 'Information about visited sites' and click on 'Permit', followed by 'OK'

Essentially, you want to be telling the web server that you've visited this site. Typical that it's a rather well-hidden setting. The clue was when Matty said 'tell her to set it to allow this domain'... I hold my hands up and say I was looking in the wrong place (ie the Firewall settings - go figure!)

Let me know how she gets on Rob...

Chris
Catdaddy...
thanks, I tried your suggestion re "information about sites visited" and it's worked:thumb: . I tried all the other things and I still don't really understand why your suggestion worked, but it did the trick.
Now I can see all those lovely pics. Only problems is......they're all so good. Think I'm gonna bin the camera, :hissyfit:
Rich

That's Norton for you!! :suspect1:

I am glad you got it sorted in the end :smilenod:

Norton sucks. It used to be excellent, i remember Norton utilities way back before windows really took over and that was great, but the security stuff sucks!

RickMezza said:
Now I can see all those lovely pics. Only problems is......they're all so good. Think I'm gonna bin the camera, :hissyfit:
Rich

Now you know you don't mean that! Practice makes perfect, so get out and take some pics then let us see :D

Matty said:
Norton sucks. It used to be excellent

Sorry Matty.... I never remember Norton anti virus being ever any good other than hogging all your computer resources..:(

busterboy said:
Sorry Matty.... I never remember Norton anti virus being ever any good other than hogging all your computer resources..:(

not the antivirus, it was the System Tools

once Windows came along though, well that was it

Back