Problem with Canon Speedlite 430 EX II

Name
Gareth
Edit My Images
Yes
I don’t use my flash too frequently but this weekend when I was going to use it at a local dinner, I just could not get it to work as I normally do.
I try to keep things simple and shoot in AV mode but when I tried on the weekend there were long exposures, and a general delay in the flash triggering as it would normally do.
I know I’m not describing this terribly well but I tried resetting some of the flash settings on my 5d MK 3 and my 7 d but nothing changed.
If anyone has any suggestions for a fix, I would be very grateful.

I cant comment on your “as I would normally do’, but what you’re describing is exactly the behaviour I’d expect. In the Auto modes Canon assumes your flash will be the fill and will drop your shutter speed to create the correct ambient exposure.
When you wish to use your flash as the main light source, set your camera in Manual mode and the flash’s Auto (ETTL) will ensure the flash posture is correct (as correct as any auto can).

My general rule is a mid - high ISO and a slowish shutter speed (1/60) to collect some ambient for ‘atmosphere’ whilst leaving the flash to autoexpose the subject.

The other rule of thumb is to ensure your flash exposure metering is set to CW (it’s not by default) which does a better job of evening out the exposure. You’ll find this setting in the flash menu for your camera, not to be confused with the metering mode for the ambient exposure.

I cant comment on your “as I would normally do’, but what you’re describing is exactly the behaviour I’d expect. In the Auto modes Canon assumes your flash will be the fill and will drop your shutter speed to create the correct ambient exposure.
When you wish to use your flash as the main light source, set your camera in Manual mode and the flash’s Auto (ETTL) will ensure the flash posture is correct (as correct as any auto can).

My general rule is a mid - high ISO and a slowish shutter speed (1/60) to collect some ambient for ‘atmosphere’ whilst leaving the flash to autoexpose the subject.

The other rule of thumb is to ensure your flash exposure metering is set to CW (it’s not by default) which does a better job of evening out the exposure. You’ll find this setting in the flash menu for your camera, not to be confused with the metering mode for the ambient exposure.
Thank you so much for your help.
I shall check this tonight.
I’ve not experienced these problems before which explains why I’m so confused.
I’m sure your advice will work here. Thank you very much indeed

As Phil said really, it sounds very like a mode/settings issue.

My default mode for typical social evening type situations is Av, because I want the camera to drop the shutter speed to balance the ambient with the flash. I then use exposure comp on the camera to moderate ambient exposure, and flash compensation on the back of the gun to moderate the flash. This works very well, unless the ambient light level is so low that the shutter speed gets too long. In which case, my first option would probably be to raise ISO, and/or set a lower f/number to push the shutter speed up while keeping the ambient/flash balance right.

Or you can switch to Manual as Phil suggests, or if you would still like to retain auto control, switching most Canons to P will engage a slightly different exposure algorithm. Flash and ambient will be balanced as with Av, but it'll only allow the shutter speed to drop to 1/30sec to avoid excessive blurring, though of course the flipside to that is if the background really needs a longer shutter speed it'll just go darker instead.

Well, I had stroke of luck yesterday. I visited a local camera shop where I recently purchased some studio lighting kit and just happened to mention my flash problem.
The excellent shop assistant came up with the answer immediately. I needed to change the batteries!!!!
How embarrassing!!!!!

Well, I had stroke of luck yesterday. I visited a local camera shop where I recently purchased some studio lighting kit and just happened to mention my flash problem.
The excellent shop assistant came up with the answer immediately. I needed to change the batteries!!!!
How embarrassing!!!!!
:LOL::LOL: That was my first thought, but I don't know a lot about flash which is why I occasionally pop into this part of the forum in the hope that I learn a thing or two - which I have thanks to @Phil V and @HoppyUK

I have a 430EX II also and had problems a while back in that it wouldn't fire.

I've got two sets of eneloop batteries on rotation and they were fully charged so I couldn't figure out what was wrong. Auto, manual, anything I tried, it just wouldn't fire.

In the end, I googled it and the old I.T. classic "Have you tried switching it off and on again?" was the one that worked.

Rather than just turning it off, I took the batteries out completely, and left it for five minutes, then replaced them and it seemed to reset everything and it fired as usual.

Back