Produce & Share a Zine Round II (May - October 2020)

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
Round 2

[Edit - this challenge is now complete. Many thanks to those that took part. I personally feel very enriched photographically after seeing such great work]

IMG_1326.jpg

The idea of this challenge is that you sign up here and commit to producing a zine and posting it to all the other people in this zine group, everyone has to cover their own printing and postage costs and in return gets a fantastic zine collection from the other members of the group.

From Chris' original thread...
Got a project on the go that you never finish?

Got a set of photos that tell a story?

Why not publish them in a Zine and share with a group on here?

This is a thread that aims to get people printing and publishing their work, what you produce and how is up to you.

What is a Zine? The word is a shortened form of the word magazine and the product is a short, small format magazine, generally it is a small circulation, self-published work. For this challenge it is a collection of your photos edited together into a magazine or small book format. Self-published does not necessarily mean self-printed, you can print yourself or you can send your work off to a printing service – there is a thread about that >>here<< For this group a zine isn't just an album or portfolio of your favourite photos or pictures of your family, the aim is to put together a magazine with images that are the product of a project or shot as a coherent set.

Sign-up, chat, banter, progress reports, questions and queries can all be posted in here.

You don't need to decide right now, there are a few of us who are committed to this so watch this thread, hang around, ask questions and start pulling together the content you might include, then when you are comfortable with that let us know.

FAQ:
Q: Too much to read. tl;dr version?
A: You make a zine of your work and send it to a bunch of other people all doing the same thing. You send out ten zines and you receive ten zines. You pay for your postage, they pay for theirs. No money changes hands.

Q: Where can I find more information? What's a zine?
A: Either ask a question on this thread, or...
- Link to the first zine exchange
- Link to the Book & Zine Making Thread.

Q: How big should I make it?
A: As a minimum, I'd suggest A5 sized and containing 10-15 pages. Bear in mind you need to pay for it, and post it, so the bigger or heavier you go, the more cost to you.

Q: How many should I order?
A: It's up to you, but on October 31st, I will be asking people to commit yay or nay so that we can get final numbers of participants so that people can make appropriate print orders.

Q: Wait... Deadline?
A: Yes. Your zine needs to be finished in principle by 31st October 2020. You can then commit formally, and we will know how many people are taking part. Zines should be posted out after the 31st but before the end of November.

Q: New images or old? Theme?
A: It's up to you. Zines tend to be built around themes though rather than being cheap photobooks.

Edit to add confirmed participants:

@Mr Perceptive
@FishyFish
@Harlequin565 (With so few, I am going to send y'all something!)
@flook999
@sirch
@Allan.H
@Shugpug
@Ed Sutton

Last edited:
@Cobra could you unsticky the old one and pin this one up when you get a second?
Thanks in advance!

Good good... I have a habit of killing threads, so good to see this one getting some traction.

I'm in too for what it's worth, so that's 4 of us!

New photos for me. I had a brill idea which now needs executing, so I for one am grateful for the deadline.

I'm in. I have a couple of things I've been meaning to pull together from my files if nothing new pops into my head in the meantime.

I’ve been thinking of making a book or zine for a while, and joining this might give me some impetus. I’ll tentatively throw my hat into the ring...
If you're new to publishing software now's a good time to start learning it!

Be warned, once you start making books and zines it gets addictive. :D

I’ve been thinking of making a book or zine for a while, and joining this might give me some impetus. I’ll tentatively throw my hat into the ring...
If you're new to publishing software now's a good time to start learning it!

In the last round I think several of us ended up shelling out £25 for Affinity publisher, its half price at the moment and seems to be pretty goo value for money

Be warned, once you start making books and zines it gets addictive. :D
BTW, oh go on then, twist my arm ...

Making photobooks masterclasses.

In May SPBH (Self Publish Be Happy) ran four "masterclasses" on creating Photo Books (plus one on Curating a Photo Exhibition) run on Zoom at £10 a class.

They are now making the recordings of the classes available at Vimeo on Demand for $5 a class

The links to the classes so far, are below:

How To Design a Photobook with Brian Paul Lamotte
How To Edit and Sequence a Photobook with Bruno Ceschel
How To Work with Text and Image in a Photobook with Nicholas Muellner
How To Curate a Photography Exhibition with Simon Baker

I didn't take these classes from May, but the details are here https://shop.selfpublishbehappy.com/collections/education

I did however take the four June classes on Contemporary Photography also listed on the same page and each class lasted about 2 hours. The lecturers were well qualified (art curators or university lecturers in photography) and I found the classes, shall we say "challenging", but still very interesting.

For example the class on Contemporary Photography and Feminism was 1hr 15m on feminist theory and 45 minutes about photography. The one on Contemporary Photography and Art, was by an art curator and author of a book "The photograph as contemporary art " which turned out had been a textbook used by many of the class participants when art college students (each class had around 300 - 400 participants). At some point she described her interests as not being photographs and photography (because that was too restrictive) but in all things "photographic", or at least something along those lines, I can't remember exactly. The one on technology was about CGI and AI and lots of other computer ways of generating images and the fashion one was largely the history of fashion photography and for me the easiest one to digest. In fact it completely changed my views on fashion photography, as I found the historical and social perspectives that were presented really interesting.

I only mention these other classes to try and give a flavour of what the photobook master classes might be like, as their approach might not suit everyone, but they are described on the website and I think the Vimeo page gives a brief video introduction to each class before you need to hand over the money.

The Contemporary Photography classes will also be available on Vimeo later on in the month.

May not be of any interest, but just in case.

I intend watching them, but won't get round to it until next month now.

Making photobooks masterclasses.

In May SPBH (Self Publish Be Happy) ran four "masterclasses" on creating Photo Books (plus one on Curating a Photo Exhibition) run on Zoom at £10 a class.

They are now making the recordings of the classes available at Vimeo on Demand for $5 a class

The links to the classes so far, are below:

How To Design a Photobook with Brian Paul Lamotte
How To Edit and Sequence a Photobook with Bruno Ceschel
How To Work with Text and Image in a Photobook with Nicholas Muellner
How To Curate a Photography Exhibition with Simon Baker

I didn't take these classes from May, but the details are here https://shop.selfpublishbehappy.com/collections/education

I did however take the four June classes on Contemporary Photography also listed on the same page and each class lasted about 2 hours. The lecturers were well qualified (art curators or university lecturers in photography) and I found the classes, shall we say "challenging", but still very interesting.

For example the class on Contemporary Photography and Feminism was 1hr 15m on feminist theory and 45 minutes about photography. The one on Contemporary Photography and Art, was by an art curator and author of a book "The photograph as contemporary art " which turned out had been a textbook used by many of the class participants when art college students (each class had around 300 - 400 participants). At some point she described her interests as not being photographs and photography (because that was too restrictive) but in all things "photographic", or at least something along those lines, I can't remember exactly. The one on technology was about CGI and AI and lots of other computer ways of generating images and the fashion one was largely the history of fashion photography and for me the easiest one to digest. In fact it completely changed my views on fashion photography, as I found the historical and social perspectives that were presented really interesting.

I only mention these other classes to try and give a flavour of what the photobook master classes might be like, as their approach might not suit everyone, but they are described on the website and I think the Vimeo page gives a brief video introduction to each class before you need to hand over the money.

The Contemporary Photography classes will also be available on Vimeo later on in the month.

May not be of any interest, but just in case.

I intend watching them, but won't get round to it until next month now.
Ta for the heads up. (y)

If I get bored over the weekend I might give one or two of those a look.

Although I suspect I'll end up shouting at the screen at some point! (I've got that book you mentioned. All a bit academic...)

if you do, it would be good to hear your feedback, you should still be able to type, even if you have lost your voice :)
I've started watching the "How to design..." one. 35 mins in and I'm off to put the kettle on in the hope a brew will wake me up.

Could just be me and my dwindling attention span for watching videos. Although his voice is a bit of a drone.

I got to the end of part one (about an hour) then started skipping. Too dreary, too focussed on making books as objects, and too precious about it all for me. Which is ironic as the bloke started out making photocopied zines. Hey ho.

Just because I gave up on it don't let that put you off!

I might still give the sequencing one a watch.:)

Just because I gave up on it don't let that put you off!
I might still give the sequencing one a watch.:)
Sorry it wasn't more interesting, I'll still watch them as I've mentally set myself up for it and I find I always seem to learn something, even it's not always what I had expected to learn :)

Which is ironic as the bloke started out making photocopied zines. Hey ho.
I think that's much of the charm of zines for me, the quirky individuality. Nothing wrong with doing courses and as @myotis says one usually learns something but it would be a shame IMHO if zines became something that is produced to a formula.

Sorry it wasn't more interesting, I'll still watch them as I've mentally set myself up for it and I find I always seem to learn something, even it's not always what I had expected to learn :)
It wasn't all that interesting to me. The experience maybe reminded me too much of sitting in lecture theatres many moons ago listening to artists taking themselves seriously.

The best bit is right at the start with his five Ws.

Untitled.jpg

I think that's much of the charm of zines for me, the quirky individuality. Nothing wrong with doing courses and as @myotis says one usually learns something but it would be a shame IMHO if zines became something that is produced to a formula.

Part of the problem with the current photobook world (as I see it) is that people are trying too hard to make books 'quirky' with things like some of those shown in the lecture. Gatefold pages, unfinished bindings, dust jackets that are posters. Never mind if the pictures are any good...

</grumpy old man>

It wasn't all that interesting to me. The experience maybe reminded me too much of sitting in lecture theatres many moons ago listening to artists taking themselves seriously.

Yes, I suspect we are coming to this from two very different starting points, so many of these things are new and interesting to me even if I find many of the things I read or listen to now a days hard work. But I enjoy the challenge ;-)

Last edited:
Got carried away and have already produced another zine, 12 copies received today!!! This time in colour and I hope I’ve upped my production values, going to have to make a new one for this exchange :)

View attachment 285506
Any flipthrough previews available?

I'm currently uploading an A6 zine as a test for a possible series - if it works out as I envisage it to. It looks OK as a flipthrough but...

I have a Photobook printed every year documenting our travels.
Would have joined in this enterprise, but don't think my travels this year would need many pages

You lucky lucky people...

I have just test printed my 1st 8 page home made zine. I shall be shipping out a copy to all those who've signed up so far along with the regular zine. This is a strictly limited edition as I see absolutely no use for it going forward unless I somehow become very famous.

My nod to Vivian Maier...

IMG_1412.jpg

I bet y'all can't wait....

Edit to add method:

1. Select 8 images. Front cover, back cover and 6 internal pages.
2. Go into Photoshop and create an A4 or A3 document. I set up "guides" to divide the sheet into 8.
3. Arrange your images as per directions on this page:
4. Fold and cut as per the directions on this page (folding directions on the previous lin were a bit pants).
5. Bob is your auntie's lover.

Last edited:

I have just test printed my 1st 8 page home made zine. I shall be shipping out a copy to all those who've signed up so far along with the regular zine. This is a strictly limited edition as I see absolutely no use for it going forward unless I somehow become very famous.

View attachment 285683

You can have my latest effort in return - another exchange!!!

View attachment 285683

Edit to add method:

1. Select 8 images. Front cover, back cover and 6 internal pages.
2. Go into Photoshop and create an A4 or A3 document. I set up "guides" to divide the sheet into 8.
3. Arrange your images as per directions on this page:
4. Fold and cut as per the directions on this page (folding directions on the previous lin were a bit pants).
5. Bob is your auntie's lover.
Mr Imprecise has had a go at doing the folds for this on a sheet of A4 and doesn't think it's for him... :D

Got up and stupid o'clock and decided to make my first youtube video (as you do!!), so here is the zine in all of its 1min 12sec glory!!

That’s good. You have captured the quietness and calm of lockdown in a very few shots. Particularly well done on the processing as all of the shots have similar colour palette, including the skies - often difficult over a few days or weeks

Back